Originally Posted by BALLin01
I'm only 5'8 and I want to know how to maximize my skills. I have a lot of time on my hands so I can practice for up to 2-3 hours daily. Any tips?
here's some shooting/triple threat drills that i do, if you put in 2~3 hrs daily, i think you'll be a pretty good 1 on 1 player in a month or two.
pick 5 spots on the court , usually i just do left 45, left baseline, right baseline, right 45 and top
do the following at each of the 5 spots in game speed.
1. start in triple threat position, pump fake, take a step and a dribble to the right and pull up make 5 (focus on the foot work so you dont travel)
2. start in triple threat position, pump fake, take a step and a dribble to the left and pull up make 5
3. start in dribbling position like you are about to take someone off dribble, cross over to the right and pull up . make 5
4. start in dribbling position, cross over to the left and pull up. make 5
5. make 5 threes
6. start in triple threat position or off dribble which ever you want to work on or happens to you in game situation the most. go to the right and make 5 lay ups
7.start in triple threat position or off dribble which ever you want to work on or happens to you in game situation the most. go to the left and make 5 lay ups
once you done all 5 spots, hit 50 free throws to wrap it up
you might want to modify it to fit your game , try to time yourself week by week and set a targeted finish time so you know you are improving.
things that i would watch out for while doing these drills:
1. slow your shot fake so you are not just pumping it systematically
2. watch your first step , make sure your dribble hit the ground before at the same time
3. stay consistent with your form,
4. go quick on the move (e.g. slow shot fake but fast drop step n dribble, or slow off the dribble but quick cross)
5. Do them in game speed
this drill will make you a pretty decent 1 on 1 player whether street or regulation. but if you are more a role player than first offensive option on the team , modify it to fit your game, so you are doing more shooting or more slashing.