Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
I Love You
I brick open layups

I Love You has an OK reputation so far
Default Need some advices

Alright so now I play ball and really wants to get into the team. Don't have any real guidance on how to have a higher jumping ability (mine sucks right now) and how long to go before I can jump up way high? Now I can touch the bottom of the board and that's it, considering I'm just about 5'5. Not really sure what's the height of the rim though. I need to really get up there just so I can get better finishing around the rim and I think it helps with my jumpshot too.

Second thing. I like playing off the ball running around screens and getting open to have a catch and shoot opportunity(Ray Allen style but I have not mastered his ways yet). Now I'm wondering is this limiting my slashing ability? Sometimes when I try to cut inside I cannot really do it. Is it because of how I am used to catch and shoot and not know how to slash inside anymore? Or I don't have the confidence to do it? Or I don't have the speed or fast first step to get around my defender?

Really need advices. Thanks.
I Love You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Sticks has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Need some advices

For part 1 read this thread: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=149022

Swagging has pretty much written out a Jump Manual in there.

The second part, it's most likely a head thing. If you can run around screens to get open to catch and shoot you can slash. You just need to practice it, work on your timing, use body fakes and in-out movements etc. The best slashers I know are not the quickest guys but the guys who go their proper position away from the ball, see that you're overhelping or not looking and leave you in their dust wondering what happened. So you'll have to be able to read the situation and the game.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
I Love You
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks
For part 1 read this thread: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=149022

Swagging has pretty much written out a Jump Manual in there.

The second part, it's most likely a head thing. If you can run around screens to get open to catch and shoot you can slash. You just need to practice it, work on your timing, use body fakes and in-out movements etc. The best slashers I know are not the quickest guys but the guys who go their proper position away from the ball, see that you're overhelping or not looking and leave you in their dust wondering what happened. So you'll have to be able to read the situation and the game.

I have read some of that whenever I can, having read a little from the past, is it possible to do it without weights? Sure, my school has the gym, but I don't have any equipment at home. I do push ups everyday if I can, and maybe those calf raises, but other than that, I'm limited. Membership at a local gym is not out of my range but I don't really have time to commit to workouts. Also, I'm about 135lbs and I'm wondering if weights training or push ups help in gaining my mass up?

For the second part, does playing 1 on 1 drills help a lot in isolation situation? I really want to be good at it. I know running around screens and catching the ball can help you to get into the paint much easier sometimes but I'm leaning more towards the dribbling out of the key trying to get to the hole. Sometimes I can't get through the defense even though I know I have the advantage. Do I need to develop some sort of specialities to be a good perimeter player?

E.g. Dribbling towards mid range for a pull up jumper.
Try to crossover the guy guarding me.

Etc. Tons of ways to do it. I guess I do need some practice in these. Any drills for me to do on the basketball court?

I have also realised that I have no idea what to do in pressing defenses. Those that will be too close for comfort that wants to steal your ball even when at the half court line. What do I do? I know it's good if I play give and go or get screens but other than that it's really hard to slash inside. Any advice on that? Maybe I can do some v-cuts? How can I penetrate someone with an agressive defense?

Thanks for answering my question.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love You
I have read some of that whenever I can, having read a little from the past, is it possible to do it without weights? Sure, my school has the gym, but I don't have any equipment at home. I do push ups everyday if I can, and maybe those calf raises, but other than that, I'm limited. Membership at a local gym is not out of my range but I don't really have time to commit to workouts. Also, I'm about 135lbs and I'm wondering if weights training or push ups help in gaining my mass up?

For the second part, does playing 1 on 1 drills help a lot in isolation situation? I really want to be good at it. I know running around screens and catching the ball can help you to get into the paint much easier sometimes but I'm leaning more towards the dribbling out of the key trying to get to the hole. Sometimes I can't get through the defense even though I know I have the advantage. Do I need to develop some sort of specialities to be a good perimeter player?

E.g. Dribbling towards mid range for a pull up jumper.
Try to crossover the guy guarding me.

Etc. Tons of ways to do it. I guess I do need some practice in these. Any drills for me to do on the basketball court?

I have also realised that I have no idea what to do in pressing defenses. Those that will be too close for comfort that wants to steal your ball even when at the half court line. What do I do? I know it's good if I play give and go or get screens but other than that it's really hard to slash inside. Any advice on that? Maybe I can do some v-cuts? How can I penetrate someone with an agressive defense?

Thanks for answering my question.

If you solely want to improve vertical, don't gain mass. Additional muscle mass only weighs you down.

For isolation, yeah 1 on 1 is the best way you can improve at it. But make sure you don't get carried away in a game just going all iso because everyone else will get pretty impatient.

To fight a press, I think the most important thing is to be confident. They're coming at you so you have to stay calm, don't panic and just make your way up the court. If they reach, you spin/cross/blow by them. If they body you, body them back. You can't be scared and pick up your dribble, especially before you even advance the ball over half court. You do that, you risk turnovers. Just work on your handle and protecting the ball with your body and hands.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
I Love You
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
If you solely want to improve vertical, don't gain mass. Additional muscle mass only weighs you down.

For isolation, yeah 1 on 1 is the best way you can improve at it. But make sure you don't get carried away in a game just going all iso because everyone else will get pretty impatient.

To fight a press, I think the most important thing is to be confident. They're coming at you so you have to stay calm, don't panic and just make your way up the court. If they reach, you spin/cross/blow by them. If they body you, body them back. You can't be scared and pick up your dribble, especially before you even advance the ball over half court. You do that, you risk turnovers. Just work on your handle and protecting the ball with your body and hands.

I realised in a game that it was best to be calm and do what you usually do. 'Just pass the god damn ball!' But yeah, I guess confidence is the key. Usually guys who fumble the ball are usually inexperienced in handling the situation but I guess the long break from basketball really hurt me.

Yeah, not 1 on 1 all game of course, but usually when the team is really stagnant on offense I hope to pick up the slack and score some points for my team, be it from jump shots or the charity stripe.

Point taken, thanks.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea if you are looking to gain vert.. then you need to do weights for your lower body to get the full effect. You certainly can do plyos though for some gains. I can send you the VJB program if you want and you can follow the novice plyo program on there. That will probably give you about 4 or 5 inches on your vert. Playing ball a lot also helps... so you can pick one or the other... but if you decide to do the program, then play no more than twice a week otherwise you will be overworking your system. When you play ball, make sure you are jumping around... go high for boards, go high for layups... the people who play like that, all of them have impressive verts (Dominique, Jordan, Kemp, etc.). Most people with low verts don't even try to play above the rim so they never improve. I would honestly do the VJB if I were you tho... structure is what you are going to need.

You can actually do some pushups and elbow bridges if you want tho... you won't gain too much mass and they will help strengthen your core (and having a strong core helps with vert). Other than that... yea you can do some pull ups and stuff... but overall training upper body doesn't help with vert and like Carp said, it weighs you down. I train upper body because I want the overall look... so it really comes down to what all you want.

I like 21 better for improving overall 1 on 1 game. A lot of the times you can get past your man but there is somebody else waiting for you or sliding over... so 21 better simulates that. You beat your man in 1 on 1 it's smooth sailing... not the case in 21 if you are playing a competitive game.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: