Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Default hawks looking at avery johnson

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=5194228

Quote:
Former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson will receive the first interview to fill the Atlanta Hawks' coaching vacancy, according to NBA coaching sources.

Current Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey will also interview for the Hawks' job in the next few days, sources said.

Atlanta announced Friday that Mike Woodson would not be offered a new contract after a six-season run.

Johnson, an NBA analyst for ESPN, has already interviewed with the Philadelphia 76ers and his hometown New Orleans Hornets in recent weeks.

The Hawks, sources said, requested and received permission from the Mavericks over the weekend to meet with Casey.

Utah Jazz assistant coach Tyrone Corbin and Phoenix Suns assistant Dan Majerle are also on the Hawks' list, sources said.

Casey is widely regarded in league coaching circles as the favorite for the Atlanta job because of his long-standing relationship with Hawks general manager Rick Sund, but he has also been mentioned as a top contender for the Los Angeles Clippers' opening and likewise interviewed for the Hornets' vacancy.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

Default Re: hawks looking at avery johnson

HylianNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Apocalyptic0n3
The End Is Near

Every team in the league not 100% satisfied with their coach (Spurs, Lakers, likely Suns, Magic, Thunder maybe, and Celtics) will give Johnson (and Scott and Frank) good, long looks. Those three are too good of coaches for them not to be looked at by the majority of the league.

Not saying they will get hired (I think Scott won't coach again until Jackson retires and Scott can return to LA), but they will all be considered at the very least.
Apocalyptic0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
kidachi

Avery....IDK... JVG Sux..

Paul Silas is good..

Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Kiddlovesnets
7-time NBA All-Star

Well I think AJ is a better coach than JVG, considering the Mavs trashed the Rockets in 2005. XD
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
CLTHornets4eva
Original ISH CLTHornet

I'd go:

1)Thibodeau 2)Silas 3) Collins

I forgot Silas. He would like to coach again, he was a great coach for the Hornets and was forced out by George Shinn due to a contract dispute. He lives outside Charlotte, so Atlanta is the next logical choice. I don't think he'd coach again unless it was a close city and Atlanta might be among the only cities he would coach in. ---I've been saying Thibodeau since Woodson's contract expired, but there is no way to determine if Sund is interested because it would be infringement if not tampering to discuss anything with him.
CLTHornets4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

Avery Johnson - please no!! His coaching in the Dallas-Miami Finals was just terrible.

Jeff Van Gundy - absolutely not. Horrible. Couldn't get Yao and T-Mac out of the first round. Guys won't respect him.

Out of this bunch listed, my preference would be Thunder Dan. I doubt know if Ty Corbin has enough experience, or whether he can run the Xs and Os well.

But my first choice is Larry Brown, because he would make the guys on the Hawks better. He would get a low post game out of Josh Smith. He would get Al Horford to improve his jump shot and passing. He would get Marvin Williams to improve his ball handling and outside shot.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Avery Johnson or Franks would be a better fit for the Bulls or 6'ers.

Both those teams need a coach that can control shit.

As for Van Gundy - no way will he coach again... looking at his body language Sunday - he was guiding his announcer buddy about aspects of the game more than ever. (Mark Jackson will hav a gig 2010/11)

IF Van Gundy were to go back into coaching you will see a monster contract for a coach.... (that is the only way he gets back in)

Last edited by Jasper : 05-17-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
Locked_Up_Tonight
National High School Star

I doubt Avery goes there. Avery wants a superstar already in place. A team like NO (Paul) would be more to his ideal situation.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
CLTHornets4eva
Original ISH CLTHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
Avery Johnson - please no!! His coaching in the Dallas-Miami Finals was just terrible.

Jeff Van Gundy - absolutely not. Horrible. Couldn't get Yao and T-Mac out of the first round. Guys won't respect him.

Out of this bunch listed, my preference would be Thunder Dan. I doubt know if Ty Corbin has enough experience, or whether he can run the Xs and Os well.

But my first choice is Larry Brown, because he would make the guys on the Hawks better. He would get a low post game out of Josh Smith. He would get Al Horford to improve his jump shot and passing. He would get Marvin Williams to improve his ball handling and outside shot.

Larry Brown will either retire or return to Charlotte. He won't betray MJ to go to a Southeastern division team.
CLTHornets4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: