Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Leg strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I must be one of those people because dear God did those hurt my knees by the end (I was already having problems though... but the lunging hurt more than anything else). Again tho, pushing up through your heels really makes a difference. I was not doing that at the time... I wasn't focusing on it and I was probably using a lot of my knees and toes.

My body is not built to carry a lot of weight though I don't think... I am down from 195 to about 184 now and I honestly think I need to be at about 175. My body is built to retain heat and pick potatoes... not jump and cut all over the place Maybe at 175 I could do lunges without much of a problem.

It's tough though to lose some of the muscle that I have worked so hard to gain... but I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need as much as I have and honestly I could gain it all back in 6 months to a year if I wanted... so cheers to looking more average lol.

AS I continue to train myself and in my experience with older clients, I see more and more that controlled light weight training through an entire range of motion is more effective than trying to get them strong asap. The latter works well with competitive athletes though.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

went to the gym today. Did some standing leg curls, leg presses, weighted calf raises and squats.

The standing leg curls were fine, I felt uncomfortable while doing the leg press with my left leg (one legged), the weighted calf raises were okay. So I did some squats without weights, felt okay but my left knee was uncomfortable (did the leg press before the squats).

I will do some squats and only 2-legged presses sunday to see how it feels. I did not have a good warmup btw.

How should I warm up before doing squats? This is really important for me.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
ABPrints

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
went to the gym today. Did some standing leg curls, leg presses, weighted calf raises and squats.

The standing leg curls were fine, I felt uncomfortable while doing the leg press with my left leg (one legged), the weighted calf raises were okay. So I did some squats without weights, felt okay but my left knee was uncomfortable (did the leg press before the squats).

I will do some squats and only 2-legged presses sunday to see how it feels. I did not have a good warmup btw.

How should I warm up before doing squats? This is really important for me.

I usually warm up my clietns for squats with, well, squat variations, but it seems too much may bother you. You are probably developing hip issues along with the left knee issue. Are you sure you should not have this checked professionally? It sounds like it. Could be a meniscus or ligamentous issue. If soomeone was to do the leg press I would much rather see single leg than 2 legs to unlock the hips.

If you continue this without seeing someone, I would look into warming up with compound core movements that include the legs, such as cable woodchoppers, medicine ball throws off the wall and full contact twists, things of that nature.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

yeah I don't know about seeing someone. I might just train my legs naturally so I have to decide what to do. Of course sprinting, medicine ball jumps, some sorts of stretching etc. increase my acceleration speed and vertical jump as well. If I would choose to do so could I still keep doing the weighted calf raises or would that create some imbalance.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #20
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

How about riding the bike for 5-10 minutes and then dynamic stretching? It's low impact on the legs and it will totally get your legs warm and properly stretched out before you work out legs.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #21
ABPrints

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
yeah I don't know about seeing someone. I might just train my legs naturally so I have to decide what to do. Of course sprinting, medicine ball jumps, some sorts of stretching etc. increase my acceleration speed and vertical jump as well. If I would choose to do so could I still keep doing the weighted calf raises or would that create some imbalance.

I think weighted calves should be part of one of your supersets in the main training section, not the warm up. Do you have pain when you sprint? Play basketball?

I agree with Swag that the bike is a good option, in fact in the offseason, if your knee hurts you may want to consider using the bike or (maybe) eilliptical for all conditioning purposes. I also agree with dynamic stretches to compliment the warm up, but anything can be a dynamic stretch. Also consider the movements I posted above. Youtube them if needed.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #22
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPrints
I think weighted calves should be part of one of your supersets in the main training section, not the warm up. Do you have pain when you sprint? Play basketball?

I agree with Swag that the bike is a good option, in fact in the offseason, if your knee hurts you may want to consider using the bike or (maybe) eilliptical for all conditioning purposes. I also agree with dynamic stretches to compliment the warm up, but anything can be a dynamic stretch. Also consider the movements I posted above. Youtube them if needed.

When I sprint I feel just fine and when I play basketball I almost always feel great. Yeah, I meant the weighted calf raises as a regular exercise.

I will do some dynamic stretching and bike riding before the squats then tomorrow morning, will see how that helps.

But I am also going to do some weightlifting. But I have read that I should also have a proper cool down after doing the squats. Should I do the weight lifting immediatly after the squats or should i stretch a bit after the squats as well?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: