Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 04-14-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default 2011 NBA Playoffs Round 1: Thunder vs Nuggets preview

The Oklahoma City Thunder face the Denver Nuggets in the first round of the 2011 NBA Playoffs.

Discuss the matchup! Strengths of each team, weaknesses, and don't just predict the outcome -- EXPLAIN WHY!
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
KDthunderup
Good college starter

Default Re: 2011 NBA Playoffs Round 1: Thunder vs Nuggets

Thunder in 7

Westbrook > Lawson
Sefalosha < Affalo
Durant > Gallinari
Ibaka > Martin
Perkins < Nene

Thunder bench - Denver Bench

Homecourt will be the deciding factor.

Last edited by KDthunderup : 04-14-2011 at 04:09 AM.
KDthunderup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
kurple
NBA All-star

Injuries are killing us, Thunder in 6 or 7
kurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
M.V.P
Most Valuable Player

I see Thunder in 5 or 6. I'm sure the Nuggets will give them a run for their money each game, but when it comes down to the end of the game, OKC has Westbrook and Durant to depend on, while the Nuggets (while they have clutch role players definitely) lack the go to guy down the stretch (or at least I feel so). It will be a tough series, and especially more so than the final outcome suggest.
M.V.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
Djsonny
Kids at the park dunk on me

I think this is going to be the must exciting series in the playoffs. Portland and Dallas as well but portland plays at a slower pace, where as both these teams are run and guns, cant wait!
Djsonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
G-Funk
Palm Trees & Gangsters

6-7*games
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #7
dsrdsr
I brick open layups

Both have deep bench, but OKC's starters are alot better.

4-1.
dsrdsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #8
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Most important thing to determine the series will be what the health situation is for the Nuggets. AA has been out of commission for quite some time and didn't look too good when he was on and he's a pretty important piece. Throw in Nene got hurt, Lawson got hurt, Gallo has been banged up. How healthy the Nuggets are will decide weather or not the Thunder demolishes them or if the Nuggets put up a fight.

Anyways if Denver is in good shape I'll say OKC in 6. I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver upset tho. We've got Kenyon\Gallo\AA\Chandler to throw at Durant. Ty\Felton\AA to throw at Westbrook. If Ty\Felton play there best we can overcome the advantage the Thunder has at the PG slot. When you look at the games where both play 30 minutes and both are on there games it's pretty crazy the production they can produce.

I think Denver will have trouble stopping OKC's run and counterproducing it. Doesn't matter how good you guard Durant he's going to off sometimes no matter what. When OKC goes on those 10-15 points, I don't think Denver can consistently match it. Denver has no trouble putting up 100+ points, more along the lines of can they score at the right times and the times they need to and they lack the player to do that where as OKC has two of them.

Interesting to see how OKC comes out of the gate tho. Never won a playoff series, and there only series they have been in they were HUGE underdogs with no expectations. Now people expect them to make noise, the attention will be on them. Those two first home games I'm curious to see how Durant\Westbrook react. Weather or not they try to take over, fade away, step up etc. because those first two games are looked at as games OKC should take without question.

I'm just hoping Denver can get healthy. It'll be a good series. Should see some good physical play too. I imagine we'll see a few scrums with K-Mart and Ibaka as well as Nene and Perkins.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #9
AMISTILLILL
Banned

I honestly love both of these teams. Each has their own individual regular season story that makes their success up to this point just that much more impressive.

The Thunder are a well oiled machine right now, growing in confidence from the trades that strengthened their front court in February. The Nuggets, though just as confident and eager to go deep in the post-season, are reeling from injuries. Players like JR Smith and Martin will shoot this team out of games where an extra pass or taking seconds more off the clock to shoot in rhythm might have brought about different results. Truthfully, I'm not so sure a team that, for all intents and purposes, was Frankensteined together mid-season will have what it takes to shock the world, despite their much admired cohesiveness and team oriented approach to the game.

The Nuggets are a testament to what a team can do in the absence of any real 'face of the franchise' superstar but, in the end, I think their productivity following Melo's trade is a heartwarming story that will have to end in the first round. The Thunder are just way too hungry and eager to prove to the world that they're ready NOW, instead of waiting for the juggernauts of the west to simply die out and leave the torch behind for them to carry.

Thunder in 5.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
dbugz
Gang Green

Would love to see again Thunder's crowd again standing, cheering and jumping the whole 48 Minutes
dbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
gutshot
Kids at the park dunk on me

Wow, I'd love to watch every West Conference Playoffs series this season! Each team is very close and this matchup is no exception.

I believe Nuggets have the deepest and most balanced roster in the NBA. Maybe they don't have a superstar but they don't have any poor player either. Both teams are doing great lately and it's not easy to predict the winner of these series. Lawson is a very quick PG but he lacks size. How he is going to do on Westbrook is going to be the key. Another problem is Gallinari defending Durant. Denver on the other hand have various weapons and play great defensively esp on their home court. Their bench is excellent too. OKC have been playing together for a while and have some playoff experience. This is going to be very close and I think if Nuggets manage to get an extra win they can win it but OKC have some slight edge.

My prediction: OKC 4:3 Denver

Last edited by gutshot : 04-14-2011 at 11:57 AM.
gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
MELOgamaniac
High school junior varsity star

Denver in 6 or 7...break out playoff performance for JR
MELOgamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
kurple
NBA All-star

I wonder how good the nuggets team when they get time to gel.. Since people love talking about the Knicks needing time to gel
Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #14
OKCThunderUP
Thank you Based Presti

Denver doesn't have anyone strong enough to stop Durant and no one fast enough to stop Westbrook. The OKC bench is deep and was one of the biggest keys to their two victories over Denver a couple of weeks ago.

OKC is one of the few teams fast enough to prevent Denver from playing their run and gun game. It doesn't speak well to Denver, historically, that they don't have a super star player to get the ball to come crunch time.

It will be a good series but I have OKC in 6.
OKCThunderUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
kurple
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCThunderUP
Denver doesn't have anyone strong enough to stop Durant and no one fast enough to stop Westbrook. The OKC bench is deep and was one of the biggest keys to their two victories over Denver a couple of weeks ago.
You have to be strong to guard KD?

And if we don't have anyone fast enough to guard Westbrook, who will guard Lawson?

The Thunder's fast break defense and the refs are the only things that worries me, but it can also be very inconsistent.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: