Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #31
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: Dwight's lack of post moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
The Magic would have beaten the Lakers if Howard had a better low post game last year.

Tell that to some Magic fans.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #32
HisAirness3
Banned

Dwight's post moves will hunt him just like Lebron's jump shot hunted him until last season when it started getting more consistent. No, Dwight doesn't really need post moves, but if he wants to stay in the league and be a top-tier player for a while then he will need some post moves. For now? He doesn't really need any, but he will once his athleticism goes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I've seen Dwight improve with his post moves a little bit this season. However, all his "post moves" were from like 6 ft. and in. He is too easy to defend at this point in his career. If he doesn't get deep position he can't score with his back to the basket and his face-up game is weak.
Correct....

When Dwight scores, it's really based off of deep post-position, he can't really score away from the box area/paint, can't shoot to save his life, can't make his FTs, his passing is only average too. Right now, I would say he's just an above average offensive player, but compared to other centers he's probably the best offensive center by default, with Yao out, Shaq being too old, Bynum playing on a stacked team, etc. Sad how centers work today.
HisAirness3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #33
ShoeGuy
Jordan GOAT

haven't seen him play lately, but he has a fundamental problem of holding the ball too low. Big guys like him should always keep the ball at around shoulder-level to keep defenders from stripping him.

I think more than anything, he needs to work on his free throws. He's definitely not in the same league offensively as prime-Shaq, so he needs to improve FT% otherwise the defense will never give him respect.
ShoeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #34
GiveItToBurrito

That running hook works for him, no reason he needs a ton of other moves. He's not Hakeem or KG, but the bank shot, hook, and dunks are more than enough for him, at least so long as he's huge and athletic. If I were him, I'd actually work on drills to cut his turnovers more than I'd focus on post moves this off season.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #35
gyu
Good college starter

Not trolling but seems like Dwight's current moves won't take him too far against the good post defenders he'll face in the playoffs.
gyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #36
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyu
Not trolling but seems like Dwight's current moves won't take him too far against the good post defenders he'll face in the playoffs.

his post moves are ok, the thing is he has soft touch around the rim unless he is dunking like Pau Gasol or Zach Randolph
O.J A 6'4Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #37
BigSmooth4
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyu

this
BigSmooth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #38
NoLayupsRule2

I would say that his footwork needs some help too. It's pretty....how should I say it in a nice way.....horrendous.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #39
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

The fact that Howard is considered the best center in the current NBA is all I need to know about the quality of center play in this era. He has virtually no offensive skill whatsoever. For someone to shoot over 60% from the field with absolutely no range, or moves, leaves me shaking my head. What would a prime Kareem or Wilt be doing to these uncoordinated clods? The best center in the current NBA, IMHO, is not even considered a center. Pau Gasol has become the best post-player in the league...and it is not even close.

I have maintained that Howard would be no more than a mid-level center in the early 70's. His numbers, particularly his FG% would drop against the likes of Lanier, Reed, Bellamy, Thurmond, Kareem and Wilt. Geez, Hayes, Unseld, and Cowens would dominate in today's game. At least those guys could shoot from 15 ft.

When SI ran that article a couple of years ago about the vanishing center, as bad as it was at that time (basically Shaq, Duncan, and an injury-riddled Yao)...it has become even worse today. And there does not appear to be any great centers on the horizon, either. Oden, with virtually no skills, was the most hyped-up center in High School a few years ago...and he was averagiong something like 14-10 game in HS for cryingoutloud. I seriously doubt Wilt or Kareem EVER had that BAD a game in their HS careers.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #40
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber
I have maintained that Howard would be no more than a mid-level center in the early 70's. His numbers, particularly his FG% would drop against the likes of Lanier, Reed, Bellamy, Thurmond, Kareem and Wilt. Geez, Hayes, Unseld, and Cowens would dominate in today's game. At least those guys could shoot from 15 ft.

Come on, can't say I know much about Bellamy or Lanier, but Howard would feast on undersized players like Unseld, Reed and Cowens, guys who didn't even block shots.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #41
branslowski
BOW DOWN TO GREATNESS

@ jluber or watever...

I know this is a Dwight post move thread....But I cant stand it when ppl overrate the sh!t out of everything oldschool...They make every old school player untouchable while diminishing the current players...
branslowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #42
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Come on, can't say I know much about Bellamy or Lanier, but Howard would feast on undersized players like Unseld, Reed and Cowens, guys who didn't even block shots.

Unseld was not a big scorer, but Howard would have no hope of getting near the basket against him. As for Reed...he could shoot from 15 ft., and was another solid defender. Cowens would have run cirlces around Howard. Cowens, at 6-9, gave Kareem fits.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:37 AM   #43
Kingwillball
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by branslowski
@ jluber or watever...

I know this is a Dwight post move thread....But I cant stand it when ppl overrate the sh!t out of everything oldschool...They make every old school player untouchable while diminishing the current players...

Why he is correct for the most part..Howard is not on the Same level as Centers like Hakeem,DRob,Ewing,Prime Shaq or even as Skilled as Smits,Sabonis. He is a Cross between Zo and Deke

Last edited by Kingwillball : 05-17-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Kingwillball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #44
cotdt
Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan

D. Howard, the best center, during 2009 Finals:
15.4PPG on 48% FG, 60% FT shooting, 4 TO

Pau Gasol during 2009 Finals:
18.6PPG on 60% FG, 80% FT shooting, 1 TO

I'm still trying to understand the hype behind Howard. He is not a go-to type player, he just rebounds and defends. He's a very good role player sure, but superstar?

Last edited by cotdt : 05-17-2010 at 01:41 AM.
cotdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #45
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber
Unseld was not a big scorer, but Howard would have no hope of getting near the basket against him. As for Reed...he could shoot from 15 ft., and was another solid defender. Cowens would have run cirlces around Howard. Cowens, at 6-9, gave Kareem fits.

Howard would definitely get his points vs those guys. None of them had near the athleticism or size to deal with Howard would get his offensive rebounds, lob passes and transition baskets.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: