Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 05-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #136
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

LBJMVP is considered somewhat coolLBJMVP is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Analysis on why LeBron/Cavaliers lost to Celtics in 2010 round 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDragicLegacy
If the dictionary talked about basketball it would say include under the definition of upset Cavs vs Boston 2010

no one that knows anything about either team can honestly say it was an upset. just like last year orlando was a 3 and cleveland a 1. it wasnt an upset the better team won
alston
lee
tergolu
lews howard

vs

williams
west
james
varajoe
ilgauskas
LBJMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:59 AM   #137
TheAnchorman
Luchini from the sky

TheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation hereTheAnchorman has an incredible reputation here

Anytime a vast majority of people believe a certain team will win, and that team ends up losing, then it is an upset. In hindsight "nothing" is an upset. But it is hindsight, after all.
TheAnchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 AM   #138
theDragicLegacy
Banned

theDragicLegacy has an OK reputation so far

You were saying Cavs were going to win the series easily and were highly favored before the series.

Now reality has set in and the Cavs were apparently the under dog the whole time and lost a matchup they were supposed to lose
theDragicLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 AM   #139
cotdt
Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan

cotdt has not been impressing people

Lebron-ball is not conducive to winning a championship, plain and simple.
cotdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #140
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

Quote:
You were saying Cavs were going to win the series easily and were highly favored before the series.

Now reality has set in and the Cavs were apparently the under dog the whole time and lost a matchup they were supposed to lose

its true... i got used to the celtics from the last half of the season when they werent healthy.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #141
theDragicLegacy
Banned

theDragicLegacy has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJMVP
its true... i got used to the celtics from the last half of the season when they werent healthy.
So you admit it was an upset. Thank you
theDragicLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 AM   #142
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

Quote:
So you admit it was an upset. Thank you

no an upset is when the clear better team loses.... the better team won.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:31 AM   #143
Micku
NBA lottery pick

Micku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJMVP
no an upset is when the clear better team loses.... the better team won.

No it doesn't. A upset means a team that beat the heavily favored opponent or an unexpected win.

The Cavs were favored to win it all or at least go to the finals this year. From the fans and sports analysis, people thought the Cavs would go to the finals. I thought they would meet their match against Orlando again. People thought the Celts was done in the latter half of the season. They played terrible. They thought that the Heat vs Celts series would go seven games afterall.

The Celts surprised everybody. They upset'd the Cavs, who most people thought they were the better team. It was the same last season too. Everyone thought that the Cavs would go to the finals, but the Magic upset'd the Cavs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchguy
After it all sunk in a bit. I'm thinking:

Why did nobody really call Mike Brown out before?

Some people did. People did notice how flawed the Cavs offensive was, and they can't really do that with elite teams. But, it worked for the regular season. Unlike last season, the Cavs did beat the elite teams this year in the regular season. They had all the right tools, and they had the best record in the league. I guess it is easy to overlook the Cavs flaws when they were doing so well?

While people are making fun of LeBron choking a bit, it was other reasons why the Cavs lost other than LeBron being shut down by the Celts. One of the reasons was because the Cavs don't have a good team offensive game.

Last edited by Micku : 05-16-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Micku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #144
dutchguy
uses velcro

dutchguy has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Some people did. People did notice how flawed the Cavs offensive was, and they can't really do that with elite teams. But, it worked for the regular season. Unlike last season, the Cavs did beat the elite teams this year in the regular season. They had all the right tools, and they had the best record in the league. I guess it is easy to overlook the Cavs flaws when they were doing so well?

While people are making fun of LeBron choking a bit, it was other reasons why the Cavs lost other than LeBron being shut down by the Celts. One of the reasons was because the Cavs don't have a good team offensive game.

Again, I'm not saying I predicted this, but I do have the feeling that everybody who watched the Cavs should have had more doubts. I don't know their record against all the elite teams, but they split the games against (banged up) Boston for example. You're totally right that it's easy to overlook their flaws when they have the best record, but how come 8 ESPN 'experts' pick the cavs?
I really think that anyone who's watched the cavs and knows basketball should have noticed this. It's easy in hindsight, but I can honestly say I saw it when I watched them, just didn't really pay attention to it, cause I've only seen them against the Celts.
On this boards I can only remember 1 or 2 persons saying their offense sucks, somewhere in january (forgetting all the trolls, who just hate the cavs).
The more I think of it the more I'm shocked
dutchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #145
Micku
NBA lottery pick

Micku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchguy
Again, I'm not saying I predicted this, but I do have the feeling that everybody who watched the Cavs should have had more doubts. I don't know their record against all the elite teams, but they split the games against (banged up) Boston for example. You're totally right that it's easy to overlook their flaws when they have the best record, but how come 8 ESPN 'experts' pick the cavs?
I really think that anyone who's watched the cavs and knows basketball should have noticed this. It's easy in hindsight, but I can honestly say I saw it when I watched them, just didn't really pay attention to it, cause I've only seen them against the Celts.
On this boards I can only remember 1 or 2 persons saying their offense sucks, somewhere in january (forgetting all the trolls, who just hate the cavs).
The more I think of it the more I'm shocked

Probably because of LeBron and they believed that the Celts didn't have 'it' anymore. I don't think anyone really expected him to struggle against the Celts and seem to give up later on.

For example, this article:
Quote:
The Cavaliers are the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference while the Celtics are the No. 4 seed.
Oddsmakers from online sports book Sports Interaction have made Cleveland the overwhelming favorites to win the series with a money line of -450 while the Celtics have a line of +325.
The Celtics certainly are going to give Cleveland all it can handle, as many of the vets on Boston know this may be their last chance for glory, but the Cavs seem to be title or bust, and Boston won’t be able to keep up with LeBron and the younger, faster Cavaliers.

http://www.thespread.com/nba-basketb...edictions.html

Many people believed that the Celts were less hungry than the LeBron and the Cavs, and that the Big Three were older, slower, and they weren't as good as 08. They made that judgment through the regular season.

Another article:

Quote:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers vs 4. Boston Celtics: Saturday, 8 p.m. This series obviously hinges on the health of LeBron James' right elbow. There doesn't appear to be any serious damage, so I think the best player and MVP of the NBA will have no problem overcoming this. He averaged nearly 33 points and over 8 points and 8 assists in the first round against the Bulls. The Celtics will need huge series from Ray Allen and Paul Pierce to have a chance. I just don't see LeBron losing in the second round; he wouldn't allow it. Cavs in 5.

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle...81474978209199

Nobody really consider the match ups and the Cavs offensive. They thought the Celts were washed up. No one would've guessed that Rondo would have exploded. No one would've guessed that Tony Allen would step up. Everyone thought that LeBron was going to have a GOAT playoff year like last year probably.

Since LeBron James is the Cavs offensive, it's easy to get deluded. And even with the knowledge that the Cavs offensive were flawed, I'm guessing people thought LeBron James was good enough to make up for it. When the Celts stopped LeBron, people got to see what the Cavs offensive were really like and were puzzled by it. You could tell by the press conference that they didn't really address Brown's offensive, they address whatever LeBron was ok with the elbow.

Even Charles Barkley, who thought the Cavs would sweep the Celts, was aware of the Cavs horrible offensive since he constantly said that the Cavs do a 1 on 5 offensive game with LeBron. So, people thought the Celts weren't good enough to take advantage of the Cavs weakness. The Magic is a different story.

The Cavs vs Celts series was a slap back to reality for people who ignored the Cavs flaws I guess. Even people who did watch the Cavs regularly on the board did comment on Mike Brown's bad offensive teamplay, but LeBron always made up for it. This time he didn't when the expectations were high for them and they were facing a good team, they got exposed big time.
Micku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #146
dutchguy
uses velcro

dutchguy has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micku
The Cavs vs Celts series was a slap back to reality for people who ignored the Cavs flaws I guess. Even people who did watch the Cavs regularly on the board did comment on Mike Brown's bad offensive teamplay, but LeBron always made up for it. This time he didn't when the expectations were high for them and they were facing a good team, they got exposed big time.

agreed
dutchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #147
GiveItToBurrito

It's simple - Jamison and Shaq. Jamison was used wrong in Cleveland, you need to post him and let him cut off the ball for layups. He can hit threes, but he's not really great at it and it's wrong to treat him like a stretch four. He's also short and can't contest Garnett's shots, since KG is longer, more athletic, and about five or six inches taller. Shaq's turnover prone, a huge liability on defense, and not that effective when he's being guarded by someone like Perkins who can't be steamrolled. Also, as a pair, they're fairly slow on defense, which opens up drive and dish opportunities.

I'm convinced that Cleveland would have been better off and maybe even would have won if they'd been playing Varejao instead of Shaq and giving more of Jamison's minutes to Hickson. Actually, Jamison as a sixth man would have been perfect for them.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #148
GiveItToBurrito

Also, the Cavs offense wasn't that horrible, I think Boston's defense was very good and their offense was abnormally good. Cleveland's defense is what really cost them the series, these games should have all been like 95 - 87.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #149
mans1ay3r
Local High School Star

mans1ay3r has an OK reputation so far

Did anyone mention that.. the Celtics are healthy? They were only the 4th seed because of injuries and being unhealthy. Garnett was coming off major injury, then re-injured the knee, Pierce got injured, Tony Allen came off major knee injury, Baby cme off major thumb injury.. Going back to Pierce, he was injured and was playing before he was ready and it hurt the team more than anything.. he tried to be Kobe playing with injury, but he aint no Kobe.

A lot of people are pointing fingers at Shaq and Jamison. They had Shaq all year, and Jamison since ?February?.. Cavs were still number 1.. they still had the best record in the league. I see more "Cavs hurt themselves" than the Celtics played excellent. But I know that's directly due to the Celtics being unhealthy all year. So everyone thought they were old and washed up and Cavs were going to roll by them. I guess no one watched the Heat-Celtics season because the C's looked great, best I've seen them all year (including game 1 of the season when they beat the Cavs and Garnett was barely jumping off the ground.) Only reason they didn't sweep Heat is because D. Wade had to go super saiyan in that one game. People were expecting the washed up Celtics to lose one or two games to the Heat but lose in the second round.

I say Shaq hurt the Cavs, and Jamison couldn't handle Garnett. People are saying Jamison as if he's a bad player. He's good, and on the Cavs, but couldnt stop the opposing player. But because he is new, suddenly he's not a Cav but the "new addition to the team" rather than the guy that played pretty well the rest of the season. Got to love how easy fans turn.

But there isn't enough credit being given to the Celtics, they are healthy now, and amusingly, Paul Pierce isn't even playing well. Think if Pierce comes back in the Magic series..?
I only added in that last line about the Magic because I still see people talking about the Celtics like they are the same unhealthy team that lost 3/4 games to the Magic during the season.
mans1ay3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #150
ispin69
Banned

ispin69 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryispin69 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryispin69 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Cause the Refs and David Stern wanted Boston to go to the finals.
ispin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: