Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 11-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Shannon Brown, Daniel Gibson

Anyone wanna speculate as to why Mike Brown isn't playing them?

Supposedly Shannon Brown was a steal where he was at, and Daniel Gibson was supposed to be a 1st rounder.

We have almost nothing to show for our off season except resigning Gooden, who has always been inconsistent and therefore questionable, signing David Wesley, who is shooting .083 (yes that's .083, not .83 he's literally made 1 out of his 12 shots taken) percent from the field, and was talking retirement before we signed him, and letting Flip Murray get away to Detroit, who was a pretty good bench scorer.

So as a Cleveland native (technically I'm in a suburb now, but I grew up there and lived around there my whole life) I want to know why my team isn't improving? If these draft choices don't do something, this off season is officially a bust, unless Gooden turns into an All-Star.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Gibson was in earlier this season, and Brown saw some PT in garbage time against the Bulls. I THINK Brown was hurt earlier this season because he was in street clothes for a game or two. The reason they're not playing though i think is because the Cavs keep ending up in close games that come down to the wire and that's not the type of situation where you play rookies. We'll be seeing more of them sooner or later though, especially Brown.

And where in NE Ohio are you from?
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Gibson was in earlier this season, and Brown saw some PT in garbage time against the Bulls. I THINK Brown was hurt earlier this season because he was in street clothes for a game or two. The reason they're not playing though i think is because the Cavs keep ending up in close games that come down to the wire and that's not the type of situation where you play rookies. We'll be seeing more of them sooner or later though, especially Brown.

And where in NE Ohio are you from?

I'm in Lorain, my sister lives in Cleveland and I'll be moving back after the new year.

Brown needs to start playing them early in the game. It's too early in his coaching career to tell what he's going to do, but so far I think this approach is a horrible way to develop rookies.

This is the time of year to play them, right away before we get into a playoff hunt and we don't know what we're going to get from them. They need to get in early in the games, and see what they can do and then if they don't respond, get them out.

Gibson hasn't played since the preseason, and Brown has played a total of 10 minutes over 2 games.

With the Cavs down by 17 here in the 3rd quarter against Boston, I don't see either of them playing in this game either unless Brown gives up on it.

Gooden has played well so far this season, but he started out strong last season too, and then disappeared.

Mathius
Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
nawsanenawmean
I brick open layups

nawsanenawmean has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, I wanna see them get some real minutes. Our bench is pretty weak, but at least Sasha Pavlovic is starting to prove that he can be a real key off the bench. His offensive spark is a real boost and defensively he is actually looking pretty all right. So he'll be getting plenty of minutes now. Don't worry though, we'll start seeing the rooks soon enough.
nawsanenawmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
Mathius

Ok, I'm watching the Portland game and David Wesley just dribbled the ball off his own foot and the defender took it all the way for a jam. He's starting the season 1-13.

Why can't we give his 10+ minutes per game to Shannon Brown?

Apparently Mike Brown thinks Sasha is the answer to Flip Murray, because he's been splitting the time at 2 behind Larry with Damon Jones. Aside from what he did at boston with a respectable 14 points, none of our backups have impressed me this season, including Donyell Marshall, who supposedly is in the best shape of his career.

Mathius
Old 11-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Cavs2007Champs
Common-sense Cavs Fan

Cavs2007Champs has decent reputation

It was said in an article that Mike Brown isn't high on rookies, so that has one thing to do with them not getting any playing time.

And like stated above, we've been in close games, and that's not the ideal time to play a rookie.

I agree that Wesley's minutes could be given to someone else, and same goes when Damon is shooting horrible, just take him out and throw in Gibson or Brown.

But we are only 10 games into the season, There are 70 games for both of them 2 get some PT, they'll see it, wait for an injury or 2 to happen, like Hughes ankle sprain, and then give a night where no one on the bench is doing a damn thing.

the Portland game Gibson should have received some time, they were up 18, and he still has LeBron playing, he needs 2 rest lebron like he said he would, and try to give PT to Gibson and Brown when they are blowing teams out. You can always throw lebron in the game and get back in it.
Cavs2007Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs2007Champs
It was said in an article that Mike Brown isn't high on rookies, so that has one thing to do with them not getting any playing time.

And like stated above, we've been in close games, and that's not the ideal time to play a rookie.

I agree that Wesley's minutes could be given to someone else, and same goes when Damon is shooting horrible, just take him out and throw in Gibson or Brown.

But we are only 10 games into the season, There are 70 games for both of them 2 get some PT, they'll see it, wait for an injury or 2 to happen, like Hughes ankle sprain, and then give a night where no one on the bench is doing a damn thing.

the Portland game Gibson should have received some time, they were up 18, and he still has LeBron playing, he needs 2 rest lebron like he said he would, and try to give PT to Gibson and Brown when they are blowing teams out. You can always throw lebron in the game and get back in it.

I'm not a fan of Mike Brown. I'm really not. I really wish they hadn't extended his contract after only one successful season.

They abandoned their offense in the second half of almost every game in the playoff's last year. An idiot could have given Lebron the ball and let him run the offense and that's all Brown did.

It's ignorant not to play talent just because they're inexperienced.

This is the time he should be giving to rookies, because if they don't perform, we need to know NOW, not when we're fighting for a playoff spot and someone goes down hurt.

And what is the point of putting Gibson in, with 1 minute left in the Portland game anyways? What the heck is that supposed to prove? The poor guy made the most of it, making an assist to Sasha for 3,b ut what's he supposed to do in 1 minute of action?

And I agree Lebron needs a rest, but some people just aren't smart enough to realize it. He averaged 47 minutes a game or something outrageous like that in the playoff's last year, spent a good portion of his summer playing USA basketball, and now he's still averaging 40 minutes per game this early in the season and almost every game has been close. If we don't get him some rest now, he's going to get injured.

Mathius
Old 11-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
Mathius

Nice to see that Mike Brown finally pulled his head out of his ass and started playing Gibson. I for one think he's responded nicely. He threw down a nice dunk on Al Harrington, and followed up with a 3 in the pacers game.

Now if only we could get to see what we invested a first round pick in. It's f'ed up that he's playing Gibson before giving Brown a chance, especially with Wesley and DJ screwing things up so much at the 2 spot.

Mathius
Old 11-27-2006, 01:38 AM   #9
nawsanenawmean
I brick open layups

I love what I see in Gibson. A small, very fast, play making PG is what we want! And he can knock down the shot and handle the ball extremely well. A TJ Ford, a Chris Paul. That's the kind of PG I would love to see starting, and I hope very soon, Gibson does start.

What was up with Coach Brown giving Shannon Brown the start the other night? Maybe to motivate him a bit? Get the shakes out of his system? Who knows. That kind of came out of left field. I thought it would be Snow and Gibson or Gibson and Sasha starting. I like Shannon Brown, but to throw him into the starting lineup like that was strange. And then, I believe Gibson gets a DNP that game? After he played quite a bit the game before...
Old 11-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #10
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawsanenawmean
I love what I see in Gibson. A small, very fast, play making PG is what we want! And he can knock down the shot and handle the ball extremely well. A TJ Ford, a Chris Paul. That's the kind of PG I would love to see starting, and I hope very soon, Gibson does start.

What was up with Coach Brown giving Shannon Brown the start the other night? Maybe to motivate him a bit? Get the shakes out of his system? Who knows. That kind of came out of left field. I thought it would be Snow and Gibson or Gibson and Sasha starting. I like Shannon Brown, but to throw him into the starting lineup like that was strange. And then, I believe Gibson gets a DNP that game? After he played quite a bit the game before...

I really don't care for Coach Brown, and I'm liking him less and less as this season unfolds.

The official reason for Brown's start was to "mix things up" because the Cavs have been playing so bad. But 7 minutes into the game, he went right back to the same lineups he's been using, and Shannon didn't come back until the second half.

He was something like 0-8 from the field and 1/4 from the free throw line.

But what the hell? He didn't even play the two games before this, and averaged 5.8 minutes per game. How can you throw someone into the starting lineup after that? Is that how you develop a rookie?

If he wanted to shake up he lineup, I'd rather see him start Ira Newble than ruin one of our rookies this way. How bad will that shake your confidence in your first NBA start, 1 point on a free throw.

EDIT: According to the Cavs website, Shannon Brown just had surgery to remove an ingrown toenail and is listed as "probable" against the Knicks, and is still listed in the starting lineup.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 11-27-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:46 PM   #11
Mathius

Again, I found this on the Cavs website, linked to the "Media Gazette" (pretty far away for a source, Medina's like an hour from downtown Cleveland)...

Shannon Brown will start against the Knicks.

Here's more on Coach Brown's thought process. (or lack of)

http://medina-gazette.com/Articles.asp?num=59459376

Mathius
Old 11-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
bruzzes
I brick open layups

bruzzes has an OK reputation so far

Well we all know the Cavs have the worst PG situation in the NBA.

Gibson and Shannon will play because Coach Brown has no other option.

Rookies always show uneven performances.

If the Rooks aren't the answer, we will have to make some type of trade...probably after the first of the year.
bruzzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruzzes
Well we all know the Cavs have the worst PG situation in the NBA.

Gibson and Shannon will play because Coach Brown has no other option.

Rookies always show uneven performances.

If the Rooks aren't the answer, we will have to make some type of trade...probably after the first of the year.

I don't have your faith in Mike Brown. Witness another loss to a crappy team (the Knicks). The guy is an awful coach. The Cavs play like **** against horrible teams and play well against tough ones. That makes no sense at all.

At least Shannon Brown had good numbers in his second start.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 11-29-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #14
nawsanenawmean
I brick open layups

Shannon looked real sharp. I think he should have played more than 12 minutes though. Geez.

I'm so sick of seeing Snow run the offense. I'd like to see Gibson some more. 42 minutes tonight for Snow? Gimme a ****ing break Coach Brown.

Last edited by nawsanenawmean : 11-29-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #15
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawsanenawmean
Shannon looked real sharp. I think he should have played more than 12 minutes though. Geez.

I'm so sick of seeing Snow run the offense. I'd like to see Gibson some more. 42 minutes tonight for Snow? Gimme a ****ing break Coach Brown.

There's some idiot on the NBA forum saying Mike Brown is a good coach who makes the most of his personnel.

Mathius
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: