Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Venom
Serious playground baller

Default Working Out For Basketball

What body type is best for a forward? I've been lifting for a while now, hoping to get bigger to muscle into the paint, but a friend of mine advised me against it. He said it's better to be ripped and athletic, rather than be big. I was shooting for a Dwight Howard body type: big, yet athletic. I'm currently 15, 5'11.5" (and growing), and 150 lbs.

Thoughts or advice?

Edit: This is for a high school basketball team. I didn't make the final cut this year and I was devastated. I'm dominating the next tryouts.

Edit 2x: Thanks to Swaggin, I've been getting up to the rim very consistently with one hand. When I go up with 2 hands, I can only tap the rim. Hopefully I'll be able to tip in put-backs by next October.

Last edited by Venom : 06-21-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Working Out For Basketball

I don't think there's a best body type for any position, it really depends on what you like to do/what your playing style is. If you're more of a post player who bangs down low then I'd try to get bigger, if you're more mobile and have more range I'd aim for quickness.

The prototypical power forward is probably pretty big, second just to a center but more mobile. Maybe something between Amare Stoudemire and Chris Bosh.

Athleticism is always good, try to get heavier so you don't get pushed around alot, but aim to maintain mobility.

That's just my opinion, it's up to you to decide how you want to be.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

don't see a problem with keeping your weight down if the muscles you are using are twice as strong. If I take two items that weight different, and apply the same force to them, which will go further? The lightest, work on getting strong more than anything, the muscles will grow naturally.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPrints
don't see a problem with keeping your weight down if the muscles you are using are twice as strong. If I take two items that weight different, and apply the same force to them, which will go further? The lightest, work on getting strong more than anything, the muscles will grow naturally.

However if you are banging in the post... who ever has the most weight to throw around will usually get where they want to go unless you are just a tree stump down there (which some people are for whatever reason). As long as you can hold your own down there, then yea what AB Prints said is right on the money... keep the weight down but the power high. At about 6', you probably will want to be right around 185 (for a fully grown male) or so with low body fat but legs and core as strong as a bull (add about 5-8 pounds per inch of height). This will allow you to be nimble, yet very powerful in short spaces. Basketball is about short bursts so you need to be as equipped as you can to operate well in them. What you need to be doing is getting in the gym this summer and getting your lifts and plyos in. This is the time to get your explosive athleticism up, and then when the season comes around you can work on your conditioning. You will probably gain about 15 pounds this summer if you get a good lifting program going.

A body type like Howard is good goal... but remember, he is huge, but he is only about 260 pounds. He is a physical freak, but he is not like Shaq (once in a lifetime freak) and can jump 36" with over 300 pounds on his frame... he is lean weight, and that's how you want to be.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 06-22-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

I'm an inch shorter than you but I'm 10 lbs heavier. It's not that big of a problem though. It really depends on whether you want the ball or not. I was usually the smallest big on the floor when I played, but I made sure that if I couldn't get the ball, I'd make my opponent work hard to grab the rebound. Nothing wrong with getting a bit bigger and gaining muscle though. It'll actually help get through to the psyche of your opponent. If they see that they're at a disadvantage physically, the pressure they created for themselves will kind of break them down a li'l bit. You shouldn't just train for mass though, as I think someone earlier said. You should try to find a balance between training for mass and training for strength. I've found resistance bands really helpful. I mean, I've gained 10 lbs since using them (most of it muscle) and I do feel stronger and more durable (? - can't think of another word as of the moment ). Well, the real test of that would definitely be when I start lifting (which I'm also trying to start. Looking around for a walk-in gym), but then the resistance bands have helped me a great deal. I'm not the biggest person of authority on this type of thing, but I hope this helps in some way!
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: