Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 06-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #31
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Bobcats offseason.... What to do?

The Cats are really in a tough situation. They have too much talent to be lottery bound, but not enough talent and cap to be legit contenders. There is a lot of $$ wrapped up in average to above average players. That's not winning you any titles. Diaw, Jax, Diop do not have much trade value given their multi year contracts. And that adds up to about 24 mill. The only asset that is somewhat valuable is Chandlers expiring deal, maybe a scorer can be snagged for him at the deadline. It just sucks bc the Cats are in that in between situation. They can't rebuild bc of the contracts they have, and they can't contend bc of inability to go out and get legit FA's. You guys just need to hope that someone wants to unload a contract for Tyson.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #32
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

You know what, I don't care about titles with this team. If I this was a big market team/annual contender such as Los Angeles, Boston, Miami, Dallas or Phoenix, I could care less.

I just want this team to make the playoffs every year, then maybe we'll talk about contending for a championship.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #33
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
I think that getting rid of Diaw is very important. Just like we were regarding Mek, we're at a point with Boris that we never know who's going to show up from game-to-game. I'm also squeamish when it comes to our facing the world next season with only Felts and DJ to go up against the multitude of better PGs out there and currently on other teams. I mean--Felts ranked #21 out of 30 starting PG and we think he's going to be enough for us for next season....................... :

FWIW getting a starting PF is one of the biggest priorities this offseason. Whether we actually accomplish that...well, I guess we'll see.

I'm not worried about the PG spot if we retain Felton (if we don't then that's a totally different story). Except for the playoffs/Nelson Felton was one of the tops in defense at his position (honorable mention on Hollinger's all defense team...2nd year in a row now), and his improved shooting fits what LB usually wants out of his PG.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #34
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

FYI...a good way to follow the offseason:

http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bobcats

Today mainly on the workouts, and in particular from Mike Cranston.

A good way to follow what's happening in the gym:

http://twitter.com/mikeirr

He's the strength & conditioning coach.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #35
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
You know what, I don't care about titles with this team. If I this was a big market team/annual contender such as Los Angeles, Boston, Miami, Dallas or Phoenix, I could care less.

I just want this team to make the playoffs every year, then maybe we'll talk about contending for a championship.

Agreed it is rather silly to think about the Cats as contenders for a championship. We've only now learned what it will take to build our team into one that can make the playoffs consistently so I suspect that our FO will be focused on that goal.

As an aside, I'm losing patience with LB. Either shit or get off the pot but don't leave everyone guessing. Now we see the flip side of LB. Make a commitment or let the search for a new coach begin. Because for Brown, now, the issue of being closer to his wife and kids in Philly is a non-issue. Anywhere Brown goes he'll be away from his family. My guess is that he's waiting to see if a better offer comes his way before deciding whether or not to stay with the Cats.

Last edited by onewickedlady : 06-07-2010 at 05:09 PM.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #36
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Agreed it is rather silly to think about the Cats as contenders for a championship. We've only now learned what it will take to build our team into one that can make the playoffs consistently so I suspect that our FO will be focused on that goal.

As an aside, I'm losing patience with LB. Either shit or get off the pot but don't leave everyone guessing. Now we see the flip side of LB. Make a commitment or let the search for a new coach begin. Because for Brown, now, the issue of being closer to his wife and kids in Philly is a non-issue. Anywhere Brown goes he'll be away from his family. My guess is that he's waiting to see if a better offer comes his way before deciding whether or not to stay with the Cats.

I'm wondering if the Felton situation has something to do with this. I can't see LB coaching a team where DJ Augustin is the starting PG.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #37
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I'm wondering if the Felton situation has something to do with this. I can't see LB coaching a team where DJ Augustin is the starting PG.

Hmm.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #38
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

brown staying is the biggest concern for the cats right now.

i know felton has probably reached his peak but would you entrust the starting pg with augustine?

if felton is to be shipped out the cats has to include diaw. thats the only way the cats can get rid of diaw for me.

you guys need a guy lile or stat to play along side chandler. TT isnt a starting pf in this league he might be in the future but i dont see it coming real soon.

a guy like zach randolph is ideal too. crazy as it may sound even though zach doesnt play D . he is wat you guys need to get to the next round.

you wont advance to the 2nd round with diaw as the starting pf..
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #39
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

I kinda want to see Nate Robinson in a Cats jersey next year. A combo of him and DJ would be pretty beastly.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #40
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

So there IS work going on to improve the team for the coming season. Are we excited yet???????

Quote:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...s-to-help.html

Bobcats bring in Collins to help with PG depth
By MIKE CRANSTON
AP Sports Writer
Posted: Friday, Aug. 06, 2010

For now, the Charlotte Bobcats are trying to overcome the loss of starting point guard Raymond Felton with numbers.

The Bobcats added their third point guard to the roster on Friday by signing undrafted rookie Sherron Collins to a two-year, non-guaranteed deal. Collins, who starred at Kansas, played well for the Bobcats' summer league team last month.

"Sherron had a productive summer league and showed some of the qualities he displayed while at Kansas," general manager Rod Higgins said. "He's competitive nature as well as coming from a very successful program. He's going to have an opportunity to compete for a roster spot."

Collins joins returning backup D.J. Augustin and Shaun Livingston, who signed a free-agent deal last month. The Bobcats, whose payroll is close to the luxury tax threshold, didn't try to re-sign Felton and he went to New York.

Signing Collins, whose deal has two triggers before January that if he's still on the roster would allow him to make the full amount of his league minimum contract, has been part of a busy summer for owner Michael Jordan's Bobcats. And more moves are on the way.

Higgins will soon talk with center Erick Dampier's agent on how to proceed with his $13 million, non-guaranteed deal for next season. Charlotte acquired the contract from Dallas last month in the Tyson Chandler trade.

The Bobcats are leaning toward waiving him to clear much-needed cap space instead of trying to use his contract in a trade, which would be complicated because of the cap.

The Bobcats could then re-sign Dampier for less money. Dampier said last month he'd give Bobcats the first chance to do that.

Clearing $13 million would allow for another trade, perhaps for a big man or a starting point guard.

"We're going to continue to survey what's out there as far as improvement at all of our positions," Higgins said. "I don't think you're ever satisfied with what you have. At the same token, you've got three young point guards there with different styles of play. But we're still trying to see what's out there as far as trades."

The stocky, 5-foot-11 Collins is convinced he can become a part of the rotation. His stock dropped because of concerns about his weight and a groin injury that forced him to cancel several pre-draft workouts with teams.

Collins signed with Charlotte's summer league team and had 32 points on 7 of 11 3-point shooting in the final game against Orlando.

"I got the right call and this is a team I really want to be a part of," Collins said. "Especially with the lack of point guards that they have, I think I'll fit in well."

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#ixzz0vrUmkuqD
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #41
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This is a gamble for all 3 of our PGs.

DJ Augustin: Had a disappointing sophomore season (not unlike many players). Can he bounce back and be a starting PG?

Sean Livingston: Tremendous athlete, high draft pick. Can he stay healthy and play to his potential?

Sherron Collins: Arguably the best undrafted player out there. Has a tremendous upside, comes from a great program, hard worker. Why did no one draft him?

I have good feelings about all these guys. If the gamble pays off we could be dangerous in the back court this year.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #42
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

i'm actually kind of excited about D.J. augustin. he had a poor season last year, true, but he never really had a chance, and here is is about to be our starting point guard. i think there's potential for a breakout season, but that might just be wishful thinking.
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #43
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
i'm actually kind of excited about D.J. augustin. he had a poor season last year, true, but he never really had a chance, and here is is about to be our starting point guard. i think there's potential for a breakout season, but that might just be wishful thinking.

I hope so. He owns the season tx to the seats in front of mine and various members of his entourage (buddies he brought with him from New Orleans) sit there throughout the season. It's been interesting talking to these guys and gaining some insight about DJ. He's been through a lot but has persevered through hard work and talent. He was on LB's shit list last year but he must see something in him or he would have gotten MJ to trade him. And as Nazr showed last season, it's possible to get back on Larry's good side.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #44
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

From owl--do we want herrmann--can he fit into the current team?

http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/2...e-back-to.html
Friday, August 13, 2010
Walter Herrmann could be back to the Charlotte Bobcats

Walter Herrmann is a free agent after leaving Caja Laboral, where he played last season. Now, the target of the 31-year-old Argentinian forward is to go back to the NBA. The Charlotte Bobcats, where he played during a year and a half before being traded to the Detroit Pistons, is the most likely option to Herrmann. In case he finally doesn't get a contract in the NBA, he would consider offers from the ACB league.

SOURCE: Noticias de Álava[/quote]
Old 08-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #45
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I'd like him back, but unfortunately I don't see him getting many minutes.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: