Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > San Antonio Spurs Forum

San Antonio Spurs Forum San Antonio Spurs message board - San Antonio Spurs forum

Old 04-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
BarberSchool
93 MJ Uber Alles

BarberSchool has decent reputation
Default Re: San Antonio Spurs @ Dallas Mavericks Game Thread (Mavs lead series 1-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by effortwins
I actually have Spurs in 6/7 in my bracket, and I have no problem with Game 1's loss. Dirk shot 86%, and if he beats the spurs shooting 60%+ every game, then so be it, I made a bad pick. I think San Antonio will be able to pull out this series. I think Parker will turn it on this game, and get to the rim a lot. All I know is, it's going to be a really good game and a good series in total.
So are you assuming Dirk will not shoot 86% again(safe bet), YET San Antonio WILL shoot 60% for the series?
BarberSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #17
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation
Default Re: San Antonio Spurs @ Dallas Mavericks Game Thread (Mavs lead series 1-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberSchool
So are you assuming Dirk will not shoot 86% again(safe bet), YET San Antonio WILL shoot 60% for the series?

he means dirk shooting + 60% for the series
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
BarberSchool
93 MJ Uber Alles

that'd be a real b!tch though if Dirk went 12-14 again tonite.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
Arti
I hit open layups

Arti has an OK reputation so far

The Spurs don't get enough from anyone outside of Duncan/Ginobili/Parker. Jefferson was supposed to be the guy to take pressure off of them, but that's been a season-long failure. Their Big 3 actually put up good numbers in game 1 too. Unless Jefferson blows up (or someone random like Blair has an out-of-nowhere good game), I don't see the Mavs losing more than a game in this series.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #20
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

jefferson has 1 good game out of about every 5. so i expect him to show up at least once in this series. my money's on game 3.

hill being out/injured is the real killer though - to muster even one win without him is going to be extremely difficult imo. he's our 4th best scorer and he doesn't necessarily need the ball to be effective. as his health goes so goes our chances of stretching this series.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayTownRy
jefferson has 1 good game out of about every 5. so i expect him to show up at least once in this series. my money's on game 3.

hill being out/injured is the real killer though - to muster even one win without him is going to be extremely difficult imo. he's our 4th best scorer and he doesn't necessarily need the ball to be effective. as his health goes so goes our chances of stretching this series.
this might sound weird, but its better he's out than what happened in game 1, in wich they were counting on him, but he couldn't move, and just was so down it hurt the team. of course it would be better he's healthy but you do what you can. Spurs fans must cringe anytime someone gets hurt, it feels like your teams injuries linger forever.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #22
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Spurs didn't get much help outside their Big 3 to be sure.

But its not like Marion and Terry are going to combine for a piddling 6/19 every game either.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #23
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
The Spurs didn't get much help outside their Big 3 to be sure.

But its not like Marion and Terry are going to combine for a piddling 6/19 every game either.

I haven't watched the Mavs too much this year. What i have, it's absolutely shocking how Marion has embraced his role. Every othe rplace he went, he didn't. But here, 100% embraced it. Either Carlisle is a great coach or Marion realized he'd be shipped out again to a worse situation if he kept it up.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #24
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
this might sound weird, but its better he's out than what happened in game 1, in wich they were counting on him, but he couldn't move, and just was so down it hurt the team. of course it would be better he's healthy but you do what you can. Spurs fans must cringe anytime someone gets hurt, it feels like your teams injuries linger forever.

that's true. and if he sits and can actually get right for game 3 or 4, it could pay off in the long run.

it just sucks that if georgie can't go, mason ends up getting his minutes.. i'd like us to run garrett temple out there over mason. that guy plays d, runs the point more naturally than mason, and hits the corner three - he's kind of a mini hill

also be interesting to see if anyone responds to pop's calling out. rj responded to stackhouse calling him out with some stellar play a month or two ago. we'll see who is capable of motivating him.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #25
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayTownRy
that's true. and if he sits and can actually get right for game 3 or 4, it could pay off in the long run.

it just sucks that if georgie can't go, mason ends up getting his minutes.. i'd like us to run garrett temple out there over mason. that guy plays d, runs the point more naturally than mason, and hits the corner three - he's kind of a mini hill

also be interesting to see if anyone responds to pop's calling out. rj responded to stackhouse calling him out with some stellar play a month or two ago. we'll see who is capable of motivating him.

I thought pop's outburst was too over the top. There is no where else to go. They didn't play like dogs, they were a bit out of sync and lost. He said so much that if they don't win, where go you go for game 3? We played like dogs again? Seemed panicky...

I really expect today the Spurs to jump out 10-2, 21-10, and the qusetion will be can Dallas withstand the early charge.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
I thought pop's outburst was too over the top. There is no where else to go. They didn't play like dogs, they were a bit out of sync and lost. He said so much that if they don't win, where go you go for game 3? We played like dogs again? Seemed panicky...

I really expect today the Spurs to jump out 10-2, 21-10, and the qusetion will be can Dallas withstand the early charge.

yeah, pop's emotions certainly got the best of him. the players usually respond well though.

yeah, i agree they'll come out looking to hit the mavs in the mouth. the spurs were actually one of, if not the, best 1st quarter team in the league so they're certainly capable of jumping out early - they've just struggled to maintain that intensity for 48 minutes.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #27
Moan

Worst game thread of all time... a cavs fan made it? Where the hell are the Mav fans? Could of atleast put some more work on the first post... but then again it's not like you care about the series.

Like Pheonix18 said, follow the proper etiquette b!tch.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #28
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here

It really sucks that George Hill has to be fighting through an injury at this point, at the beginning of the playoffs, because the Spurs played their best basketball of the season when he was our starting point guard. The problem with that (which is similar to when Tony Parker was out) is that we have no reliable backup at the point guard spot. Obviously Garrett Temple would be the best option over Roger Mason, due to his absolutely horrendous play throughout the season. But even if Temple were to take Mason's minutes, he would not be a difference maker in any playoff game.

Mason has played so poorly, it makes me miss Michael Finley. It's hard to even take Manu Ginobili or Tony Parker out of the game at this point because it's hard to rely on Mason and Bogans (NBA veterans) to produce at all. Bogans has been inconsistent, but Mason has been totally absent, gone. It's as if someone possessed his body last season and left us only his untalented corpse. If he plays tonight he deserves no more than 10 minutes a game because his production is non-existent this year.

I don't even know what to say about Richard Jefferson. Is it a confidence issue, or is he just headed downhill, is it the Spurs' system? I don't know. But for a guy, who is expected to be a difference maker and a major scoring option on this team, to only take 4 shot attempts in a playoff game is outrageous. You scored 20 PPG last season, RJ. Did you leave your skill set in Milwaukee? Step it up.

Last thing, defense and rebounding. Nowitzki is our biggest problem. Clearly it's not an easy task to stop the guy, but we need to at least slow him down. Throw 2 bodies at him and make him work for his points. No more 86% shooting performances from him or we won't even contend in this series. We switch on the pick and rolls and a lot of the time we end up getting a guard or a smaller defender on him. We need to defend well, if he gets hot we need to resort to double teaming. Even if our defensive rotations have killed us this season, it's probably a better option than letting his go off on us the entire series. Rebounding, we need to crash the boards. Tim Duncan can't grab 20 boards a night and along the front line and even the bench we are relatively weak and undersized when it comes to rebounding. There was a point where Brendan Haywood was killing Blair with just offensive rebounds in Game 1. We need McDyess, Blair, Duncan, Bonner, RJ (any additional guard help) to produce consistently on the boards and limit second chance opportunities from a much bigger Dallas team.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #29
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT
It really sucks that George Hill has to be fighting through an injury at this point, at the beginning of the playoffs, because the Spurs played their best basketball of the season when he was our starting point guard. The problem with that (which is similar to when Tony Parker was out) is that we have no reliable backup at the point guard spot. Obviously Garrett Temple would be the best option over Roger Mason, due to his absolutely horrendous play throughout the season. But even if Temple were to take Mason's minutes, he would not be a difference maker in any playoff game.

Mason has played so poorly, it makes me miss Michael Finley. It's hard to even take Manu Ginobili or Tony Parker out of the game at this point because it's hard to rely on Mason and Bogans (NBA veterans) to produce at all. Bogans has been inconsistent, but Mason has been totally absent, gone. It's as if someone possessed his body last season and left us only his untalented corpse. If he plays tonight he deserves no more than 10 minutes a game because his production is non-existent this year.

I don't even know what to say about Richard Jefferson. Is it a confidence issue, or is he just headed downhill, is it the Spurs' system? I don't know. But for a guy, who is expected to be a difference maker and a major scoring option on this team, to only take 4 shot attempts in a playoff game is outrageous. You scored 20 PPG last season, RJ. Did you leave your skill set in Milwaukee? Step it up.

Last thing, defense and rebounding. Nowitzki is our biggest problem. Clearly it's not an easy task to stop the guy, but we need to at least slow him down. Throw 2 bodies at him and make him work for his points. No more 86% shooting performances from him or we won't even contend in this series. We switch on the pick and rolls and a lot of the time we end up getting a guard or a smaller defender on him. We need to defend well, if he gets hot we need to resort to double teaming. Even if our defensive rotations have killed us this season, it's probably a better option than letting his go off on us the entire series. Rebounding, we need to crash the boards. Tim Duncan can't grab 20 boards a night and along the front line and even the bench we are relatively weak and undersized when it comes to rebounding. There was a point where Brendan Haywood was killing Blair with just offensive rebounds in Game 1. We need McDyess, Blair, Duncan, Bonner, RJ (any additional guard help) to produce consistently on the boards and limit second chance opportunities from a much bigger Dallas team.
The problem is if the spurs double dirk, they arent athletic enough to recover to the remaining mavs. Its one thing to double if you are super athletic or have a great shot blocker but the spurs have neither(no duncan isnt a great shotblocker anymore). The other big thing that kills them is that if we have too, dirk can come alot closer to guarding duncan than duncan can to guarding dirk. All of that said, Dirk wont be as hot as he was last game(would be awesome if he was though) and the mavs only have two other players that can shoot besides dirk(kidd and terry) so if i was the spurs id pack the lane and hope that the mavs go cold because quite frankly the mavs are just better than the spurs and thats the only hope they have.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #30
BarberSchool
93 MJ Uber Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moan
Worst game thread of all time... a cavs fan made it? Where the hell are the Mav fans? Could of atleast put some more work on the first post... but then again it's not like you care about the series.

Like Pheonix18 said, follow the proper etiquette b!tch.
Kentatm, I'm looking atchu.
I'm a Bulls fan 1st, so I won't do it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: