Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Atlanta Hawks Forum

Atlanta Hawks Forum Atlanta Hawks message board - atlanta hawks fan forum

Old 05-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Breaking News: Mike Woodson gone

he's ok coach, but he simply has to go now. maybe come back later
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Breaking News: Mike Woodson gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
I will make an avatar bet with anyone that we win 50+ next year.

I have nothing against the Hawks, I just see their flaws, and realize that JJ was the glue that kept that team from coming apart. Bibby is done for, and was essentially splitting time at PG with Crawford this year. Crawford is a good scorer, but that's it. His chucking at the SG spot will lose you more games than it wins over the course of a season (as a starter). Josh Smith is a wild card, who knows what he's going to do. I'm guessing some trade demands are coming soon. Marvin is trash, and Horford is a good PF, who is forced to play C.

If they bring in a legit coach ($$$), they could be a playoff team next year... but not a top 4 seed. I don't see the owner spending money to bring in any bigtime free agents, and even the midlevel guys are going to cost a fortune this offseason with so many teams holding tons of capspace.

Hawks win 50 games next year?!

I'll take that bet.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #18
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Hawks officially say goodbye to Mike Woodson

Woodson isn't a very good coach, but I love how every fanbase that's dissatisfied with their coach without fail calls him the "worst coach in the league."
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #19
Hawksauce
1/2 Court Trap or Die

Hawksauce has decent reputation

I'm sure he'll get another gig. He might end up in Chicago who knows. The guy has definitely done all he can with this team and one things for sure, he'll be leaving it in better shape for the next coach than when he first came to Atlanta. Even despite the horrible turn of playoff events.

Rather than good riddance, I'll say good luck to Woodson. I'm grateful for the improvement that's been made over the past few seasons, but it's definitely time for a change.... Peace sign up, A-town down sir.
Hawksauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

tontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputationtontoz has a terrific reputation

This was long overdue. Casual fans can see that the Hawks offense sucks but there is a lot more going on.

The Hawks switching defense causes them even more problems. A smart team can repeatedly take advantage of mismatches when their best guards are matched up with our 4/5. Plus having our bigs on the perimeter so much kills the Hawks defensive rebounding. Of course their lack of boxing out doesn't help.

Woodson refused to tell Smith to stop shooting 3s for all those years. It was Smith that finally decided on his own to stop shooting them. However Smith is still leading the fast break far too often, mostly resulting in blown opportunities.

I am glad he is gone but i wonder if it isn't too little too late. If JJ leaves the Hawks could easily have a losing record next year.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #21
hawksdogsbraves
Child, please

hawksdogsbraves is considered somewhat coolhawksdogsbraves is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Woodson isn't a very good coach, but I love how every fanbase that's dissatisfied with their coach without fail calls him the "worst coach in the league."

Woodson really was the worst coach in the league. I know that Cavs fans and Heat fans say that they have the worst coach, but Woodson really, truly is (was) the worst one of all.

I'm going to throw in a quote here because I just hate Woodson.

“I’m a defensive guy and I think offense takes care of itself. We will figure out the offense, but I just came off a championship season with a team that played defense. And defense proved this year that it can win a championship. Most championship teams that I’ve seen, over the course of my playing and coaching, they play defense."

hawksdogsbraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #22
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool

Hawks need to get Avery Johnson
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #23
hawksdogsbraves
Child, please

hawksdogsbraves is considered somewhat coolhawksdogsbraves is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Zero
Hawks need to get Avery Johnson

Oh god no...
Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #24
CLTHornets4eva
Original ISH CLTHornet

CLTHornets4eva is a pretty well-respected posterCLTHornets4eva is a pretty well-respected posterCLTHornets4eva is a pretty well-respected poster

Did y'all know that Woodson is the only coach to ever improve a teams record every year for five years and be fired.
... That being said, Woodson sucks. I think Atlanta should go after Thibodeaux. He doesn't fit the Hawks style as it is now, but I think the Hawks might need to reevaluate. Thibodeaux is the best available coach, with Doug Collins a distant second.
CLTHornets4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #25
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan has not been impressing people

The problem Hawks management has is that they are not willing to spend a lot of money, so it will real hard to get an A level coach.

Woodson was fine with what he had to work with.

If Marvin Williams had done something in the Magic series - anything - the last game he had 2 points in 23 minutes and his defense was worse - at least some of the games would have been closer.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #26
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

I predict Mo Cheeks will be the coach.
G-train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #27
CLTHornets4eva
Original ISH CLTHornet

CLTHornets4eva is a pretty well-respected posterCLTHornets4eva is a pretty well-respected posterCLTHornets4eva is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
The problem Hawks management has is that they are not willing to spend a lot of money, so it will real hard to get an A level coach.

Woodson was fine with what he had to work with.

If Marvin Williams had done something in the Magic series - anything - the last game he had 2 points in 23 minutes and his defense was worse - at least some of the games would have been closer.

Sure blame Marvin Williams the 6th best player on the team. Joe Johnson was 17 of 57 and never scored 20 points.

Woodson had something to work with, but how many times was his play call "iso Joe"? Hawks were the 27th most efficient team out of a time out-- that is all coaching.
CLTHornets4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #28
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTHornets4eva
Sure blame Marvin Williams the 6th best player on the team. Joe Johnson was 17 of 57 and never scored 20 points.

Woodson had something to work with, but how many times was his play call "iso Joe"? Hawks were the 27th most efficient team out of a time out-- that is all coaching.

You think I'm a JJ fan?
Ask other posters who read my posts regularly what I think the Hawks should do with JJ.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #29
L.A. Jazz
enjoy '13,hope for '14

L.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected posterL.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected posterL.A. Jazz is a pretty well-respected poster

did they really quite on the coach in the Orlando series?
they looked the same in the first round but the Bucks were short handed and not firing on all guns team like the Magic. they would have lost if Bogut was healthy.
so they are by far not capable of anything in the playoffs.
L.A. Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #30
hawksdogsbraves
Child, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
did they really quite on the coach in the Orlando series?
they looked the same in the first round but the Bucks were short handed and not firing on all guns team like the Magic. they would have lost if Bogut was healthy.
so they are by far not capable of anything in the playoffs.

It isn't for lack of talent though. We should have swept the Bucks with or without Bogut and then should have taken the Magic to 6 or 7 games. It was coaching, and the lack of motivation that came with it, that held us back.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: