Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Knicksfever2010
Decent college freshman

Default 1940's-1950's nba players vs. basketball players of today

just me, but watching old footage of those guys, they looked very robotic, mechanical and slow (set shots etc..)

if those NBA players played even a college basketball team of today (duke)... who would win? Just me but I would think just based on the athletic ability of the young players today would beat the nba players of the 1940's and 1950's etc..
Knicksfever2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Pursuer
High School Varsity 12th Man

Default Re: 1940's-1950's nba players vs. basketball players of today

To me it's completely the same. I don't think that players from the 40's and the 50's would have much of chance.
Pursuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Soothsayer
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
just me, but watching old footage of those guys, they looked very robotic, mechanical and slow (set shots etc..)

if those NBA players played even a college basketball team of today (duke)... who would win? Just me but I would think just based on the athletic ability of the young players today would beat the nba players of the 1940's and 1950's etc..

Bear in mind that the "tape" or "film" the games were filmed on at the time can degrade over time, making things look slower than they actually were.

Manu Ginobili shoots set shots. So did Magic.

It's really a fruitless discussion. Players from today can't magically transport back in time taking with them all the benefits of playing today. If they were playing back in the day, they wouldn't be the athletes they are today.
And if the players from the 50s were playing today, they would be better athletes due to the training advantages today.
Soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Rob123
Kids at the park dunk on me

This is so dumb.

Yes technology is better today, but lets face it, it's not like people back in the day were in terrible shape because they didnt have a gym on every corner, or no-xplode at the grocery store, not to mention the game of basketball has evolved drastically since then. Give both sets of guys the same rules, a ball and a court and who knows what could happen.

There's no evidence one way or another to decided this question. So dont worry your little head.
Rob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

Another thing to keep in mind is the rules of each era.

If it's played in the 1940's:

-There is no three point line
-the lane is six feet wide
-Fouls result in a jumpball until the penelty
-players can foul out of a quarter, not a game
-Should a modern player attempt to dunk he will be beaten by the other team
-Most modern players would be called for traveling or palming the ball on half the possesions because of their habits handling the ball.
-they have to wear those tight shorts
-gym shoes have no support at all
-the ball is no where near as nice
-the floors are plywood slapped over Ice rinks and usually have puddles and dead spots
-Players and coaches will be smoking on the bench and at halftime.
-Fans are likely to throw things at you, spit on you or just attack you.
- No Blacks allowed.

There is no point to the discussion really as another poster said because without the players of the 1940's, the players today never get to where they are.

Pro Basketball is much younger than the other pro sports which all began around the turn of the century or before.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

I think the best players hit roughly modern levels in the very late 50s and into the 60s. ebfore that the rules were too different, the players were smaller(actually some 6'5'' centers like people claim were around in the late 60s), shots were quite different, and they relied on straight volume shooting.

But once you get modern style athletes and everyone shoots jumpers its pretty much the same to me. you arent gonna be a better shooter with equal practice because its 2010 as opposed to 1972. Arent gonna see the floor better. See how rebounds come off the rim better.

Once you got to the point everyone was used to the jumper I think you just need to be smart and willing to go hard to play in any era.

But in like 1942? Guys learned the game in the 30s. Whole didferent game.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: