Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 04-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
C-A-T-S
@Bobcats f o r u m PSD

C-A-T-S has an OK reputation so far
Default Bobcats offseason.... What to do?

Bobcats are coming off their most successful season in franchise history. We may be disappointed with the effort in being swept in the series, but the truth is the team made great strides this season. The question is how do we get better and improve the team for next season???

IMO this is not a team we should keep together. This team is not like how the Hawks were a few seasons ago (Young up and coming core of young talented players) or the OKC thunder this season. Those teams had a high ceiling, I believe this current team is close to their peak. Things need to change this offseason, but what?

We don't have the salary space to add top Free agents (Especially compared to others around the league). We do not have draft picks to improve during the draft.... and even in future seasons we will not be bad enough to have top picks in the draft.... therefore we will always be a step away from drafting the top prospects out of college.

If we trade, we will have to give up a lot...Teams are not going to give you big time scorers for free.

On WBTV 3 (Charlotte) Point After With D & D the other week a caller called in and asked the panel if they thought MJ would try and improve the team in the off-season and all of them said given some trades Jax, TT, etc that yes that if he tries to improve the team during the season then he def. will in the off-season we can expect that. However at what level I don't know, isn't our cap at level where we can't sign a star to any kind of satisfying deal?

One thing I'd like to see us do with this year's 2nd round pick (I think we have one still) is draft Da'Sean Butler out of West Virginia, he would have been a high pick but lots think he will go undrafted because of that freak injury in the FF, I think we should give him a chance!

Discuss
C-A-T-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Bobcats offseason.... What to do?

We need to get Spectre in here to clarify where we stand salary cap-wise. The most pressing concerns will be what to do with Felton and Thomas since they are FAs. Not having any draft picks doesn't concern me since we don't have a good track record with that.

Last edited by rufuspaul : 04-28-2010 at 07:56 PM.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Here's an idea from yesterday's NY Times:

Quote:
Want to Make an Impact? Join Jordan
By WILLIAM C. RHODEN

Published: April 27, 2010

Dear LeBron:

Nam Y. Huh/Associated Press

Would LeBron James consider playing for Michael Jordan’s Charlotte Bobcats?

On Monday many of us watched the young Charlotte Bobcats fight the good fight before falling to the Orlando Magic in a first-round sweep.
Charlotte was the young kid with a big heart fighting the playground bully and holding his own. Ultimately, the bully was too big and the Bobcats were not good enough.
Charlotte was missing one piece, LeBron: you.
For the last two years the world has been advising you about where to play next season — or where to stay.
Where can you make the greatest impact? Where can you make the most dollars? Where?
In Charlotte, N.C., where Michael Jordan, your basketball hero, is majority owner. Jordan became the second African-American owner of an N.B.A. franchise. He bought the franchise from the first, Robert L. Johnson. More significantly, in terms of power dynamics, Jordan is the first former N.B.A. player to become a majority owner in the league.
Why should this matter?
It matters because from the beginning of your career, you set your sights on being different, on being more than a basketball player.
You began your career by saying you wanted to be Warren E. Buffett and Muhammad Ali. That struck many as an odd combination. Buffett became famous for amassing wealth, while Ali, standing on courage and principle, did it without spending a dime.
You won’t achieve immortality by selling sneakers. You can achieve acclaim, however, by doing something completely counterintuitive, perhaps by joining a six-year-old franchise and a first-year majority owner and making Charlotte a championship destination.
Why Charlotte?
The answer is simple: Jordan.
Last year you said that you wanted to honor his legacy. You proposed that the N.B.A. retire his No. 23.
“He’s the best basketball player we’ve ever seen,” you told The Associated Press. “Mike does it on the court and off the court. If you see 23, you think about Michael Jordan. You see guys flying through the air, you think about Michael Jordan. You see game-winning shots, you think about Michael Jordan. You see fly kicks, you think about Michael Jordan. He did so much, it has to be recognized, and not just by putting him in the Hall of Fame.”
Forget the number, LeBron. The greatest tribute you could pay him — dollars notwithstanding — is joining forces with him next season and creating a dynasty in Charlotte. The two of you could forge a powerful alliance and achieve in an unprecedented way.
Imagine the story line: Charlotte became the 30th member of the N.B.A. on May 3, 2004. Six years later, LeBron James joins the franchise and takes it to heights previously unknown.
Not even Jordan did that. Jordan was drafted into his role. He was drafted by the Bulls in 1984 and led Chicago to its first N.B.A. championship in 1991 at age 28.
Your advisers may tell you to stay as far away from Jordan as possible. He will block your light, they say. Jordan will steal your thunder.
No. The only one who may do that is a 6-foot-9 do-everything forward named Kevin Durant. Entering Game 5 on Tuesday night in Los Angeles, Durant and the Oklahoma Thunder were two victories away from eliminating the Lakers from the N.B.A. playoffs.
That’s the thing about sports, LeBron. Fame is so fleeting. What is hot today is old news tomorrow. A good friend was recently lamenting that his teenage son couldn’t understand all the fuss over Jordan. LeBron James was the hero of his era.
Most athletes are destined to be overtaken by the next new thing — unless they become Babe Ruth, Joe Louis, Jackie Robinson or Ali.
The only way to achieve such stature is to do something bold and timeless, like taking an unpopular stand or making an unpopular move.
For you, LeBron, that would be leaving Cleveland to join forces with Jordan in Charlotte. Jordan wins his first N.B.A. championship as an owner, you win your first as a player. Then another. And another.
Where are the marketing opportunities in Charlotte? Where are they in Cleveland? The opportunities go where you go, LeBron. Marketing follows you — it has been that way since you were in high school. You go to Jupiter, you put Jupiter on the map.
Of course, you can always stay in Cleveland. (Just don’t expect Joakim Noah to come visit.)
But if a championship does not happen for you in Cleveland this year, it probably won’t in the future, either. The Cavaliers added Shaquille O’Neal and Antawn Jamison. Short of acquiring the Dream Team, how many more pieces does the franchise need to add?
New York is the world’s greatest city, but going there could be a potential pie in the face. Suddenly, Mike D’Antoni is not looking like the world’s greatest coach, but if the Knicks did not win an N.B.A. championship with you on the floor, guess whose fault that would be? Yours.
Charlotte is the Queen City. And you are the king without a crown.
There is no wrong answer — unless the question is, How do I achieve greatness? If that’s the aim, go to Charlotte, team with Jordan and win championships.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

ukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What an absolutely jizz-worthy thought!

If we don't convince LeBron, could we just cross out the LeBron parts on the letter and replace them with Dwyane? Or if not him, Amare, or if not him, Bosh, or if not him.....etc.

Lovely thoughts, but honestly that's all they are. I hope the Bobcats can become a real pull for potential FAs sometime. Don't think we are there yet though, even with MJ in hand.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

acidbasesalt has decent reputationacidbasesalt has decent reputation

Next season...hmm...

1)Trade Diaw or play him off bench. This entire season and postseason we've witnessed a badpass-first, 3-pter second, and drive last guy. I know LB sets up a lot of plays for Jak and Wallace, but so frequent those two are trapped or well defended. When that 24 second clock is down, Diaw jacks up some brick-like 3pters. Gosh those are posession killers. I ficking HATE Boris Diaw. He also doesn't rebound enough.
2)Let Felton go. I really believe Felton has reached his potential. He's never going to be a scorer, nor an outstanding passer. He might improve his midrange and 3pt but he does NOT worth $7 million a year.
3)Re-sign Tyrus. He now possess good midrange and good mobility for a power forward, plus his trademark athleticism. He is what Chandler is supposed to become, but didn't happen. Game 4 proves atheleticism an indispensable asset.
Too bad LB plays TT off bench.
4)Hire mobs to beat up Diop so we get insurance money so MJ can can appeal to NBA head office to remove Diop off luxury tax calculation to make room for additional players.
5)Whack Augustin's butt hard and feed him Jameer Nelson's tapes as a method of mentality reconstruction.
6)Install a 3-second timer in Chandler's brain that activates as soon as he steps in the paint. The timer will electrocute him at 2.9 seconds (too late?). Damn he just doesn't have a sense of time.
7)For real, play Henderson. Even bench role is fine but he really need some life lessons on court.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbasesalt
4)Hire mobs to beat up Diop so we get insurance money so MJ can can appeal to NBA head office to remove Diop off luxury tax calculation to make room for additional players.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Cap wise we're extremely tight, so I expect to go into the season "slightly" over the luxury tax and then trade Chandler or Nazr's expirings to get under (we'd be stupid not to cash out on those). Don't look for any big FA signings but maybe a veteran minimum guy or two (league pays half their salary, so that's usually only like 700k cap hit).

After Felton's disappointing performance it's hard for me to even guess what we do with him...and I also think that's directly related to whether Larry Brown comes back or not.

IF LB comes back I see us giving Felton around what we offered last season. Last season wasn't as good as this one and I doubt 4 games against the defending EC Champions changed that a whole lot. Do you sacrifice one of the guys who got you there because he didn't live up to standard once we arrived?

I dunno. Hard to say what MJ is thinking.

Tyrus I feel sure we'll give the qualifying offer...which is around 6.3 million. That's a LOT...but we knew that going in when we gave up a future 1st.

Just with TT and our current salary we'll be anywhere between 2-4 million under the tax and that's just with 12 guys. Add Felton with a couple vet min guys and that's how I arrived at "slightly over".

Sorry I haven't posted a lot. I didn't post anywhere really during the games as I wanted to give them all my focus. Afterwards was usually so disappointing that I didn't feel like posting at all. When I did it was usually to argue with the "OMG we're doomed" folks...which thankfully never seems to be the posters here on this board.

Haven't said it lately...but of all the boards I still think this one has the most class.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A revisiting of that alleged deal that was all but done until Bob Johnson vetoed it? I think it was TJ Ford + Brandon Rush for Henderson + Augustin + Mohammed, Charlotte saves around a half million, Ford's expiring.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

I'll never understand Jordan's fascination with TJ Ford. He lost his job to Caleron and then he lost his job to Earl Watson.

Thank God that Crash trade didn't go thru.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

acidbasesalt has decent reputationacidbasesalt has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
A revisiting of that alleged deal that was all but done until Bob Johnson vetoed it? I think it was TJ Ford + Brandon Rush for Henderson + Augustin + Mohammed, Charlotte saves around a half million, Ford's expiring.

Apparently Bob had had enough intelligence to realize the above a dumb prospect giveway. I know how TJ plays since his days in Toronto and I'm sure Ford does not fit in LB's harassment-clawing fierce defence.

Throw in Tyler Hansborough (spelling correctly?) to make the deal "fair".
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbasesalt
Apparently Bob had had enough intelligence to realize the above a dumb prospect giveway. I know how TJ plays since his days in Toronto and I'm sure Ford does not fit in LB's harassment-clawing fierce defence.

Throw in Tyler Hansborough (spelling correctly?) to make the deal "fair".
It's not some deal I made up, it was a done deal last deadline until Johnson said no, now he's obviously gone. Like spectre said, MJ's for some reason got some fascination with Ford.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
Brakas
I airball my layups

Brakas has an OK reputation so far

I remember seeing that deal the last day of the trade deadline. Glad it didn't go through. I would like to see Henderson get a chance to play.
Brakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

I'd rather have Hughes, Murray and Jax than Henderson. Ship him.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I'd rather have Hughes, Murray and Jax than Henderson. Ship him.

Agreed. We will never move up the ranks if we continue to saddle ourselves with players who "might" be good in two years time. We need guys who are better than "good" and we need them now because as it is we barely compete against the better teams and those teams get better while we stay stagnant. Can't happen. We've got to make major shifts upward in quality and that'll mean losing some nice guys whom we really like. It is what it is.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
BrentISballin
Local High School Star

BrentISballin has decent reputationBrentISballin has decent reputation

I was thinking, do you think we could get chris paul? NOH still has a young back up PG with a lot of potential behind paul PLUS Paul has family here in nc, played highschool and college here AND he is sponsored by Jordan. I guess it's a dream but if we could get him ... wow, mabye that will spark chandler a bit
BrentISballin is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: