Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #46
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Dwight's lack of post moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt
D. Howard, the best center, during 2009 Finals:
15.4PPG on 48% FG, 60% FT shooting, 4 TO

Pau Gasol during 2009 Finals:
18.6PPG on 60% FG, 80% FT shooting, 1 TO

I'm still trying to understand the hype behind Howard.

And Gasol is a better player today, than last year. The tragic fact, though, is that Bynum is considered the Laker's center. He is another non-skilled, non-athletic clod.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #47
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber
And Gasol is a better player today, than last year. The tragic fact, though, is that Bynum is considered the Laker's center. He is another non-skilled, non-athletic clod.

In reality, Gasol spends more time at C than PF due to Bynum's injuries and the effectiveness of the Gasol/Odom lineup.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 AM   #48
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
In reality, Gasol spends more time at C than PF due to Bynum's injuries and the effectiveness of the Gasol/Odom lineup.

No argument there. Bynum, when healthy, can barely the dunk the ball, and has no shot over 5ft.

Regarding my comment on Cowens...take a look at the 73-74 Finals against Kareem...

http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/finals/1974.htm

Kareem was brilliant, of course, but Cowens had games of 18, 17, 30, 24, 28, 13, and in the pivtal game seven...he put up a 28-14 game to Kareem's 26-13.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #49
artificial
:-P

Quote:
DH: I think people have the misconception that you have to have a lot of moves in the post. For a player like myself, it's just one move and a counter on both blocks. I don't have a lot of time to do a lot of moves because of the double teams and how people play me.
Bolded part sounds like a reason to develop more post moves, rather than to give up on them.

No matter how you look at it, guarding a guy that has an array of post moves is harder than guarding a guy that has "just one move and a counter",
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 AM   #50
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

Thanks to Fatal9's contributions, we know that Kareem, in the 85-86 season, absolutely crushed Hakeem H2H (three games in which he averaged 42 ppg.) And Kareem was the oldest player in the league at the time...and well past his prime. YET, as great as Kareem was, the centers of the early 70's (and Walton a few years later) put up some pretty solid numbers against him. Don't get me wrong, in the early 70's Kareem was at his best, and he dominated the league. Still, Thurmond and Wilt, both past their peaks, battled him to draws in their post-season H2H's. You already saw Cowens' numbers. Lanier, Hayes, Bellamy, and Reed all had decent numbers against him, as well. And in the 70-71 Finals, while Kareem outscored Unseld, Unseld outrebounded him, per game, 19.5 to 18.5 rpg.

Those were QUALITY pivotmen back then. Throw in Gilmore, and later on Walton, and you had an era of centers that was unmatched in NBA history.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #51
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Quote:

Bynum non skilled? You can call Bynum alot of things but not skilled? that certainly is not one of them. Bynum has some of the best post moves and movement in the low block in the league.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:57 AM   #52
Richard 23
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Net
Bynum non skilled? You can call Bynum alot of things but not skilled? that certainly is not one of them. Bynum has some of the best post moves and movement in the low block in the league.

...I love how Laker fans turn their players into Gods. Why can't you guys just find a balance?

Bynum has potential and skill, but he gets injured before he can really prove anything.
Richard 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:18 AM   #53
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard 23
...I love how Laker fans turn their players into Gods. Why can't you guys just find a balance?

Bynum has potential and skill, but he gets injured before he can really prove anything.

What the hell are you talking about? where am I turning him into a god? it's a fact that Bynum is very skilled and does have some very good post moves. He has alot of work to do to get what he needs to get to...that doesn't mean he isn't skilled and talented. Where did I big his game up exactly? alot of players can be skilled and have great post moves and not do anything worth while.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 AM   #54
theDragicLegacy
Banned

Quote:
wow moron, Bynum actually is one of the top 3-5 most skilled big men in the league offensively. He has beautiful fundamentals and footwork and a huge variety of moves he utilizes. Do you ever watch him play? He truly is an old school type big man, you'd probably like his offensive game.

Bynums problem is he doesn't box out or rotate well defensively.
theDragicLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:00 AM   #55
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
while Kareem outscored Unseld, Unseld outrebounded him, per game, 19.5 to 18.5 rpg.

19.5 vs. 18.5...

that's so trivial, man. not even noticeable.

would people even know who got more rebounds if they had no stat sheets to look at?
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:38 AM   #56
Doo Doo_Brown
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDragicLegacy
wow moron, Bynum actually is one of the top 3-5 most skilled big men in the league offensively. He has beautiful fundamentals and footwork and a huge variety of moves he utilizes. Do you ever watch him play? He truly is an old school type big man, you'd probably like his offensive game.

I like Bynum too but to say that he has a huge variety of moves is an overstatement. Yao has a huge variety of moves.
Doo Doo_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #57
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

he doesnt have a soft touch, so that hurts also.
O.J A 6'4Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #58
TROLL_HUNTER
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo Doo_Brown
I like Bynum too but to say that he has a huge variety of moves is an overstatement. Yao has a huge variety of moves.

Agree. Bynum is playing alongside great players that make the game easy for him, too. take Gasol's brother, Marc, and he is a dancer compared to Bynum. If he played for the Lakers he would be considered top 5 center at the very least but like Pau before hes also suffering the "memphis grudge"

As for Howard, its just a sin to call him Superman. that honor goes to only 2 persons in this world: Clark Kent or Shaq. Seriously, the guy is a star, or superstar if you wish, but hes extremely far from the very best players in the league (aka Lebron, kobe, wade, etc) He takes very good advantage of his few skills but cant go any higher than a tier 3 star/superstar/whatever
TROLL_HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: