Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Oklahoma City Thunder Forum

Oklahoma City Thunder Forum Oklahoma City Thunder forum - OKC Thunder message board

Old 04-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #496
LakersFan626
I hit open 5-footers

Default Re: Round 1, Game 3, April 22: Lakers at Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea he didn't drive once this game I don't think... 30 attempts and not one drive. Unless he got fouled on a jumpshot he wasn't going to the line.

The whole Lakers team played well tonight aside from Kobe... The Lakers should have won this game and the series would be over.

The whole team? Maybe the rest of the starting lineup but the bench was nonexistent almost... that was a big reason they lost, outside of the large amount of threes they took (31!) and not using the size advantage as much as they should have. If ONE person on the bench showed up the Lakers would have won... Kobe was NOT the only reason the Lakers lost.
LakersFan626 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:22 AM   #497
RazorBaLade
Banned

Unhappy Re: Round 1, Game 3, April 22: Lakers at Thunder

to swaggin

Odom & Bench = ghosts, artest could have had a great game but his foot was on the line for those 2 shots which would have changed everything. Fisher and gasol played good, bynum played average. Not only kobes fault
RazorBaLade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:28 AM   #498
oh the horror
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersFan626
The whole team? Maybe the rest of the starting lineup but the bench was nonexistent almost... that was a big reason they lost, outside of the large amount of threes they took (31!) and not using the size advantage as much as they should have. If ONE person on the bench showed up the Lakers would have won... Kobe was NOT the only reason the Lakers lost.

True. He was not the only reason, but its crucial they take care of possessions and score when they need to. Kobe does not need damn near 30 shots like that. It is simply TOO many when he isnt hitting....especially down the stretch when the game is close, and the ball is in his hands about 90 percent of the time, and hes just launching them up.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:28 AM   #499
oh the horror
5-time NBA All-Star

And someone really needs to wake up Odom and inform him that the playoffs have indeed begun.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 AM   #500
RazorBaLade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
True. He was not the only reason, but its crucial they take care of possessions and score when they need to. Kobe does not need damn near 30 shots like that. It is simply TOO many when he isnt hitting....especially down the stretch when the game is close, and the ball is in his hands about 90 percent of the time, and hes just launching them up.

I have a question. You say that's too many shots when it isn't going down.. Where is the line drawn when finding out whether or not it's your night? I mean we've seen Kobe come out and dominate, we've seen him start 8/12 and then finish under 50%. We've seen him start 3/12 and finish at 50% or over. When do you want Kobe to decide that it's done, and his next shot isn't going in. How can you say for SURE that Kobe won't make 3 threes in a row the next 3 times down the floor. Do you really want him to turn into that guy who is 6/6 from the field in the first quarter, and ends the game 6/9? Missed a few times and stopped shooting?

Scenario: Kobe is 8/25, Lakers down 2 late 4th q (so a similar situation to this game) On one hand we have Kobe taking 3 jumpers the next 3 plays down, on the other he doesn't shoot those 3 plays, he gives the ball up. What do you think , as history has told us, has a higher chance of happening. A) Kobe makes 2 or all 3, hailed as unbelievably clutch, LA wins game. B) Kobe passes to Bynum and Odom twice. They don't come through in the clutch and LA loses.

Last edited by RazorBaLade : 04-23-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:52 AM   #501
oh the horror
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
I have a question. You say that's too many shots when it isn't going down.. Where is the line drawn when finding out whether or not it's your night? I mean we've seen Kobe come out and dominate, we've seen him start 8/12 and then finish under 50%. We've seen him start 3/12 and finish at 50% or over. When do you want Kobe to decide that it's done, and his next shot isn't going in. How can you say for SURE that Kobe won't make 3 threes in a row the next 3 times down the floor. Do you really want him to turn into that guy who is 6/6 from the field in the first quarter, and ends the game 6/9? Missed a few times and stopped shooting?

Scenario: Kobe is 8/25, Lakers down 2 late 4th q (so a similar situation to this game) On one hand we have Kobe taking 3 jumpers the next 3 plays down, on the other he doesn't shoot those 3 plays, he gives the ball up. What do you think , as history has told us, has a higher chance of happening. A) Kobe makes 2 or all 3, hailed as unbelievably clutch, LA wins game. B) Kobe passes to Bynum and Odom twice. They don't come through in the clutch and LA loses.

I really dont know where the line is, but I think in crucial situations, when he isnt hitting outside jumpers or threes (watched him take two long ones, and cringed several times) I think he either needs to make a mental decision to drive the lane, draw fouls, or try to get into that paint a bit more to try and find his rhythm in other ways. Trying to shoot yourself out of a slump in a game that close isnt advisable by any means....

While I know that he HAS indeed shot himself out before....LATELY (the last chunk of games, and into the playoffs) Kobe has been shooting very poorly, so at this point, he really needs to decide how to get himself going other ways....

Drive, dish, distribute. Because I think the line gets drawn clearly when your slump lasts for several games. I mean what has he been shooting for the last few games? Like in the 30 percent ranges? That isnt going to do it when you're throwing up 20-30 shots per game. Obviously his finger is just destroying his shot. He has to adapt somehow.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 AM   #502
macpierce
Arcadia, CA

if kobe cant be a dominate scorer who can get 30-40 points efficiently, the lakers chances of repeating are going down. Youve got a guy over there in cleveland who can drop 40-8-8 and make it seem like another day in the office.
macpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:50 AM   #503
King Lebron LBJ
I am A Witness

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpierce
if kobe cant be a dominate scorer who can get 30-40 points efficiently, the lakers chances of repeating are going down. Youve got a guy over there in cleveland who can drop 40-8-8 and make it seem like another day in the office.

Indeed, I think is more of a worry that guys like Artest and Odom are simply not producing offensively.
King Lebron LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:04 AM   #504
SFMF
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpierce

It's hard to say this but Lakers are lucky that Artest has given Durant some trouble so far % wise. Kobe's averaging 28 PPG with 0.368 FG% right now. So far, all three games have been close games.
SFMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #505
RazorBaLade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
I really dont know where the line is, but I think in crucial situations, when he isnt hitting outside jumpers or threes (watched him take two long ones, and cringed several times) I think he either needs to make a mental decision to drive the lane, draw fouls, or try to get into that paint a bit more to try and find his rhythm in other ways. Trying to shoot yourself out of a slump in a game that close isnt advisable by any means....

While I know that he HAS indeed shot himself out before....LATELY (the last chunk of games, and into the playoffs) Kobe has been shooting very poorly, so at this point, he really needs to decide how to get himself going other ways....

Drive, dish, distribute. Because I think the line gets drawn clearly when your slump lasts for several games. I mean what has he been shooting for the last few games? Like in the 30 percent ranges? That isnt going to do it when you're throwing up 20-30 shots per game. Obviously his finger is just destroying his shot. He has to adapt somehow.

I feel ya, but I look at it a bit different. I don't think LA can win it all without Kobe being great, and Kobe is either gonna shoot himself out of it (get an understanding of how to score effectively with the finger injury) or he'll play this way until he gets surgery on it and rest. If this was the bench of 08 or even last year, I'd want him to become the playmaker, avg 7 ast a game. But since I don't think we can beat everyone, esp Cle since they have Bron who can carry them for a game if Kobe can't carry us for a game. I'd rather lose 2 games because he's trying to get his shot and then win the next 15 instead of beat okc 4-0, beat denv 4-0, beat dallas 4-0 and then get destroyed by a team such as Cle because they have a healthy guy that can drop 40 who has found his shot and entered peak form for the finals and we simply have someone who shot so bad he actually stopped shooting.

But anyways, the funny thing is and it's always been this way with Kobe.. he can come out and score 50 the next game, LA wins by 20 and everything is back to normal again. I refuse to believe that Kobe doesn't have it in him, banged up or not. Keep shootin, son. Btw no one is talking about Kobe passing Jerry west in playoff laker scoring.. Jerry's records are a damn curse, first Kobe got major criticism after passing his record in regular season and now here. Talk about a jinx.

Last edited by RazorBaLade : 04-23-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #506
joyner82
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMF
It's hard to say this but Lakers are lucky that Artest has given Durant some trouble so far % wise. Kobe's averaging 28 PPG with 0.368 FG% right now. So far, all three games have been close games.

If Durant adjusts to this level of play and he gets back to his regular season form the Thunder will win the next 3 games. The Lakers can not match up and with Durant showing the ability to lock down Kobe late, LAL is in serious trouble if they don't win game 4.
joyner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #507
RazorBaLade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner82
If Durant adjusts to this level of play and he gets back to his regular season form the Thunder will win the next 3 games. The Lakers can not match up and with Durant showing the ability to lock down Kobe late, LAL is in serious trouble if they don't win game 4.

Take off the goggles, Kobe missed shots he usually makes. Durant didn't lock down anything.

btw thats a lot of ifs.. I've got some. If Kobe gets back to his regular form and Odom appears the thunder will start hitting the showers literally midway into the 2nd quarter. The coach will look over to put a player into the game but as he looks over the camera pans and there is no one on the bench, they are already going home.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #508
SFMF
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:

They will win, it doesn't matter if it's in 4, 5 and 6, but not 7 and they aren't expected to play like the games so far. Phil won't just sit down and do nothing. OKC's one bench player stepped up a little today, but I am not certain if that's going to be continued.
SFMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #509
joyner82
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
Take off the goggles, Kobe missed shots he usually makes. Durant didn't lock down anything.

btw thats a lot of ifs.. I've got some. If Kobe gets back to his regular form and Odom appears the thunder will start hitting the showers literally midway into the 2nd quarter. The coach will look over to put a player into the game but as he looks over the camera pans and there is no one on the bench, they are already going home.

Kobe was 10-21 in the game when Durant was not on him, or 47.6% which is better than his regular season percentage. With Durant on him he went 0-8. Yes clearly that was it.

And no it's 1 if. If Durant returns to form, like he displayed in the 2nd half, this series is over and the 8 will beat the 1.
joyner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #510
RazorBaLade
Banned

Quote:
Kobe was 10-21 in the game when Durant was not on him, or 47.6% which is better than his regular season percentage. With Durant on him he went 0-8. Yes clearly that was it.

And no it's 1 if. If Durant returns to form, like he displayed in the 2nd half, this series is over and the 8 will beat the 1.

how can you compare 21 shots to 8? Kobe has had stretches in games in his career where he misses a ton of shots in a row then ends up at 50%. 8 shots isn't enough man. Artest has been working Durant for 3 games and it's STILL too early to say he's shut down Durant.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: