Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > San Antonio Spurs Forum

San Antonio Spurs Forum San Antonio Spurs message board - San Antonio Spurs forum

Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #16
CrazyLond
I hit open layups

CrazyLond has not been impressing people
Default Re: 2010 2nd round preview: Suns vs Spurs series

It is going to be hard to come up with an unbiased opinion because I am a Suns' fan but here are my initial thoughts. The Suns played as well as anybody in the league the last couple months of the season. The Blazers are a team, however, who gave them some problems this year, winning 2 games out of 3 (once without Roy). It is weird how in the NBA a matchup is more determined by an individual matchup than which team is better overall. I mean that year Dallas lost to GS 1v8, the Warriors had had their number all year. I think the primary reason the Suns struggle with the Blazers is Marcus Camby. I honestly believe that even in this stage of his career, he is probably the second best defensive big man in the league (after Dwight of course). He is one of the only guys who can reasonably guard Amare one on one which messed up the Suns whole system of offense. In addition to this, I thought Nate Mcmillan did a good job coaching in the series. In game 1 they exploited the weak defense of Jason Richardson by repeatedly attacking with Andre Miller and wearing him out so he could not be effectual offensively. The other great adjustment they made was starting Bayless in game 4 to exploit Nash's defense. Despite this, I think the Suns still could have won this series more handedly if they had come out with the proper mindset in game 1. I do give the Blazers a lot of credit, I think they played with a heck of a lot of heart despite missing their best player.

The thing is, despite the matchup difficulties, when the Suns brought their A-game they still crushed them. All of the wins except game 6 were pretty much blowouts. The Spurs don't create the same matchup problems as the Blazers. The main problem is they won't be able to contain Amare. Historically, he has just gone off against this team. You can't double team him if the Suns play him with 4 three-point shooters. He is liable to get the Spurs bigs in foul trouble if they go that route. If they don't, he scores. Defensively, you put Hill on Ginoboli. Ginoboli will still hustle his ass off and score a certain amount but I am confident in that 1v1 defensive matchup. I don't know what the status of Robin Lopez is but it will make a huge difference if he can play because Amare isn't much of a defender and we need bigs to defend Duncan. Ultimately, we can double team him, keep Hill glued to Ginoboli and force someone else to beat us. You can't do that with Amare, the Suns shooters are just too deadly. Also, the Suns have home court. I'm going to game 1 and will be loud enough to ensure the Suns win that one.

I'll be bold and say Suns in 5.
CrazyLond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #17
Wonder Bread Kid
My Pimp Hand Is Lethal

Wonder Bread Kid has an OK reputation so far

The Suns fans putting all their faith in Robin Lopez is very

I'm not trying to hate on Lopez, but Tim took on Haywood and Damp with no real problem. I doubt Lopez does much.

Also, unlike previous playoffs the Suns have had trouble stopping Parker, now just imagine them having to deal with Parker and Hill.

Also, I see Blair having a very good series.
Wonder Bread Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #18
Wonder Bread Kid
My Pimp Hand Is Lethal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLond
It is going to be hard to come up with an unbiased opinion because I am a Suns' fan but here are my initial thoughts. The Suns played as well as anybody in the league the last couple months of the season. The Blazers are a team, however, who gave them some problems this year, winning 2 games out of 3 (once without Roy). It is weird how in the NBA a matchup is more determined by an individual matchup than which team is better overall. I mean that year Dallas lost to GS 1v8, the Warriors had had their number all year. I think the primary reason the Suns struggle with the Blazers is Marcus Camby. I honestly believe that even in this stage of his career, he is probably the second best defensive big man in the league (after Dwight of course). He is one of the only guys who can reasonably guard Amare one on one which messed up the Suns whole system of offense. In addition to this, I thought Nate Mcmillan did a good job coaching in the series. In game 1 they exploited the weak defense of Jason Richardson by repeatedly attacking with Andre Miller and wearing him out so he could not be effectual offensively. The other great adjustment they made was starting Bayless in game 4 to exploit Nash's defense. Despite this, I think the Suns still could have won this series more handedly if they had come out with the proper mindset in game 1. I do give the Blazers a lot of credit, I think they played with a heck of a lot of heart despite missing their best player.

The thing is, despite the matchup difficulties, when the Suns brought their A-game they still crushed them. All of the wins except game 6 were pretty much blowouts. The Spurs don't create the same matchup problems as the Blazers. The main problem is they won't be able to contain Amare. Historically, he has just gone off against this team. You can't double team him if the Suns play him with 4 three-point shooters. He is liable to get the Spurs bigs in foul trouble if they go that route. If they don't, he scores. Defensively, you put Hill on Ginoboli. Ginoboli will still hustle his ass off and score a certain amount but I am confident in that 1v1 defensive matchup. I don't know what the status of Robin Lopez is but it will make a huge difference if he can play because Amare isn't much of a defender and we need bigs to defend Duncan. Ultimately, we can double team him, keep Hill glued to Ginoboli and force someone else to beat us. You can't do that with Amare, the Suns shooters are just too deadly. Also, the Suns have home court. I'm going to game 1 and will be loud enough to ensure the Suns win that one.

I'll be bold and say Suns in 5.

First off, you beat up an injury depleted team, well, struggled to beat an injury depleted team who aren't a very good defensive team.

Second, the Spurs have always operated with the mindset of letting Amare get his and shutting down the rest of the team, which is why he always has been games.

Just like the Mavs fans thought Marion was going to stop Ginobili and I laughed, I'm laughing even more at you thinking Hill will do anything. Sorry.

Now answer me this, how do the Suns stop the back court of Hill and Parker?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 AM   #19
blackification
National High School Star

blackification has decent reputationblackification has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Bread Kid
First off, you beat up an injury depleted team, well, struggled to beat an injury depleted team who aren't a very good defensive team.

Second, the Spurs have always operated with the mindset of letting Amare get his and shutting down the rest of the team, which is why he always has been games.

Just like the Mavs fans thought Marion was going to stop Ginobili and I laughed, I'm laughing even more at you thinking Hill will do anything. Sorry.

The blazers are not a very good defensive team? Is that a joke?
blackification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #20
Wonder Bread Kid
My Pimp Hand Is Lethal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackification
The blazers are not a very good defensive team? Is that a joke?

Compared to the Spurs, no, not a joke.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #21
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

HorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputation

How can the Spurs "exploit" Nash this year? They don't have one decent perimeter defender outside of George Hill. Tony Parker is more of a liability on defense then Nash is. Suns in 6.
HorryIsMyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 AM   #22
Wonder Bread Kid
My Pimp Hand Is Lethal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
How can the Spurs "exploit" Nash this year? They don't have one decent perimeter defender outside of George Hill. Tony Parker is more of a liability on defense then Nash is. Suns in 6.

Pop will probably put Hill and Bogans on Nash.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:50 AM   #23
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

The deeper the Spurs get in the Playoffs, the better they get. In my opinion, Dallas is a better team than Phoenix. I think we can beat them. Just like the Mavs in Round 1, I don't think Homecourt Advantage is really going to help the Suns.

Spurs in 6. Wow, it would be great if we knock out Dallas and Phoenix in the same Playoffs. Two rivals who hate our guts.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:57 AM   #24
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

HorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputation

Quote:
Pop will probably put Hill and Bogans on Nash.
So Tony Parker can't be on the court while Nash is? LOL. I've never seen the Spurs think like that in the past. If that happens then Suns in 5.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #25
CrazyLond
I hit open layups

CrazyLond has not been impressing people

Quote:

The Blazers had injuries all year and still won 50 games, they are tough as nails. Also, we lost 2 close games, won 1 close game and won 3 in a run-away, that is not that close. Also, they matched up well against us. Also, what do you mean Portland isn't a good defensive team? They allowed the 3rd fewest ppg in the NBA.

What kind of great defense is designed around allowing a player to score every time he touches it?

Marion is well-known as a choker every year in the playoffs...as a Suns fan, I know this.

I haven't figure out the parker/hill thing yet.
CrazyLond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:59 AM   #26
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Quote:
So Tony Parker can't be on the court while Nash is? LOL. I've never seen the Spurs think like that in the past. If that happens then Suns in 5.
Nah man, Hill and Parker play together on the court all the time.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:59 AM   #27
Wonder Bread Kid
My Pimp Hand Is Lethal

Quote:

Huh?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 AM   #28
Wonder Bread Kid
My Pimp Hand Is Lethal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLond
The Blazers had injuries all year and still won 50 games, they are tough as nails. Also, we lost 2 close games, won 1 close game and won 3 in a run-away, that is not that close. Also, they matched up well against us. Also, what do you mean Portland isn't a good defensive team? They allowed the 3rd fewest ppg in the NBA.

The Spurs team defense >>> Portland.

The Spurs three point defense >>> Portland.

Not that hard to understand.

Quote:
What kind of great defense is designed around allowing a player to score every time he touches it?

Because that's what I said.

Quote:
Marion is well-known as a choker every year in the playoffs...as a Suns fan, I know this.

But Grant Hill is going to stop Manu. Srly?

Quote:
I haven't figure out the parker/hill thing yet.

Huh?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 AM   #29
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

Quote:
Huh?
Yo, retard. If Tony Parker is on the court with George Hill he either has to guard Nash or J-Rich.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:07 AM   #30
Wonder Bread Kid
My Pimp Hand Is Lethal

Quote:
Yo, retard. If Tony Parker is on the court with George Hill he either has to guard Nash or J-Rich.

To start off, Pop will have Manu guarding Richardson.

When Tony and Hill are both on the court and Nash and Richardson are both on the court, Hill will probably guard Richardson and Tony on Nash.

Although last time I checked, I'm not Pop so I don't know what he'll do.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: