Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-10-2006, 04:47 AM   #31
statman32
NBA Legend

Quote:
you realize that if the nfl did a 4 team playoff pitt wouldnt have gotten in last year right?

yah thats the nfl...they dont have to worry about school amd winter break

you cant compare nfl to ncaa ever
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:19 AM   #32
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

If they did implement a 8 or even 16 team playoff it would get rid of that annoying break before the bowl games where teams lose all their form and make the bowl games different to if it hadnt been played after a month off.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 AM   #33
FPower
National High School Star

A playoff would be the best system, but then the bowls lose all meaning, and schools lose all the revenue they create. I always wondered though, does going to the Alamo bowl "really" generate that much money?
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #34
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

USC probably has the best chance considering their schedule. I believe they are the only top team left with a top ten opponent on their remaining schedule (Notre Dame).
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #35
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPower
A playoff would be the best system, but then the bowls lose all meaning, and schools lose all the revenue they create. I always wondered though, does going to the Alamo bowl "really" generate that much money?
The playoffs would generate even more revenue than the bowls. Non-playoff teams could still have their bowls and the 16 (or whatever) playoff teams would stand to make a killing. When you follow your team to a bowl game you may be excited but you know you're watching a glorified exhibition unless your team is one of the lucky 2. But if 16 teams could tell their fanbase that they can win the Championship? They could name the ticket prices, the TV contract would be massive, and there would be even more games played.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #36
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
USC probably has the best chance considering their schedule. I believe they are the only top team left with a top ten opponent on their remaining schedule (Notre Dame).
USC has almost no shot barring about 4 teams losing. Nor should they to be honest. Assuming Rutgers loses, I would like to see UT go for 2 reasons, 1. Im a UT homer and 2. I think since they are defending national champs and are alot better now than when they played OSU the first time, they should get a shot all other things being close.

Now if michigan wins UT is screwed because I would rank OSU ahead of UT if both had 1 loss...
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #37
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

i think national championship game should be osu and florida if they both win out but that will be very hard for florida
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #38
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
If UF and Auburn win out then when they meet in the SEC Champ game they both have a top 10 opponent. The winner of that game probably faces the winner of OSU-Michigan.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #39
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
If UF and Auburn win out then when they meet in the SEC Champ game they both have a top 10 opponent. The winner of that game probably faces the winner of OSU-Michigan.
Ummm, hate to break this to you but auburn doesnt control its own destiny in getting to the SEC champ game.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #40
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Also Floridas offense sucks. It would be just like the UT OSU game if they played OSU. UTs offense has gotten ALOT better.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #41
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Ummm, hate to break this to you but auburn doesnt control its own destiny in getting to the SEC champ game.
True, my mistake, but I did some research and Arkansas has Tennessee and LSU coming up. If they win these games they'll probably be a top 10 team. If they lose both Auburn advances to the SEC champ game. Only in the event of a split will the SEC not have two top 10 teams in their conference champ game.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:42 AM   #42
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Also Floridas offense sucks. It would be just like the UT OSU game if they played OSU. UTs offense has gotten ALOT better.
26.3 doesn't "suck." The SEC has some tough defenses, and getting a ton of points isn't easy.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #43
Nowitzki41MFFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
if Rutgers wins out they deserve to be in the title game. period.

the only reason they arent even in the top 10 yet is b/c they didnt start out ranked and past history.

The BCS and Bowl system has always and will always be a sham.

Until college football gets a playoff there will NEVER be legit title games.

no they dont, they would get slaughtered.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #44
Wuxia
Local High School Star

Quote:
no they dont, they would get slaughtered.

Why? West Verginia and Luisville are arguebly 2 of the most talented team in the country and were ranked in the top 5 in the preseason polls. If Rutgers beat both these teams, I don't see how Rutger is undersving of playing in the title game.
Wuxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:29 PM   #45
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuxia
Why? West Verginia and Luisville are arguebly 2 of the most talented team in the country and were ranked in the top 5 in the preseason polls. If Rutgers beat both these teams, I don't see how Rutger is undersving of playing in the title game.

Big East football is weak, teams from the other conferences (Pac Ten, Big Ten, SEC) play at a higher level, they would smoke them.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: