Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Given up on abs.

I was at one time a very skinny and very athletic kid. I'm 19 now and while i'm still young, and fairly athletic, i'm definitely not skinny. So, in October I made the decision that i'm gonna work myself into shape. Everyday I went to the gym, ran 2 miles on the treadmill, did another mile on the step machine, and did 100 situps.. all of this in combination with cutting out all deserts from my diet and changing them to fruits, eating salad every meal, and refraining from in between meal and late night snacks. I did this for about 4 weeks and what was the result? I lost 3 pounds, still no abs, shown slight but not much of an improvement in stamina, and still not skinnier.. so basically, i give up.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
SmokyMcNasty
I hit open 5-footers

SmokyMcNasty has an OK reputation so far

Treadmills and step machines are all cardiovascular. Nothing to do with abs. Doing 100 situps is good, but you aren't going to go from beer-gut to six-pack abs in just 4 weeks, bro. Sometimes, you have to find the right diet. You might be cutting back on deserts and snacks, but have you cut back on foods high in carbohydrates? Bread, pasta, rice, all that shyt got mad carbs. It could have something to do with your lack-of-results..

I have a similar weight problem, except it's the opposite.. I can't seem to add any weight even if I tried!

Last edited by SmokyMcNasty : 11-11-2006 at 06:11 PM.
SmokyMcNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

who the hell cares about having abs? abs are mostly about diet and genetics. the point is to get healthy and in shape, which you are, so don't stop just caue you aren't getting a visual result.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I was told that everyone has abs, and that they aren't shown on some because they are covered by fat. And.. I know it's good to be healthy and continue with it, but also, doing that exercise always made my body feel tired so it's hard to continue without a visual result.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Nowitzki41MFFL

you must lose the fat too see the abs
Old 11-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

I realize that. What i'm saying is that I spent a 4 week span of eating pure healthy foods and exercising literally 2-3 hours every day, and didn't see any results at all.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
MoPet24
I hit open layups

MoPet24 has an OK reputation so far

Try not to eat anything with sugar. That's important to remember if you want hard rock abs. Also cut down on all deserts, fried foods, chips and anything with carbs like the post a few above. Eat more fruits and veggies instead of larger meals. Never eat fast foods. Try not to drink fruit juice as they are filled with sugar. Unless it's homemade. Always drink water. Also do about 100 push ups and 100 situps a day. You'll feel your body change very quickly. Need more advice than let me know as i am a workout-aholic.
MoPet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A lot of it does just depend on the person. I have nice abs and i eat nothing but junk and rarely work out. Some people have good genetics and some don't. I know people who work out every day, do hundreds of crunches and still don't get abs
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

Yeah, fruit juices are one thing that I haven't cut out of my diet. I did cut out fried foods, and started to eat smaller portions on meals, fruits and vegetables. And, after I do a lot of situps, I definitely feel a difference, but I don't see one/
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
MoPet24
I hit open layups

MoPet24 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
A lot of it does just depend on the person. I have nice abs and i eat nothing but junk and rarely work out. Some people have good genetics and some don't. I know people who work out every day, do hundreds of crunches and still don't get abs

True. It varies with people's genetics. You could try hard to get abs by doing every little thing there is to do but you don't see much of the results.
MoPet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
Ghost_Delay
Decent playground baller

Ghost_Delay has an OK reputation so far

Try actually enjoying working out, if you're going to wonder all the time why you're not being awarded for your effort at once, you're bound to be frustrated.

Also: you said you wanted to get yourself into shape, which is what you're doing. You shouldn't be focussing on your abs so much. If you do want improvement right now, do about 75 crunches 3 times a day.

About diets: a lot of it can depend on what kind of metabolism someone has.
Changing that will take some time. Ideally, you will burn energy & consequently fat a lot faster, without putting in so much effort. Try to eat more small meals to keep the engine running & drink a glass of water before meals.

Last but not least, I like to keep track of the times I'm running on 2 miles, 4 miles etc..You'll draw motivation from seeing your times improve every week.

Good luck.
Ghost_Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #12
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation

you don't see abs, but do you see that your stomach has slimmed down? Because if it has, then you should keep continue to do what you do.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:46 AM   #13
Inspector Rick
Great young streetballer

Inspector Rick has an OK reputation so far

I thought this thread was about abbs the Laker fan....lol
Inspector Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #14
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

You said you only ran for 2 miles, they say you really start burning fat after the 20 minute mark for running. Also throw some light weights in their, and be patient.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:37 AM   #15
bokes15
Playoffs!

I'm not big on fitness so 2 miles is actually quite hard for me and it leaves me exhausted. I have noticed that my stomach has slimmed down slightly though not much. I think that I definitely feel the results more than I see them as in, I can feel that my abdominal muscles are getting stronger. But hearing that genetics thing only discourages me more.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: