Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #31
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: How much does your shooting percentage drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShnGF3rNvYU

look at allen iverson and andre iguodala taking mid range j's. obviously these guys aren't the best shooters in the league, but you see misses these guys are mortals, not machines. I have seen nba players shootaround they miss all the time. To say you shoot 85% on jumpers every time you step into the gym is pretty hard to imagine. Especially since they are so many ways you can miss even if your on line. Also 97% practicing fts . your being delusional now, that is like basically saying anyday of the week you can wake up take 100 fts and only miss 3. 7 days a week and put your life on it. Even great free throw shooters like Ray Allen/Steve Nash have missed both fts they attempted heck Ray Allen just did in last week in game 4 against the Heat.

Well yea but why are you using AI and AI as your examples? Neither can shoot that well especially Andre(Allen has a nice midrange tho). They aren't in the league because they can shoot. Look, he is probably over inflating his shooting stats a little bit, but I bet if you watched him shoot he would make most of them. Look... maybe I believe him because like I said, I myself am a very good practice shooter. Today, I went around the perimeter (shooting 3's) to each corner, wing, and then to the top (I go around and then back) so I had to make 10 shots. the first go around I went 10/17 (59%), the second time around I went 10/14 (71%). I said I was around 60-70% from behind the arc when practicing... so it turns out I wasn't inflating my own... so maybe he isn't inflating his. We just don't know... but I will agree that 80% is very high... but I believe it doable for myself so I believe someone else can do it.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #32
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
No not highlights we can all edit highlights. I'm talking ant taking a cam no editing and take 20 shots. We can all do it and show each other no more doubters. I'm not a good practice shooter but I'll give it a try

Yea man I'll do it... I have been meaning to film our practice sessions anyway.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #33
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

cool swag. i'll try to get a vid done too. when u get it just start a new thread and we all can post vids of our shots. darkS can silence the doubters.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #34
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Sticks has an OK reputation so far

I'll join in then with the video, always good to film yourself anyways.

Here's me shooting a few jumpers when I was recovering from my knee injury: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmC-BdNPwQ

Will get a new one as soon as I can.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #35
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks

Here's me shooting a few jumpers when I was recovering from my knee injury: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmC-BdNPwQ

you decent set shot, a little slow though. your ball handling looked questionable, so i would work on that if i was you and finishing when close to rim.

you looked like you had nice size how tall are you?
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #36
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks

how tall are you? you have a big man's shot. looks like it can be consistent in the midrange.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #37
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
how tall are you? you have a big man's shot. looks like it can be consistent in the midrange.

Yea that's what I was going to say. You Look like a solid pick and pop guy cus you can hit that midrange... I think he is 6'5 though (from what I remember him saying) so he is not really big enough to play a big position at a higher level. Yea ball handling didn't look too good... looks like you have a week left hand too. I like those little running hooks tho

I'll get my vid up sometime today... I'm definitely going to remember to bring my laptop to film this time.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #38
Sticks

6'3" I basically play Small Forward. My shot is a little slow yes, didn't help that I couldn't get much lift due to the knee. Pick and pop is my favourite game though. Shot release has also gotten quite a bit faster but still isn't where I'd want it to be.

Handles were at that time questionable at best yes, they have been worked on quite a bit since then but I really have to work on it more, haven't been challenged by good defenders much this season but it's beginning to show since I've started working out with 1st team. My big benefit is though that I know how to play angles pretty well, so I can get away with being a little slow and I've got a good high off-the glass bank lay-up which is nice.

And those hooks are probably my favourite shot in basketball, in training I can pretty consistently hit them from about the foul line.

Last edited by Sticks : 05-05-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #39
devin112
Local High School Star

i wonder if there's such a thing as a euro jumpshot? is it me or do Europeans shot the ball from on top of their heads more often then americans?
Old 05-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #40
Sticks

It might have to do that at a young age we play on a lower basket. Which allows for teaching a jump-shot with a high-release point rather than having to shoot from your hip to hit a 10 foot rim.

Other than that my shot is pretty much "normal" as far as I know. Never had a coach complain about my mechanics.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #41
devin112
Local High School Star

nothing wrong w/ ur shot, it's all specific to our style of play really. if you play the post or mid post, it's advantages to put the ball up high or over ur head to protect it. it's harder for people to steal and block it.

michael redd and rashard lewis have shots like that.

ur shot looks like it can be consistent, i'd love to have a consistent mid range shooter on my team.

thanks for the vid.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #42
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Posted this before and this was 8 months ago. Shot like 60%, but my shot has become more consistent. Going to put up a new vid soon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmQ4WtJsQEE

Last edited by shlver : 05-05-2010 at 08:24 PM.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #43
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
Posted this before and this was 8 months ago. Shot like 60%, but my shot has become more consistent. Going to put up a new vid soon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmQ4WtJsQEE

I like your jumper. You get good lift and it goes in clean almost every time. Seems like you probably play similar to Derrick Rose/Russell Westbrook... if not then you should you think about it

Start posting vids in the "Post your vids here" tho guys... (at least as long as we are on this subject) so we can keep it all in one place.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 05-05-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #44
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I like your jumper. You get good lift and it goes in clean almost every time. Seems like you probably play similar to Derrick Rose/Russell Westbrook... if not then you should you think about it
I wish. I'm 5' 2"-3" so if I'm playing against tall competition I settle for open jumpers or penetration if I see an open lane. If I play with most of my Asian friends, I turn into Russel Westbrook/Derrick Rose.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #45
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Well yea but why are you using AI and AI as your examples? Neither can shoot that well especially Andre(Allen has a nice midrange tho). They aren't in the league because they can shoot. Look, he is probably over inflating his shooting stats a little bit, but I bet if you watched him shoot he would make most of them. Look... maybe I believe him because like I said, I myself am a very good practice shooter. Today, I went around the perimeter (shooting 3's) to each corner, wing, and then to the top (I go around and then back) so I had to make 10 shots. the first go around I went 10/17 (59%), the second time around I went 10/14 (71%). I said I was around 60-70% from behind the arc when practicing... so it turns out I wasn't inflating my own... so maybe he isn't inflating his. We just don't know... but I will agree that 80% is very high... but I believe it doable for myself so I believe someone else can do it.

To be honest i didn't realize how easy midrange shots 16-18 ft were, with no defense and someone passing to you, so you really get a rhythm, i am a pretty going streak shooter just shooting around. Just like you said AI isn't in the league or known for his shooting. Just like i am how i am not known with the people i play with for being a pure shooter, although i am a great ft shooter, but more so because of my passing and being able to be a game breaker and make plays for my team.

I wouldn't say i can average 70% from the midrange range, because i know myself to go on bad missing streaks, but those missing streaks, off days will bring my average down statstical even though i can do it many many times without defense. However, when i then shoot around with a defender in face that's my height with his hands up contesting percentages go way down, but it does your shot and concentrating more.

Now 3 ball is even harder even though it is only 2-3 ft behind. Way easier to go on missing streaks. I can shoot 19/20 on 3s just as easily i can go 5/20 on 3s shooting around. Again i am not a pure shooter, so ppl who can shoot can probably can better. The cold streaks though and bad days will bring your average down, does it to everybody. Even if you think you can shoot 75-80% on 3s, which is very elite, the few bad days are going to bring your average down even if you can do many many times. I think that is the misconception in this thread.

I haven't even mentioned the warm up and start you have to do to even get accustom to a rim and backboard that brings down averages a lot also.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: