Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #31
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Should the minimum age be 21 instead of 19?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattevans11
Did you live my life or was that me who lived my life?

just checking!
Wtf are you talking about. Stop being a dumbass.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #32
sacredcow
Good High School Starter

sacredcow has decent reputationsacredcow has decent reputation

I am a recruiter for the Army; believe me when I say most that I encounter are like that. Everyday I think to myself when I see a recruit fresh out of high school that they're in for a rude awakening with the mindset they're joining with. I cannot how many times I hear comments like "I can't wait to go kill some sand monkeys", the ignorance and immaturity of kids these days just sickens me. They don't take into the account that if they get deployed that they may never return, they think it's another round of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. This was the gist of a conversation a few weeks ago when a mother expressed her concern with her son going to war:

Me: You have to hope for the best, expect the worst. Pray that he will return but know there is a chance and you have to prepare yourself emotionally should something tragic like that occurs.
Mom: I just don't know, no mother wants to see their child go off to war, let alone think of the possibility they may never return.
Recruit: Mom, do not worry because I am coming back

He said that in a very joking manner, not even thinking of the severity of being sent to war. His mother didn't like his response because she knew he wasn't taking things seriously, just wanting college education and the chance to kill some people. He is probably crying like a baby in basic training right now. Then again, that is the whole point of the military. Break you down then mold you back to what we want you to be. Just another day at work.

You find immaturity in recruits in the 21-23 age group, but not nearly as often as you'll find in the 18-20 group.

Last edited by sacredcow : 05-13-2010 at 12:07 AM.
sacredcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #33
mattevans11
National High School Star

mattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
Wtf are you talking about. Stop being a dumbass.

me? you jsut responded that my difference from 18 to 21 was not as big as i thought.... and i am the dumbass????

troll on trolla
mattevans11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #34
Tito Beasley
Banned

Tito Beasley is starting to rub some people the wrong wayTito Beasley is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
Over the past few seasons there has been Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo, Danilo Gallinari, Eric Gordon, Kevin Durant, Wilson Chandler etc... these are all very good players. Then there's young guys who seem like they have bright futures and have shown flashes, such as Jrue Holiday, Anthony Randolph, Serge Ibaka, Deandre Jordan, JJ Hickson, etc.

I don't see what your point is. Those guys would still be successful whether the requirement is one year, two years, or no years. But by having them be removed from high school for at least two years (which is what I support) you would increase the chances of making accurate player assessments, as well as having more physically and fundamentally refined young players on NBA rosters. This isn't about the player's rights. The players don't own the league. If they dont like it, they can go start their own basketball league. The league has a right to do what is in ITS best interest.
Tito Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:18 AM   #35
mattevans11

mattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat coolmattevans11 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredcow
I am a recruiter for the Army; believe me when I say most that I encounter are like that. Everyday I think to myself when I see a recruit fresh out of high school that they're in for a rude awakening with the mindset they're joining with. I cannot how many times I hear comments like "I can't wait to go kill some sand monkeys", the ignorance and immaturity of kids these days just sickens me. They don't take into the account that if they get deployed that they may never return, they think it's another round of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. This was the gist of a conversation a few weeks ago when a mother expressed her concern with her son going to war:

Me: You have to hope for the best, expect the worst. Pray that he will return but know there is a chance and you have to prepare yourself emotionally should something tragic like that occurs.
Mom: I just don't know, no mother wants to see their child go off to war, let alone think of the possibility they may never return.
Recruit: Mom, do not worry because I am coming back

He said that in a very joking manner, not even thinking of the severity of being sent to war. His mother didn't like his response because she knew he wasn't taking things seriously, just wanting college education and the chance to kill some people. He is probably crying like a baby in basic training right now. Then again, that is the whole point of the military. Break you down then mold you back to what we want you to be. Just another day at work.

You find immaturity in recruits in the 21-23 age group, but not nearly as often as you'll find in the 18-20 group.

Well said
Old 05-13-2010, 12:18 AM   #36
Tito Beasley
Banned

Tito Beasley is starting to rub some people the wrong wayTito Beasley is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
It could be well-argued that we shouldn't be sending 18 year-olds to war.

No it couldn't. You wanna send 27 year olds who are far more likely to have a family to support and are far more important for skilled labor? Or would you rather send 13 year olds?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #37
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Beasley
I don't see what your point is.

I don't see how it's good for the NBA to keep great talents out of the league until they are 21... I don't think it's fair either. That's my point.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #38
mattevans11

Quote:
I don't see what your point is. Those guys would still be successful whether the requirement is one year, two years, or no years. But by having them be removed from high school for at least two years (which is what I support) you would increase the chances of making accurate player assessments, as well as having more physically and fundamentally refined young players on NBA rosters. This isn't about the player's rights. The players don't own the league. If they dont like it, they can go start their own basketball league. The league has a right to do what is in ITS best interest.

his point is that they can handle it at a younger age than the thread title states....
do i really have to cliffs notes the argument for you?

OP argument= 21 should be the age
ishiot 1 argument = why not let them come earlier?

OP: age should be 21
ishiot 1: why
OP : cause they are not ready?
ishiot 1: how about these guys?
idiot 1: (you): what was the point of listing these guys?

do you understand now tito?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:24 AM   #39
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
me? you jsut responded that my difference from 18 to 21 was not as big as i thought.... and i am the dumbass????

troll on trolla
I said I thought, not you thought. Thus, you're being a dumbass, and need to read.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 AM   #40
Tito Beasley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
I don't see how it's good for the NBA to keep great talents out of the league until they are 21... I don't think it's fair either. That's my point.

You don't think they're gonna be great athletes when they get there? I don't understand. You don't think it's good for the league to have rookies, who often are relied on to play significant minutes, to have that much more experience and basketball aptitude playing at a post-high school level?

Also, I don't necessarily agree with 21 either. I think two years removed from high school is sufficient, and for many players that's 20. And I think the pros outweight the cons when you let players who are going to be paid multi-millions develop some maturity at a lower level before you immediately throw them onto a court with professional 30 year olds.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:26 AM   #41
mattevans11

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
I said I thought, not you thought. Thus, you're being a dumbass, and need to read.

and you were inferring that this is true for everyone...... i know inferences is a higher type of skill in reading comprehension...... but you CAN DO IT!!!!! i believe in you!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #42
Tito Beasley
Banned

Quote:
his point is that they can handle it at a younger age than the thread title states....
do i really have to cliffs notes the argument for you?

OP argument= 21 should be the age
ishiot 1 argument = why not let them come earlier?

OP: age should be 21
ishiot 1: why
OP : cause they are not ready?
ishiot 1: how about these guys?
idiot 1: (you): what was the point of listing these guys?

do you understand now tito?

shut up retard
Old 05-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #43
mattevans11

Quote:
You don't think they're gonna be great athletes when they get there? I don't understand. You don't think it's good for the league to have rookies, who often are relied on to play significant minutes, to have that much more experience and basketball aptitude playing at a post-high school level?

Also, I don't necessarily agree with 21 either. I think two years removed from high school is sufficient, and for many players that's 20. And I think the pros outweight the cons when you let players who are going to be paid multi-millions develop some maturity at a lower level before you immediately throw them onto a court with professional 30 year olds.

pay them to go to school (and dont give me this shcolarship argument) and problem is solved
Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #44
mattevans11

Quote:
shut up retard

you got proven to ask an idiot questions and this is all you have to say?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #45
Tito Beasley
Banned

Quote:
pay them to go to school (and dont give me this shcolarship argument) and problem is solved

If they want to be paid there are leagues where they can get paid.

If you look real real closely, you'll see that nowhere does the rule state they HAVE to go to college. Kareem Abdul Jabar may want them to, but it is not he who applies the rules.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: