Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #136
Kiddlovesnets
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Kiddlovesnets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kidd loves Nets, like always
Posts: 12,584
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Overrated...
Kiddlovesnets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #137
oh the horror
5-time NBA All-Star
 
oh the horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 11,754
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Overrated...


20/5/5 during a rookie season, is overrated to you?
oh the horror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #138
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 43,111
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Future Top 3 player in the NBA. The Sky is the limit for young Tyreke Evans.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #139
coin24
NBA rookie of the year
 
coin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,833
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Congrats to tyreke.. Can't argue with those numbers..

I would have liked to see Jennings get it, but he was MIA for
chunks of the season.. Good to see him playing well in the
playoffs though..
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #140
Xover
Great young streetballer
 
Xover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 580
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

yea jennings shot at 37 percent for his debut season but as far as the playoffs im pretty sure he was shooting at about the 45 percent mark although he did make a few more attempts. that being said he came up big in the playoffs as the bucks needed due to the absense of their big man and even tht still doesnt win him the ROY tho the kid deserves more than the idioitic hate based on his APG through the regular series
Xover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #141
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 21,356
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

I'm a little lost as to why team record is such an important factor in MVP but has little importance for ROY.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #142
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,379
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I'm a little lost as to why team record is such an important factor in MVP but has little importance for ROY.
It's not just team record. It's a player's impact on his team's record.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #143
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 21,356
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
It's not just team record. It's a player's impact on his team's record.

Wouldn't you say Brandon Jennings has had a significant impact on that record? I understand Bogut is the best player on that team but Jennings has been asked to run the offense while also carrying a heavy load of the scoring with Michael Redd out all year.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #144
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,379
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Wouldn't you say Brandon Jennings has had a significant impact on that record?

The argument people have used has been:

Bucks record > Kings and Warriors record.

Now, my position is that if you want to argue impact, then I have two responses:

First of which is that Evans has impacted his team. Dealing with a first year head coach, dealing with injuries, trades, and an inconsistent lineup (and one of the youngest and most inexperienced rotations in the league), he not only managed to help his team win more games than last season, but anybody paying attention saw his clutch play and how he helped his team stay competitive when they really shouldn't have been (taking LA and Cleveland down to the wire, 35 point comeback in Chicago, etc etc).

So with that being said, when looking at impact, I don't see how Evans couldn't have the same positive impact on the bucks to help them get to the playoffs.

Both players helped their team. Just because one had a better team doesn't mean said individual had more of an impact than the other.

Quote:
I understand Bogut is the best player on that team but Jennings has been asked to run the offense while also carrying a heavy load of the scoring with Michael Redd out all year.

And Evans shouldered the load when Martin went down 6 games into the season. The kings didn't have a legit option like Bogut to go to. All they had was Evans and a bunch of role players.

It's comments like these that really make me wonder how many games people actually watched Evans play this season.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #145
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 21,356
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
The argument people have used has been:

Bucks record > Kings and Warriors record.

Now, my position is that if you want to argue impact, then I have two responses:

First of which is that Evans has impacted his team. Dealing with a first year head coach, dealing with injuries, trades, and an inconsistent lineup (and one of the youngest and most inexperienced rotations in the league), he not only managed to help his team win more games than last season, but anybody paying attention saw his clutch play and how he helped his team stay competitive when they really shouldn't have been (taking LA and Cleveland down to the wire, 35 point comeback in Chicago, etc etc).

So with that being said, when looking at impact, I don't see how Evans couldn't have the same positive impact on the bucks to help them get to the playoffs.

Both players helped their team. Just because one had a better team doesn't mean said individual had more of an impact than the other.



And Evans shouldered the load when Martin went down 6 games into the season. The kings didn't have a legit option like Bogut to go to. All they had was Evans and a bunch of role players.

It's comments like these that really make me wonder how many games people actually watched Evans play this season.

I've watched probably 7-8 games of Tyreke this season. Obviously I won't have as many opportunities to watch his games as you do because you live on the west coast and I live on the east coast. I know Evans had a huge impact on his team and did perform great in the clutch. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here as to why Jennings should be voted ROY. I don't even think Jennings should have won it.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #146
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,379
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I've watched probably 7-8 games of Tyreke this season. Obviously I won't have as many opportunities to watch his games as you do because you live on the west coast and I live on the east coast. I know Evans had a huge impact on his team and did perform great in the clutch. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here as to why Jennings should be voted ROY. I don't even think Jennings should have won it.
I understand. Because of BJ's stats, the best argument that could be made is his impact on the bucks making the playoffs. But the counter to that is that other PG's, in a similar situation, could have also made a positive impact on the bucks, so there's really nothing that sets BJ head and shoulders above the rest of his rookie peers to get the award.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #147
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick
 
ChuckOakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Western Mass-hole
Posts: 5,177
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

One advantage Jennings seems to have over the others (besides team success) is defense.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2010/4/29/14...ransition-game

Hollinger's take....

Quote:
Unlike Evans or Curry, however, he doesn't have to post big offensive numbers in order to be an effective player. For starters, Jennings has run the point with savvy belying his years, committing just seven turnovers in five games in the postseason. He's still not a classic drive-and-kick guy, but in his year spent taking his lumps in Italy and his season under Skiles, he's learned how to play nearly mistake-free basketball.

And then there's the defense. Jennings is miles beyond Evans and Curry in this respect, and that explains why his on-court versus off-court defensive stats are the best of the three -- even though Jennings' faces much more difficult comparisons via this stat because his teammates actually guard people. The Kings were 21st in Defensive Efficiency and the Warriors 29th, while Jennings' Milwaukee team, by contrast, was third.

Jennings is undersized and took his lumps at times at the defensive end of the floor early in the season. But he has steadily improved by necessity, and because he's been held accountable all season, his defense this series has been consistently good and at times phenomenal. I watched Game 3 and thought it was the best I'd ever seen him defend, but he was just as good in far more trying circumstances in Game 5.

Again while Evans clearly had the best regular season and was the ROY, Jennings was probably closer than most (Evans fans and Curry fans) care to admit.

Also, I do find it preposterous when people say that Curry or Evans could have done just as good and probably better in Milwaukee considering that is clearly hypothetical. Some pieces fit well together, some do not. Jennings clearly fit in Milwaukee, we do not know hot the others would have.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #148
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,379
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

"Jennings is miles beyond Evans and Curry in this respect"

That statement is LAUGHABLE. Evans often took on the best perimeter player on the opposing team. Arenas, Kobe, Joe Johnson, Westbrook, Wade, etc etc. He was often used to guard either guard position depending on matchups, and he had to face much more difficult players to handle. Again, hollinger shows how much he doesn't know about the game.

Last edited by Showtime : 04-30-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #149
alwaysunny
in Brooklyn
 
alwaysunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,858
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

for those that believe Evans doesn't deserve ROY, let me ask you this: did Lebron deserve it over Carmelo?

nonetheless, Evans was ROY because he was the best player. it's that simple.
alwaysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #150
alwaysunny
in Brooklyn
 
alwaysunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,858
Default Re: Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I'm a little lost as to why team record is such an important factor in MVP but has little importance for ROY.

a rookie being the best player on a team is very rare, which means they usually aren't the main contributor to the team record. plus it's fundamentally flawed to award the rookie that has better teammate than others, therefore it's reasonable to award the player simply based on stats. MVP on the other hand, holds more responsibility for the team, which relates to the team success.

but then again, it would've been interesting if Jennings shot 45% from the field.
alwaysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy