Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #16
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

DarkSephiroth has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Post your video's here

I agree that the midrange game is not dead. For people who have elevation on their jumpers, they can elevate over people in the midrange and shoot over them. I utilize the midrange mainly off the dribble (I don't elevate when I shoot... or ever anymore with the ankle problems I've been having), especially against zone defenses. Sometimes I attack the zone, maybe double back a bit and shoot a fading back shot around the high post area. You see players like Steve Nash do this a lot. But I do agree, a three-point threat is far more useful in today's game than a midrange shot. If you shoot 40% from three, you're as efficient as someone who shoots 60% from 2, since the points are worth more.

I'll get some kind of video up in the next couple weeks. The problem is, the place I shoot around is a gym that's open till only 12 at night, and you need membership to get in. So none of my friends can get in with me or anything like that. I guess I would just have to find the perfect place to plant the camera and make sure I was alone that night.

It's interesting how you guys shoot around, it's a little different from what I do. I usually shoot around and go hard for about 10 minutes if I can. I'll create a variety of random shots to take, mostly off the dribble in some way, or off some kind of triple threat move. Maybe explode to the basket a couple times for a layup mixed in as well. Then I'll need a break so I'll sit down for a couple minutes, get some fluids in me, and do it again. I'll do it maybe 3 times and then just get about 100 free-throws in and some lazy shots in after, right before I leave.

Last edited by DarkSephiroth : 05-07-2010 at 06:56 AM.
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #17
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfcChsml6Dk

I have a red shirt under the blue jersey

I just dropped a 24 pt 4 ast game in intramurals today hopefully I can get the video by tommorow

That one guy totally blew that assist for you on that nice dime

Look pretty good man... good shooter. Number 35 looks like a baller too.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
That one guy totally blew that assist for you on that nice dime

Look pretty good man... good shooter. Number 35 looks like a baller too.
35 is a spin master.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLtBarGG6Cg

Another vid for you guys... i was able to jump a little more today (mostly off my left foot though) so I could take partial jumpers. I really want to start practicing that last move tho... I don't know why I did that it was completely out of the blue instinctive lol. I have done it before, but it's not like a go-to move or anything like that so it's kind of weird that I did it.

Pardon the text... I'm trying to help out Justchill by giving him some drills he can do so it's kind of an instruction video too.

Oh boy, where shall I start. First; you got a good jumper, nice.
Your pull-up jumper? ehh, not so much. Maybe it is the injuries and stuff but when you get the triple threat position and make that 1 dribble it is weak and you definitely overexpose it. Furthermore you are out of balance when you shoot the pull up. You lean to the right side. But of course you can't explode up right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1Kb8Hz620

only got to see the first couple of pull ups since I got to go so I might be wrong though. Make some when you are 100%, pullups are hard to check when not fully exploding. It's my fav shot.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #20
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea all of these are just pretty much messing around (but messing around with a purpose ) because I can't do anything full speed. I figure I can still get the movements down though. We are working on not overexposing the ball though... On the 2 dribble pullups he put his hand down by my waist so I couldn't expose the ball when going up for the shot. On the 1 dribble pullups he didn't even put his hand up at all so it was kind of like a useless drill I am really working on keeping the ball protected though... I did a good job of swinging the ball over the top on the 2 dribble, but on the 1 dribble I totally exposed it out in front of my body... That's not something I want to get used to... overall that was just bad drill lol... at least I made my shots tho ha.

I am actually very comfortable fading away on my jumpers though... I know it's not typically what you want, and I don't always do it... but I can make them. I am so used to fade aways out of the post and step back jumpers that fade aways are probably my most natural shot.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #21
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Yea all of these are just pretty much messing around (but messing around with a purpose ) because I can't do anything full speed. I figure I can still get the movements down though. We are working on not overexposing the ball though... On the 2 dribble pullups he put his hand down by my waist so I couldn't expose the ball when going up for the shot. On the 1 dribble pullups he didn't even put his hand up at all so it was kind of like a useless drill I am really working on keeping the ball protected though... I did a good job of swinging the ball over the top on the 2 dribble, but on the 1 dribble I totally exposed it out in front of my body... That's not something I want to get used to... overall that was just bad drill lol... at least I made my shots tho ha.

I am actually very comfortable fading away on my jumpers though... I know it's not typically what you want, and I don't always do it... but I can make them. I am so used to fade aways out of the post and step back jumpers that fade aways are probably my most natural shot.

did you watch the Kobe tutorial? Just like he says it is important to get a good balance before fading away. So you can fade but if you don't have the steady base any push can create a terrible shot. You did hit 'em, so when you get a good, hard dribble, stay on balance you can get a very, very good pull up jumper. Keep working on those.

Good job working on protecting the ball, avoiding turnovers is very important.

You got a very nice midrange game btw.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #22
KJones
Banned

KJones has an OK reputation so far

Here are a few videos relating to the mid range game. Dark also commented on it. It would be great if some of the more experienced guys like Dark who can really play would post a few videos relating to the topic as well. A lot of younger players are totally neglecting this part of the game and hindering our overall offensive development.

These are all basic set up moves that will easily get you into that 15 to 18 foot mid range kill zone. I'm only going about 60 percent game speed here so excuse me for being a little high with the dribble and slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA1nap40kqo (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad7GYJ9LooI (part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MPqXS5hMes (part 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Dqj8U3Ofo (part 4)

This is 6 or 7 different counters based off the same move. Every move that you have should have 6 to 10 different counters that can get you the same shot in the same kill zone at will. You should be able to complete each like clock work, without thinking just reacting. So that means hours of repetition, repetition, repetition. Small guards should have 3 or 4 kill zones mapped out in a general radius, Bigger guards should have 6 to 8 that are more spot on and exact because you'll be receiving the ball in more exact positions with a live dribble, plus triple threat and post options off the catch... Any questions?
KJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

thanks for the vids KJ

i like how you mapped out the spots, moves, and counters. very strategic, i like that.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJones
Here are a few videos relating to the mid range game. Dark also commented on it. It would be great if some of the more experienced guys like Dark who can really play would post a few videos relating to the topic as well. A lot of younger players are totally neglecting this part of the game and hindering our overall offensive development.

These are all basic set up moves that will easily get you into that 15 to 18 foot mid range kill zone. I'm only going about 60 percent game speed here so excuse me for being a little high with the dribble and slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA1nap40kqo (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad7GYJ9LooI (part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MPqXS5hMes (part 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Dqj8U3Ofo (part 4)

This is 6 or 7 different counters based off the same move. Every move that you have should have 6 to 10 different counters that can get you the same shot in the same kill zone at will. You should be able to complete each like clock work, without thinking just reacting. So that means hours of repetition, repetition, repetition. Small guards should have 3 or 4 kill zones mapped out in a general radius, Bigger guards should have 6 to 8 that are more spot on and exact because you'll be receiving the ball in more exact positions with a live dribble, plus triple threat and post options off the catch... Any questions?

Did you play college basketball when you were younger? you seem very skilled

Last edited by Birmingham1955 : 05-07-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #25
KJones
Banned

KJones has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
Did you play college basketball when you were younger? you seem very skilled

8 years of pro ball in Europe, 1 year in the Middle East and about 5 games in the ABA (That leagues is so horrible it should count as -5)
KJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #26
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

you are a very good ballplayer. How tall are you?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #27
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
did you watch the Kobe tutorial? Just like he says it is important to get a good balance before fading away. So you can fade but if you don't have the steady base any push can create a terrible shot. You did hit 'em, so when you get a good, hard dribble, stay on balance you can get a very, very good pull up jumper. Keep working on those.

Good job working on protecting the ball, avoiding turnovers is very important.

You got a very nice midrange game btw.

Yea I had already seen it actually. I see what you mean. I'll be sure to work on my balance on those and all my shots.

That's exactly how I like to practice K Jones... I like doing a series of moves/countermoves that are based on how defenders might react. I can really expand it tho... I'll work on that. I want to have like 10 moves I can go to so nobody can ever stop me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxoFzeuD5A :A vid of me and my friend playing a non competitive game of 3 on 3. I literally played no defense and those 2 times where is was in the post were the only times I did anything besides shoot an open jumper or just pass it off. I just figured I'd let these guys get some practice and work up a little sweat lol. I don't know the little guy with the braids but he had a nice stroke so I figured I throw in some highlights of him too

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 05-07-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #28
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

lol @ "non competitive"

and @kjones u dribble exactly like my pg when i was in hs. Those quick spurts and then you kinda walk into another quick spurt. its identical lol
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #29
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJones
The mid range is almost always open especially for guys who catch the ball on the wing and have a good jab step and one bounce game. Its dead because most players today once they put the ball on the floor will force the second and third dribble to try to make the spectacular play as opposed to making the simple play that's there. Unless you are a absolutely deadly three point shooter (Deadly means 80 to 90 makes out of 100 shots from 3 doing game simulation shooting drills, or 40%+ game shooter) you should only be taking that shot 2 to 3 times a game. All you have to do as an offensive player to get a good midrange look is get on the side of the defender. You don't even have to beat him, once he drops that back leg to slide you are on the side of him. If you work on your footwork off the pivot, understanding body and ball positioning, you can easily get that 15 to 17 foot shot off with one leg, one arm and blind...

I think i misused my wording. What i was trying to imply is you rarely get a wide open look from the midrange due to collaspes on the defense, especially in pick up games where their arent many off the ball screens and because poor spaces.

You basically have to create your own offense like in your video to get a clean look for mid range, unless some goes underneath a pick. If you take the entire bball population regardless of skill not many can create their on offense in an iso situation that takes a lot of skill, not just footwork, dribbling, but you got to have a jumper of the dribble, while the shot is only worth 2 points. Mix that all in the mid is slowly dying as a whole, i shouldn't have said its dead, but slowly dying especially if you compare it to 20 years ago, just look at the average 3 point attempts now compared to 1989 to tell you that.

I think also implied i take a lot of 3's, i don't. I actually take more mid range then 3s especially if you count post play. i try to attack and get to the hole though anytime i get the ball though. I am one who can create my own offense and use that to set up guys on my team for open shots.

Speaking on just mid range terms i do the move you do in part 1 quit a bit when there is traffic. the back to basket spin and the step back to bank shot. I bank all the time probably 70% of my mid range shots are banks since it is a high percentage if one practices it a lot. The bank shot is another thing i'll classify as slowly dying, but not dead yet. V cut to the wing and face up if i see hand down, bank shot. In the post, face up step back bank. Or a drive pull up on a dime. my personal favorite triple threat one or two steps pump fake up and under to bank or throw it off the glass and go get for a putback. Then also in the pick and roll game, if the guy goes underneath the screen. Even that triple threat fake one way go another in your video takes alot of footwork skill to execute. You seem NBA guys travel uses that move on a gamely basis. All these moves and reads, and the moves you do take a lot of skill especially to pull off in live contest. That's why as a whole it isn't used as much

Speaking on just the video, I liked how you broke everything down and have really nice handle. Yeah, it doesn't surprise me you played 10 years of pro ball overseas, highly skilled and very good player. You said you played in the ABA for 5 games and it was a terrible pro league, I knew it fell from grace when you compare it to the 70's, but is that bad nowadays?

Last edited by lilojmayo : 05-07-2010 at 09:42 PM.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #30
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

The mid range is so underrated... but it's also really hard, cause like everyone else mentioned, but how are you supposed to get a shot off when the D closes in like that? Space creating moves only get you so far, so what are some tips to get more elevation on a jump shot?

I am too bad at shooting, it's ridiculous, because I notice everything that's wrong with my shot every time I shoot from leaning back to bad release to bringing the ball too high. I'll probably spend an hour just shooting under the basket... pretty boring, but I'm sure it'll pay off.

But I know how lethal the mid range is because there's this kid I play with, he has a disease where his endurance is really low so the fact that he's a beast now just shows how good he once was. But he can get the ball from his dribble to his shot pocket so quick you have no chance to react and even when you try to block it, he's too quick and it's like a freaking machine, from just inside the 3 point line you're screwed if he gets a look at the basket. I need to be like that
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: