Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here
Default OT: What are your thoughts on people...

Who download ALL of their music and literally never buy a CD?

Keep in mind I'm not asking if you're for or against downloading or anything like that. I think it's safe to say most people on here download music. The thing that pisses me off is the kids whose music collections exist solely on their hard drives. What kind of **** is that? The worst part is when they'll go on and on praising an album or and artist, saying how amazing the music is. Yet they won't spend $13 to own the real thing and actually support the music they say they love?

Now, honestly, I download quite a fair bit of music. Whether it's something that's hit the internet early or just something I'm not familiar with, I get the most out of my downloads. But if it's something I end up truly enjoying, I always go buy a copy.

To me, people who do this are not fans at all. They clearly aren't very passionate about their music. I'm not trying to come off on some elitist bull**** here, but really, you're not a ****ing fan of any band/artist/group that you claim to love but only download.

There's a buddy of mine who's always been a good friend, but he does this religiously and it irks me to no end. This guy claims to love his music, yet he hasn't bought a single CD since the mp3 explosion. On top of that, he doesn't even buy merch or go to shows of artists he "likes". What the ****?

Finally, people who do this prove how little they value music by having everything on their HD's/burned CD's. I've never seen a hard drive last over a decade, and burned CD's deteriorate over time as well. When you buy the real thing, you know it'll be there for years and years to come, which is a mighty good feeling.

I ranted quite a bit, sorry.. I just find it frustrating. What are your thoughts?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I dont think ive bought a new album since like 2002 and dont care in the least if I deny Nas his tiny percent of his own album sale profits.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't pay money for anything, unless I have to.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

I buy CDs only because I can't hook up my MP3 player to my car. I download music as well and I don't see a real problem with either one. 1) You're saving money and 2) I don't think the artist really cares if he's denyed a small portion of his sales, unless you're Ron Artest.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Terp #33
I airball my layups

Terp #33 has an OK reputation so far

I have a rule if I like several songs on one cd then I will buy it, otherwise I will download songs off the internet with no problem.
Terp #33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re

no time to listen to music besides the radio.

besides, with youtube and free sharing of intellectual property (though it violates laws) is something that is commonplace now.

in the end, it boils down to:

Conservatism vs Liberalism

go figure.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

you're right but I don't care. Im too cheap to buy CDs. rather spend the money on other stuff. don't have a lot of money anyway.

the main reason you're right, which is one that you didn't go into, is that when you buy your music you enjoy it more. for example... I could download and listen to 5 albums tomorrow. and I probably wouldn't listen to any of them again because Id be getting 5 more albums the next day. when you go through the music like that, you don't value it. but when you spend 15 bucks on a CD, you're actually going to use it. you're going to milk it for all the enjoyment you can. and that way, you enjoy music more when you buy it.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Who download ALL of their music and literally never buy a CD?

I'm one of those people so clearly I'm fine with it. With the easy and very low-risk access to MP3's, there is little to no incentive ever purchase another CD again.

Quote:
To me, people who do this are not fans at all. They clearly aren't very passionate about their music. I'm not trying to come off on some elitist bull**** here, but really, you're not a ****ing fan of any band/artist/group that you claim to love but only download.
That is pretty much being an "elitist". I can be a huge fan of someone's music and downloading that doesn't change that. It just makes me an uncaring thief, something which I'm fine with in this case.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 11-11-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #9
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
I dont think ive bought a new album since like 2002 and dont care in the least if I deny Nas his tiny percent of his own album sale profits.

Nah, it has nothing to do with whether the artist truly needs it or not. I just feel that if you really enjoy the music they make, you would support them and show your approval.

How is it "daft" to go buy an album just because you can get it for free? You're missing my point entirely. I'd understand if it were something like a free TV, but this is someone's art. It's a shame you don't value your music more than you do, but I guess everyone's different.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
Nero
Great young streetballer

Nero has an OK reputation so far

People who buy CD's = stupid.
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #11
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

Game leaked his album. If he doesn't care, why should I?
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #12
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
I don't pay money for anything, unless I have to.

Before all this mp3 bull****, you HAD to own the albums from the artists you enjoyed.. (excluding dubbed tapes and all that)..

You only buy things that you need? What about treating yourself to something you simply want?

I'd love to hear other people's opinions on this...
Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #13
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
in the end, it boils down to:

Conservatism vs Liberalism

go figure.
no it doesn't. it boils down to saving money vs. being righteous. personally I save money. nobody, lib or con, actually believes you should get music for free whenever you want. they're just cheap and came up with a convenient excuse.

as I pointed out in my previous post, its not the artist who suffers. artists make like a buck per cd tops and mostly get rich from touring. the person who suffers is the listener because without paying they don't enjoy the music as much.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #14
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation

The last album I bought, was the backstreet boys' first album, and that was a while ago when i was a little kiddie.

I download all my albums now, i put it on my msn name, advertise @ school that I got an album which hasn't even hit stores yet, the people place their orders, i burn CDs, and sell them for a price range from 5-10 dollars.

I already got 2 guys that want 'Kingdom Come', i'm burning it tomorrow, when I see them @ school, 6 bucks from each, 'Kingdom Come' is yours.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #15
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

What pisses me off even more is people who like one song then go buy the whole cd......or download it
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: