Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How much does your shooting percentage drop?

Not much, I shoot game shots in practice anyways.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #17
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSephiroth
When wide open and just shooting around, I shoot roughly 75-80% from behind the arc. In games, I shoot around 55-60% from behind the arc. So it drops around 20%.
My FT% in game is around 90%, and it's around 95-97% when just practicing. So that drops around 5-7%
I'm not really sure about the midrange, I've never really been able to keep count on 2-pointers because so much of my 2-point baskets are layups, floaters, runners, and the like. When shooting around, I almost never miss mid-range jumpers but I've never really kept count.

I see i few people have doubted this. I wouldn't be so quick to, I know a guy in the gym i go to that seriously shoots 75-80% on 3s about 21 ft out when he takes his time and just shoots around. That's not an exaggeration this guy easily has one of the best strokes i have seen. I remember Steph Curry said in his junior year at davidson in an interview, he can confidently say he shoots 75-80% on 3s when just shooting around.

Are we talking league play or pickup play on this thread.

When i used to played aau/school back in the day my FT% was higher in game than just practice i would say. I had the shaq make them when the matter attitude, just concentrated more. My FG% was always around low 40% maybe even high 30% since i was really small. in pick up back then FG% in pick up little better than that i was an ineffcient chucker, but was a good passer at the same time.

Nowadays, I can confidentally shot 80% FT line when practicing. I really don't know my percentage on mid/3 pt when practicing. In pickup play my FG% sky rockets though to about i say 70% seriously. It would probably be at the mid-high 40% if i played with better players, but there really nobody at my gym that can guard me in the halfcourt or say front of me, and i am simply faster than everybody when i am in my run and gun mode on the fastbreak and i have a good shot seletion.

Last edited by lilojmayo : 05-04-2010 at 03:37 PM.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSephiroth
You quoted him talking about when he is shooting around. 60+% when shooting around is normal for a high level basketball player with a good stroke. On most of my high level teams, there are at least 3-5 guys that are able to do that. I think the average drop is about 20% from Shooting around to in-game looks from my 19 years of basketball experience... but it depends on the type of shooter you are, and the volume of shots you take.

Shooting 55-60% in League play is great, but I'm really a Natural Point Guard and most of my game centers around penetration. I will pull up and take 3's in transition, on the run, or if someone creates one for me. I'm not elevating over people and shooting tough contested 3-pointers. I shot 50% from behind the Arc in High School, right down the street from Jordan Farmar, same year. I led the conference in both 3pt% and 3 pointers made.... and my stroke is more consistent now than it was before.

Dont talk me down like I dont know what im talking about either, I was captain on an undefeated state championship team my senior year of highschool and am currently playing college basketball for one of the top contenders in my conference... my credentials are solid. Im calling BS because you can do that for maybe 4 of 7 practices a week but you are bound to have 2 or 3 bad shooting days regardless that bring that average down the a mortal 50-60 percent at the most from behind the arc.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

DarkSephiroth has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy20
Dont talk me down like I dont know what im talking about either, I was captain on an undefeated state championship team my senior year of highschool and am currently playing college basketball for one of the top contenders in my conference... my credentials are solid. Im calling BS because you can do that for maybe 4 of 7 practices a week but you are bound to have 2 or 3 bad shooting days regardless that bring that average down the a mortal 50-60 percent at the most from behind the arc.

I'm not doubting your ability. If you play college ball, you should know that shooting 70-80% when shooting around is something a lot of people can do. I shoot the percent you just stated (50-60%) in game. I shot 50% from behind the arc in high school. There's no way I shoot the same % in game as I do shooting around. The average day I feel like going to shoot around at the gym, I usually hit 8/10 from behind the arc. That's what I'm saying. On a good day, I'll hit 9-10. On a bad day, maybe 6. I rarely have off days. I don't see why you think it's so unbelievable.

You would probably be amazed if you saw NBA level guys shooting around. Just watch any team pre-game and you'll notice EVERYONE hits all their shots, even the biggest NBA scrubs. I guarantee the median NBA player will hit at least 75% from behind a college 3 (Taking out some awful centers). The best players probably can hit 90+% from out there.

A guy on my team played in the League back in '83. If I go shoot around with him, I literally will just stand under the rim and spit balls back at him. He'll easily make 10-15 3's in a row before finally missing one. Needless to say, shooting is the main thing he does, but regardless, his % is ridiculous.
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #20
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

DarkSephiroth, show them what's up dude and post up a vid of you shooting around. take say... 20 shots and then they'll recognize. i'd a better look at ur form too, that might help me improve my shot.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #21
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
DarkSephiroth, show them what's up dude and post up a vid of you shooting around. take say... 20 shots and then they'll recognize. i'd a better look at ur form too, that might help me improve my shot.

he posted a video before
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

DarkSephiroth has an OK reputation so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa24e9EgDos&fmt=22
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #23
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
You would probably be amazed if you saw NBA level guys shooting around. Just watch any team pre-game and you'll notice EVERYONE hits all their shots, even the biggest NBA scrubs. I guarantee the median NBA player will hit at least 75% from behind a college 3 (Taking out some awful centers). The best players probably can hit 90+% from out there

Yep... take a look at Mike Miller. Obviously he is one of the best shooters in the NBA, but there are plenty of guys who can shoot like that but are only 5'8-6'1 (or so) and don't really have much else going for them so to speak... so they don't get to a high level of play but they can shoot lights out.

Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #24
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Fallguy20, what's your college?
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #25
Birmingham1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Fallguy20, what's your college?

he won't say the exact school. he did say it wasn't a big school i believe.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #26
Maga_1

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
he won't say the exact school. he did say it wasn't a big school i believe.

He said that his college was a contender in there conference.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #27
Birmingham1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yep... take a look at Mike Miller. Obviously he is one of the best shooters in the NBA, but there are plenty of guys who can shoot like that but are only 5'8-6'1 (or so) and don't really have much else going for them so to speak... so they don't get to a high level of play but they can shoot lights out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShnGF3rNvYU

look at allen iverson and andre iguodala taking mid range j's. obviously these guys aren't the best shooters in the league, but you see misses these guys are mortals, not machines. I have seen nba players shootaround they miss all the time. To say you shoot 85% on jumpers every time you step into the gym is pretty hard to imagine. Especially since they are so many ways you can miss even if your on line. Also 97% practicing fts . your being delusional now, that is like basically saying anyday of the week you can wake up take 100 fts and only miss 3. 7 days a week and put your life on it. Even great free throw shooters like Ray Allen/Steve Nash have missed both fts they attempted heck Ray Allen just did in last week in game 4 against the Heat.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #28
Birmingham1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
He said that his college was a contender in there conference.

yeah, but he said it wasn't a divison 1 school.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #29
Maga_1

Quote:
yeah, but he said it wasn't a divison 1 school.

Ohh, i didn't saw that.
You're rught sir.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #30
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
he posted a video before
No not highlights we can all edit highlights. I'm talking ant taking a cam no editing and take 20 shots. We can all do it and show each other no more doubters. I'm not a good practice shooter but I'll give it a try
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: