Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #31
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mock draft game (vote for each pick)

Turner-6
Favors-1

I'm leaving this one open for the night and maybe some tomorrow. See if anyone votes for Cousins, more votes for Favors, and plus I'd like to see the OG of the Sixers forum artificial in on the vote. I sent him a PM.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #32
plowking
lifelong rockets fan

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kinda off topic, but can someone explain to me why Wes Johnson is rated so much better than Damion James and Paul George?
plowking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #33
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Kinda off topic, but can someone explain to me why Wes Johnson is rated so much better than Damion James and Paul George?
I haven't seen a day of Paul George, but I've seen plenty of James. And the big difference is polish. Damion James looks clueless at times, doesn't understand game situations, tries to force the issue when there's no need to...he really doesn't have an understanding of how to play. If you watch him and no one tells you he's a senior your reaction is "wow this kid will be good in a couple years" then upon hearing his age you say "what? and he's playing like this?". Wesley is much more advanced in his bball IQ. James gets by way too much on his athleticism. Wesley really did look like a guy who was much more advanced in the understanding of the game than the other players on the floor. Wesley also has an ability to create his own shot much more easily than James. I'd expect James to ride the bench for a long time. Wes will be a 23 year old rookie making rookie mistakes. Damion will be a 23 year old rookie making 19 year old mistakes.

Now George...he's kind of a mystery guy.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #34
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Paul George could have the most upside out of the three. He's only 20, while the other two are 22 or 23. Which means James and Johnson are already close to their physical peaks and performance ceilings (once they get some experience in the league).

I really wasn't even aware of who Paul George was until I heard he declared for the draft. James is very solidly built (6'8" 225), and out of the three, is the most capable of mixing things up in the paint. He's so inconsistent though. I've probably watched close to 20 Texas games the last 3 or 4 years, and there were some games where James just blew me away with an incredibly dominating all-around game. There were others where you barely knew he was on the floor. I would understand that more if I had only seen him play 4 or 5 times, but seeing him 20ish times, I'd say he had what you could classify as good to great games 12-15 times and the rest he just blended in way too much.

I don't remember Wesley Johnson at Iowa, at all. To me, he broke onto the scene out of nowhere this year. He just seems to have much more savvy, confidence, a little swagger, and a better IQ than James. I could see him being a Joe Johnson type player. Someone who quietly impacts games in 3 or 4 areas. He could step in and be close to a 20/5/5 guy as a rookie, but he may never be more than a 24/6/6 guy-the latter is still really good, but I don't htink you are going to see huge leaps and bounds of improvement during his career.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 AM   #35
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

With the 2nd pick, the 76ers select Tiny Gallon from OU just due to his chill name.

Nah Evan Turner of course.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #36
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm gonna go with Evan Turner.

It gives the Sixers a bit of breathing room on what they want to do with Iggy/Young. They could either trade for a big plus a pick, or they can play a rotation of the 3, which would be pretty damn impressive.

This draft does have talented big men quite far down, so the possibility of trading for a player plus a pick later in the draft to bring in some extra talent, isn't out of the question.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #37
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Vote will be open until noon EST then will get on to the Nets pick. That should be interesting, could go about 5 different ways.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #38
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Turner-6
Favors-1

I'm leaving this one open for the night and maybe some tomorrow. See if anyone votes for Cousins, more votes for Favors, and plus I'd like to see the OG of the Sixers forum artificial in on the vote. I sent him a PM.
Got it, and appreciate it

First things first: my pick for Philly is Evan Turner.

I was really frustrated because it was looking like we were going to draft in the 4~10 range, and the likely candidates at those positions are all SF/PF/C's. Coming into this draft, I saw SG as Sixers' biggest need, and therefore my frustration. I literally went for a drink when I found out about the #2 pick. In a way Turner was the player I wanted most in this draft -not saying I'd take him over Wall, but I simply thought of him as a better fit-.

Sixers have SF/PF positions filled with Iggy, Brand, Young, Speights. Smith and Dalembert aren't exactly locks at C, but it does make the C a non-top priority for next season.

Iguodala made it clear this season that he is not a SG. Starting him and Young didn't go as well as I envisioned. So start Iggy at SF and bring off Young from the bench -he is a nice comodity given he can play both forward positions for stretches-. Jrue won't be an all-star PG any time soon, but as GOBB mentioned he gets the job done, plus the keyword with him was "potential" and he is coming off nicely.

Just to add perspective, a concern with Turner would be if he -as Iggy- is more comfortable at SF rather than at SG. That would create a horrible logjam in the forward positions. One of Turner's biggest strengths is his rebounding (for a wing). Besides, his 3-point shot isn't something to brag about at this point.

However, if Turner's ability to create his own shot succesfully translates to the NBA level, I think Iggy will complement him very nicely. And a Jrue - Turner backcourt should be great on the defensive end, plus Evan is a nice ball handler. His overall skill level is great, making me optimistic about him playing SG.

Damn, I've already said this a few times since yesterday, but it's been a while since being a 76er fan felt this good.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #39
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Artificial's vote was what I was waiting for. People can still speak on what the Sixers should do at #2 but we can move on to voting for #3. I'll post a thread in the NJ team forum.

PHP Code:
Washington Wizards- John Wall
Philadelphia 76ers
- Evan Turner
New Jersey Nets-
Minnesota Timberwolves-
Sacramento Kings-
Golden State Warriors-
Detroit Pistons-
LA Clippers-
Utah Jazz-
Indiana Pacers-
New
Orleans Hornets-
Memphis Grizzlies-
Toronto Raptors-
Houston Rockets-
Milwaukee Bucks-
Minnesota Timberwolves-
Chicago Bulls-
Miami Heat-
Boston Celtics-
SA Spurs-
OKC Thunder-
Portland TrailBlazers-
Minnesota Timberwolves
Atlanta Hawks
-
Memphis Grizzlies-
OKC Thunder-
NJ Nets-
Memphis Grizzlies-
Orlando Magic-
Washington Wizards-

NEW JERSEY NETS ON THE CLOCK

Last edited by Posterize246 : 05-19-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #40
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

This is where we're going to see some variation in picks. New Jersey could go so many different ways with this pick. Cousins, Aminu, Monroe, Johnson, Favors....it wouldn't shock me to see them pick any of these.

From what I can see, NJ's biggest assets moving forward are Brook Lopez, Terrence Williams, Courtney Lee, and CDR. Those are the guys I see them building their core around. Devin Harris should be used as a trading piece if you can get something good for him. And with that the Nets will go back to the Big East and select Greg Monroe, Georgetown University. There isn't a better passing big man in this draft, not even close. And a high-low offense with Monroe and Lopez would be ideal. New Jersey was dead last in the NBA in assists per game last season. Greg Monroe is someone who can get that ball moving more swiftly, hit cutters to the bucket for easy points, and score 10-12 of his own as a rookie. My major downside with picking Favors or Cousins is you're going to have to camp their ass down by the bucket, while Monroe can play in both the high and low post and give more room for cutters and for Lopez.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #41
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

As much as I like Monroe, Thorn always goes for the best player available and that'll be Cousins or Favors. I'm going to go with he likes Favors better since he rates athleticism at the top (I don't think we've taken an unathletic player in the first round since Nenad in '02) of his list and after Sean Williams he doesn't want another basket case like Cousins may be.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #42
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
As much as I like Monroe, Thorn always goes for the best player available and that'll be Cousins or Favors. I'm going to go with he likes Favors better since he rates athleticism at the top (I don't think we've taken an unathletic player in the first round since Nenad in '02) of his list and after Sean Williams he doesn't want another basket case like Cousins may be.
Is that the pick you want or the pick you think they would do? Remember to base decisions purely off of what you think they should do. If that's Favors then I'll mark it down.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #43
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I know its not a lot to work with but why aren't more people taking into account the 1 time most all of these top guys were on the floor together- last years hoop summit showed clearly that motiejunas, wall, and avery bradley were much farther ahead than favors or cousins- the nets pick has to be motiejunas or bradley
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #44
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Is that the pick you want or the pick you think they would do? Remember to base decisions purely off of what you think they should do. If that's Favors then I'll mark it down.

Fair enough, it'll be Favors anyway. As much as I think Demarcus will end up the better player, I think it's better for us to get back into a running game like we did in the early 2000s. Favors is better for that and doesn't come with the baggage that Demarcus has.

As much as I'd like to see Monroe a Net, it's way too much of a reach. His jump between freshman to sophomore year was not impressive and my initial projections of him becoming an elite level big seriously died down. Besides we already have one finesse big (Brook) and I think it's about time we added power and a guy willing to crash the boards.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #45
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Monroe-1
Favors-1
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: