Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Default So I was wrong..

And I'll gladly take my lumps for it.

It's no secret that I've argued for the current plan and we were pushing along it quite well up till tonight. Since '07 I've said that we should trade our best pieces for young talent, suck, and hopefully land the top pick. My stance was that being a mediocre team kills you in the NBA. You don't get superstar draft picks and you don't go further than the 2nd round. For me it's either competing in the ECF or competing for the top pick.

Come off season '09 we do that and everything was going according to plan. Even better than that. We were worse than anyone could possibly anticipate. I mean, we were bad. We re-defined bad. Worse part yet is that in our "badness" we also were a joke. We amalgamated both words and that would be the way we were. I guess its moot to tell Nets fans this.

Anyway, it all culminated to tonight. The entire plan hinged on getting that #1, at worst #2 pick. And boy did we not.

This.. is some real bullshit. And yes I'm saltier than beans right now.

And to the fans who didn't endorse this idea and argued against me, I'll take my lumps. I ****ed up.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Default Re: So I was wrong..

i see nothing wrong with the plan, other than perhaps the RJ trade. but consider how many things have gone right- the kidd trade, the lopez and anderson picks, the carter trade, the t-will pick, and getting the best shot at the #1 pick this year.

now we just keep moving along with the 3rd pick and 31st (IIRC) pick this year, another top pick next year, and now the richest owner in sports... meaning that for the first time in many years, thorn won't have to be watching every penny and losing out in bidding wars to teams willing to go over the cap. and then in two years, the nets move into one of the top facilities in the league in the biggest market in sports.

and with ratner as the owner, there was really never any choice about the plan either, once the recession hit. but finding prokhorov to take over and resurrect the brooklyn move was huge, and frankly an even bigger deal than snagging a number one pick while remaining in a crap facility in a crap location.

so let's not forget all the amazingly fortunate things that have happened for the nets recently.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Think positively.... It's been 7 years since the Nets had someone at PF who the could trust... Yi, collins, Moore. They shouldnt be starters in the League. Its hard to believe they started here.. how bad our frontline was.

Whether it is Favors or Cousins who knows? they are both big and good at rebounding not to mention young. Not the Key to a contender but extremely important for the Franchise.

Harris has a chance to redeem himself. going from allstar to a little above average... Can he score like how he once did? can he get his teamates involved a little more? Will he be determined to play D? who knows?

Terrence is also good. He can create for himself and does a lot more than score which is a very nice skill. the big Q is his position? PG, SG, SF? what. Hopefully he works on his J...

Lopez is already the real deal...nuff said.

Lee and Hayes are most likey(hopefully) done as starter. nice roleplayers for playoff teams but, players that may want mins here. who knows whats going to happen with them?
gigantes, we also have the Mavs pick. 27 i believe.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Yeah you guys bring up valid points to consider. I'm just salty at the moment.

We did come out of this with Brook and a ton of cap space. Terrence may be proven useful down the line as well. Devin, I think we need to let go before he has a Shaun Livingston like injury. I don't wish that on him, but the way he plays and how fragile he is, I'm very cautious.

Anyway, would anyone consider trading the 3rd pick and Harris for the 1st? I may be tempted to do that if the Wizards would consider it.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
taibien86
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Anyway, would anyone consider trading the 3rd pick and Harris for the 1st? I may be tempted to do that if the Wizards would consider it.

it's not happening. nets would do that in a heartbeat, wizards will say no. the only positive about this is that we won't see much of yi next year, assuming he is still a net.
taibien86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Well it is about luck, the Nets could've won this lottery and begun ranting the tank of last season. Its too early to draw a conclusion now.

But yeah, that RJ trade was just the dumbest ever in Rod Thorn's era. Cant believe how they would even do it, oh my headache...
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I don't think the RJ trade was bad. I think we're just too focused on the fact that we got Yi out of it (who I don't hate that much and think he can be productive off the bench). Lets be serious here, the main reason we did that trade was to get Bobby Simmon's fat contract. Remember, he was the Nets' top paid player this year at 11 mil so it was instrumental for us recieving as much capspace as we do now.

I mean would you guys rather have RJ than 11 dollars of cap space removed?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

umm I am not hating on Yi either, but the Nets could've got much better deal for another RJ trade. But I do agree with you that Simmons' contract is huge in making this decision...
Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

after a few beers and shots of patron, i realize that we have to just keep moving forward. I think that we all want instant success and we deserve instant success but we do have very good pieces to build around, and we may have not have gotten the #1 pick but let me tell u the Wizards are going to suck ass even with John Wall! they will never be a championship team in the near future, We on the other hand have the pieces to be a contender like prok said in 1-5 years. Who knows, sixers may not take turner and we get him at 3, if we dont then favors or cousins(still not sold on cousins) but the point has been made that we need a moose along side lopez and favors and cousins could be it. Free agency looks positive, and although we dont want to hear about 2011 right now...Carmelo Anthony will be a free agent and can possibly play with us

Also just a a reminder
Chris Paul #4 in the lotto
Deron Williams #3
Carmelo Anthony #3
Bosh#4
Wade #5
Baron Davis#3
Billups#3
Garnett#5

sure we dont have a#1 but #3 could be a superstar who knows? We have the best Center in the East remember that. If Favors even touches his potential of being the next stoudemire and dwight howard in a few years ur going to be saying John who?
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
after a few beers and shots of patron, i realize that we have to just keep moving forward. I think that we all want instant success and we deserve instant success but we do have very good pieces to build around, and we may have not have gotten the #1 pick but let me tell u the Wizards are going to suck ass even with John Wall! they will never be a championship team in the near future, We on the other hand have the pieces to be a contender like prok said in 1-5 years. Who knows, sixers may not take turner and we get him at 3, if we dont then favors or cousins(still not sold on cousins) but the point has been made that we need a moose along side lopez and favors and cousins could be it. Free agency looks positive, and although we dont want to hear about 2011 right now...Carmelo Anthony will be a free agent and can possibly play with us

Also just a a reminder
Deron Williams #3
Carmelo Anthony #3
Bosh#4
Wade #5
Baron Davis#3
Billups#3
Garnett#5

sure we dont have a#1 but #3 could be a superstar who knows? We have the best Center in the East remember that. If Favors even touches his potential of being the next stoudemire and dwight howard in a few years ur going to be saying John who?

Chris Paul/Deron: Those are steals 'cause the Bucks and Hawks were simply stupid...
Carmelo/Bosh/Wade: It was one of the best draft classes in NBA history, and also the Pistons picked Darko...
Baron Davis/Billups/Garnett: Come on, they were selected in 1990s...

So nope, I am not optimistic that this #3 pick will turn out to be a superstar, or maybe not even an allstar...
Old 05-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Yeah you guys bring up valid points to consider. I'm just salty at the moment.

We did come out of this with Brook and a ton of cap space. Terrence may be proven useful down the line as well. Devin, I think we need to let go before he has a Shaun Livingston like injury. I don't wish that on him, but the way he plays and how fragile he is, I'm very cautious.

Anyone but the Wizards... It's bad enough they have arenas. Wall is what they need. not as much as the Nets... but the Wizards have needed this kind of talent for some time... i dont see them pulling the trigger.

I know you follow CB... What are your opinions on cousins?... he looks promising in videos. and his stats are very nice for the mins he played. Or is Favors simply better because Cousins is said to be "raw"
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #12
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
I don't think the RJ trade was bad. I think we're just too focused on the fact that we got Yi out of it (who I don't hate that much and think he can be productive off the bench). Lets be serious here, the main reason we did that trade was to get Bobby Simmon's fat contract. Remember, he was the Nets' top paid player this year at 11 mil so it was instrumental for us recieving as much capspace as we do now.

I mean would you guys rather have RJ than 11 dollars of cap space removed?
okay, i'm working on a couple bottles of sam adams summer ale, so maybe i'm not at my sharpest right now.

BUT...

why was simmons any better than the equivalent in players and salaries that would expire at different times? IMO he wound up hurting nets flexibility for the time he was here, because after all, if that money could have been put into different avenues, say by picking up a couple inexpensive FA prospects, then millions could have been saved (reducing the franchise's past debt, making the team that much more attractive to any new buyer) AND development-wise the nets might have something to show other than simmons, a true professional, but a guy who seems to work hard every summer yet somehow keeps getting more one-dimensional every year.

and as for the value of that $11 million expirer- i admit that it's an asset in theory, but i'd like to see what actually happens with it before i consider it to have real value.

that is, unless yi takes another significant step forward this year and/or the simmons contract actually turns into something, i'm still skeptical on the RJ trade.

but, heck... maybe i'm just being another impatient douchebag fan. i'm certainly willing to be proven wrong on this...
Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
after a few beers and shots of patron, i realize that we have to just keep moving forward.
now there's a man who knows how to find a solution!

Quote:
...but let me tell u the Wizards are going to suck ass even with John Wall! they will never be a championship team in the near future...
that's exactly how i think of franchises like the wiz and the clippers- i.e., you could give them the #1 pick every year and they'd still find a way to screw it up.

Quote:
...Who knows, sixers may not take turner and we get him at 3...
hmm... i'm not feeling that one, mate. because at this point i can't imagine that anybody still sees lou williams as a true PG. not to mention, the sixers are pretty well-stocked with quality big men, like young and speights, not to mention being stuck with others like brand and dalembert. so it seems like the last thing they would want is to add another...

Quote:
Also just a a reminder

Deron Williams #3
Carmelo Anthony #3
Bosh#4
Wade #5
Baron Davis#3
Billups#3
Garnett#5
good man; good list. and i like to remember that roddy beaubois was drafted 25th last year, while the nets have the 27th and 31st picks this year (thanks, NF93).
Old 05-20-2010, 12:57 PM   #14
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

@ Gig, lolol beer and patron yea thats the secret to our lottery depression! syke na im jokin

@kiddlovesnets - i hear wat ur saying, im just trying to remind everybody that sometimes #1 doesnt always translate to becoming a superstar or even an allstar.

Also Mike Jordan was #3
we got this! our team is going to be very good...
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Also Mike Jordan was #3
we got this! our team is going to be very good...

lol lets hope either Wall or Turner will be dropped from top 2 list, then we'd be sure to have a chance. XD
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: