Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
dutchguy
uses velcro

Default Re: what type of offense do you run in a pick up game?

Where I'm from, setting a screen in a pick-up game is considered snobbish, nerdy and almost unsportsmanlike. You gotta win on skills, not on strategy. Especially players who've never been coached and are strictly street ballers are looking like "what?", sometimes even literally saying "what is that" or "that's illegal"

So you see players who are used to playing an offense passing the ball, moving to do a screen-away, but not actually setting the screen, just swapping position.

Lots of give n go, in-out, cutting, posting and generally lots of off the baal movement
dutchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchguy
Where I'm from, setting a screen in a pick-up game is considered snobbish, nerdy and almost unsportsmanlike. You gotta win on skills, not on strategy. Especially players who've never been coached and are strictly street ballers are looking like "what?", sometimes even literally saying "what is that" or "that's illegal"

So you see players who are used to playing an offense passing the ball, moving to do a screen-away, but not actually setting the screen, just swapping position.

Lots of give n go, in-out, cutting, posting and generally lots of off the baal movement
That's strange to me. I have never heard someone consider a screen snobish and unsportsmanlike. I've always considered setting a screen as a skill in itself, which is why the 50 year old fellow that comes down to the courts every now again dominates a little when we begin working the pick-and-roll together.

I admit there are times when I just find things perplexing on-court. I'll take a look and see four teammates standing around and they do not seem to think twice about the idea of perhaps screening away, or even effectively using a screen if one is set.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchguy

That's one of the strangest things I've ever heard about playing basketball.

Are they also against running a fast break because it's "nerdy" to take advantage of the situation? Perhaps playing defense is also snobbish. Maybe boxing out is unsportsmanlike... I don't know.

I really just don't get it at all. It's a "how dare you use skill and position to beat me" kind of thing, almost as if the group you play with doesn't know much about basketball fundamentals.

Maybe you need to find a new group to play with
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
LBJFTW
Duncan>Kobe>Lebron

Is this type of play going down in Amsterdam? Does the court look like this:

or is it some crazy angled lane lines like this:

LBJFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #20
dutchguy
uses velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkess
That's one of the strangest things I've ever heard about playing basketball.

Are they also against running a fast break because it's "nerdy" to take advantage of the situation? Perhaps playing defense is also snobbish. Maybe boxing out is unsportsmanlike... I don't know.

I really just don't get it at all. It's a "how dare you use skill and position to beat me" kind of thing, almost as if the group you play with doesn't know much about basketball fundamentals.

Maybe you need to find a new group to play with

Of course it's not snobbish, but it's considered that. A big reason for that is that bball is not big in the netherlands. People learn some in high school, but just very basic. So if you don't join a club (sports is not in school, but seperate in clubs) oyu'll never learn the difference between a pg and c. or what a screen is. This doesn't mean you can't be pretty good. So maybe that's the reason. Anyway screening is considered as disrupting "honest" man to man defense. I don't agree per se, but I understand it, especially if some people on the court just don't have a clue what you're doing: you are beating them with tactics, not with skill. If that's a bad thing.

But: what if someone would start to play zone against your team in a pick up game? Most people don't like that. The screening is a bit the same thing.

This doesn't go for every game in the whole of holland, just a general impression from a european country.

LBJFTW: both, because the local government builds most courts and they don't have a clue. Lot of times no 3p line, only half court.
Even crazier stuff: full court 1 basket. No lines at all. Basket mounted directly to wall. basket on a grass field!! This is the majority of courts, especially in smaller cities or villages. It used to drive me crazy as a kid.
Thank god I have an indoor court now
Old 05-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #21
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

I think I understand a little bit better now, thanks for the response.

It sounds like screening seems unfair or almost unsportsmanlike because the people you play with aren't certain how to beat it and it seems unnatural. Teamwork trumps 1-on-1 play almost every time in basketball.

FWIW, playing a zone is okay in a pickup game. It's actually harder to get a zone defense to work correctly without teamwork as there's a lot of rotation required.
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #22
dutchguy
uses velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkess
I think I understand a little bit better now, thanks for the response.

It sounds like screening seems unfair or almost unsportsmanlike because the people you play with aren't certain how to beat it and it seems unnatural. Teamwork trumps 1-on-1 play almost every time in basketball.
Exactly
Quote:
FWIW, playing a zone is okay in a pickup game. It's actually harder to get a zone defense to work correctly without teamwork as there's a lot of rotation required.
Sure, but when people are just forcing you to continualy keep shooting, it gets boring, especially when some of the players are not that good taking shots (especially young people with little range). so when people play a sort of lazy 'just shoot it' zone people tend to get pissed. As defensive effort is always a problem in pick up games, a lot of brawls start with people sagging off into a "zone"

edit: btw, I play with a lot of different groups

Last edited by dutchguy : 05-13-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #23
devin112
Local High School Star

you guys out there don't like screens or think it's strange? you guys must enjoy watching and1 mixtapes more then NBA games then. screens happen multiple times every possession. it's as fundamental as it gets. basketball is a team sport designed that way.

i use the screen not so much for myself actually, it's to free up my teammates on the roll. it disrupts the defense and they have to switch, allowing my teammates to attack.

so what do you guys do out there, just stand around on the court and watch each other go one on one all day? now that's strange.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #24
dutchguy
uses velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
you guys out there don't like screens or think it's strange? you guys must enjoy watching and1 mixtapes more then NBA games then. screens happen multiple times every possession. it's as fundamental as it gets. basketball is a team sport designed that way.

so what do you guys do out there, just stand around on the court and watch each other go one on one all day? now that's strange.
totally agree, just saying that's what happens. And yes that is because a lotta guys only wanna play the and1 mixtape style. I just remembered that way back, like 92/93 somewhere you had the Reebok Blacktop (!yes i'm old) series, where they would come to your town and set up some courts and have a tournament 3on3 on a half court. It was in the rules that you couldn't play zone (halfcourt 3on3!?) and I believe I got called for setting a pick.

On the other hand, you can play mad sophisticated ball without setting any screens, you don't have to "stand around and watch eachother go 1on1 all day" although that does happen when playing with some 2pac wannabe's who never heard of traveling
Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #25
devin112
Local High School Star

reebok blacktops? i think i remember those, as a kid i had converse blacktops. those were pretty sweet.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: