Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 05-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
AxionJaxion
Semper Primus

Default '10-'11 Top 25

1. Michigan State Deepest team in America.
2. Duke Irving is the best K recruit since Luol Deng.
3. Purdue Johnson and Moore withdrew from the draft. Hummell is back from injury.
4. Kansas State Denis Clemente is gone. Everyone else is back.
5. Pittsburgh Gibbs, Wanamaker, and Taylor comprise the BE's best roster.
6. Villanova Fisher, Stokes, Yarou, and Cheek return. Jayvaughn Pinkston arrives.
7. North Carolina Barnes, Marshall, and Bullock are studs. The Heels will still have problems on D and need to find a PG.
8. Virginia Tech Maclolm Delaney, Jeff Allen, and Dorenzo Hudson return to a team that was snubbed an invite to the 'AA tourny.
9. Temple The Owl duopoly, Lavoy Allen and Juan Fernandez, is the best in the A-10.
10. Illinois McCamey and Davis return. Leonard, Richmond, and Head provide enough neophyte talent for the Illini to make the big dance.
11. Gonzaga These 'Zags are tough. No more Austin Dayes and Matt Bouldins.
12. Kentucky Not as talented as last year's bunch, but Cal's 'Cats will rule the SEC.
13. Memphis Joe Jackson replaces Elliott Williams. Jelan Kendrick, Will Barton, Tarik Black, and CHris Crawford buttress the roster of the CUSA jugerrnaut.
14. Syracuse Melo and Waiters join Triche, Jardine, and Joseph.
15. Missouri Ricardo Ratliffe, Tony Mitchell, and Phil Pressy form the B12's best troika of newcomers.
16. Kansas Josh Selby will be the man from day 1. Marcus and Markeiff Morris will provide the bulk of the interior production.
17. Washington Thomas, Bryan-Amaning, and Gaddy are back. Newcomer Terrence Ross replaces Quincy Pondexter's athleticism.
18. Texas The most talented B12 roster not located in the Little Apple.
19. Ohio State Sullinger, Thomas, Sibert, and Craft join a team already consisting of William Buford, Jon Diebler, and David Lighty.
20. Baylor Ekpe Udoh and Tweety Carter no longer take classes in Waco. Perry Jones does.
21. Tennessee Tobias Harris becomes the Vols' best player the moment he steps foot in Thompson-Boling Arena.
22. NC State Sid Lowe hopes the freshman triumvirate of Leslie, Harrow, and Brown can save his job.
23. Florida Boynton, Walker, Parsons, Macklin, and Tyus return to Gainesville. Patric Young and Casey Prather are additions to Billy Donovan's squad.
24. Georgetown Greg Monroe is gone or the Hoyas would be slotted in the top 10.
25. Butler Gordon Hayward departed for the NBA. Ronald Nored, Shelvin Mack, and Matt Howard return.

Last edited by AxionJaxion : 05-23-2010 at 02:32 PM.
AxionJaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: '10-'11 Top 25

I like the Pitt love and Temple but I think you're overrating them some. I won't call Pitt top 5 until I see how Dante Taylor has developed (which he probably did well because Dixon is so good at developing his talent). Temple is a damn good team and has some very good returning players but I don't think they deserve a top 10 preseason bid.
Jailblazers7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Grinder

You could make a case for any of MSU, Duke, or Purdue at number 1. K-State will be good, but people are underestimating the loss of Clemente. Curtis Kelly and Wally Judge need to have big seasons for this team to be successful. The addition of Freddy Aprilla will help them defensively in a big way. Certainly a top 5 team in the preseason. Pitt at 5 is probably a little high, I'm not sold on Gibbs being the go to guy on an elite 8 team. Dante Taylor will need to show major improvements for them to justify a top 8 ranking.

Temple is not better than Ohio State, Baylor, Syracuse, or Kansas. Brooks leaving will actually be a pretty big loss and Lavoy Allen and Juan Fernandez are not enough for a team to be in the top 10, let alone the top 20. Ohio State's a top 10 team, add in Sullinger and Thomas to a team with Buford, Lighty, and Diebler and you've got a sleeper in the Big 10. LaceDarius Dunn, Quincy Acy, Perry Jones, and Josh Lomers make up one hell of a lineup. Cuse will have a skilled 7 footer and another big time scoring recruit along with Joseph, Triche, and Jardine. Kansas will always be good as long as Bill Self is at the helms…Selby could be an AA 1st teamer as a freshman, Elijah Johnson is an athletic freak and an NBA prospect most people don't know about. Thomas Robinson will be a major contributor this year, Withey brings size and clogs up the paint, and Marcus Morris and Tyshawn Taylor will bring leadership and experience. Round that out with excellent shooters in Morningstar and Reed and you've got a clear cut top 10 team

Memphis and Virginia Tech are too high, while Florida, Baylor, and especially Ohio State are too low.

1. Duke
2. Purdue
3. Michigan State
4. Kansas State
5. Ohio State
6. Kansas
7. Villanova
8. Pittsburgh
9. Baylor
10. Kentucky

Come see me when conference play starts and Ohio State is the best team in the Big 10 and Kansas is still atop the Big 12.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
AxionJaxion
Semper Primus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
You could make a case for any of MSU, Duke, or Purdue at number 1. K-State will be good, but people are underestimating the loss of Clemente. Curtis Kelly and Wally Judge need to have big seasons for this team to be successful. The addition of Freddy Aprilla will help them defensively in a big way. Certainly a top 5 team in the preseason. Pitt at 5 is probably a little high, I'm not sold on Gibbs being the go to guy on an elite 8 team. Dante Taylor will need to show major improvements for them to justify a top 8 ranking.

Temple is not better than Ohio State, Baylor, Syracuse, or Kansas. Brooks leaving will actually be a pretty big loss and Lavoy Allen and Juan Fernandez are not enough for a team to be in the top 10, let alone the top 20. Ohio State's a top 10 team, add in Sullinger and Thomas to a team with Buford, Lighty, and Diebler and you've got a sleeper in the Big 10. LaceDarius Dunn, Quincy Acy, Perry Jones, and Josh Lomers make up one hell of a lineup. Cuse will have a skilled 7 footer and another big time scoring recruit along with Joseph, Triche, and Jardine. Kansas will always be good as long as Bill Self is at the helms…Selby could be an AA 1st teamer as a freshman, Elijah Johnson is an athletic freak and an NBA prospect most people don't know about. Thomas Robinson will be a major contributor this year, Withey brings size and clogs up the paint, and Marcus Morris and Tyshawn Taylor will bring leadership and experience. Round that out with excellent shooters in Morningstar and Reed and you've got a clear cut top 10 team

Memphis and Virginia Tech are too high, while Florida, Baylor, and especially Ohio State are too low.

1. Duke
2. Purdue
3. Michigan State
4. Kansas State
5. Ohio State
6. Kansas
7. Villanova
8. Pittsburgh
9. Baylor
10. Kentucky

Come see me when conference play starts and Ohio State is the best team in the Big 10 and Kansas is still atop the Big 12.
I ranked Florida low because they are soft. Kenny Boynton's a good player. Vernon Macklin couldn't cut it at G'Town.

Still don't understand the infatuation with Ohio State. Still can't believe folks are doubting Tom Izzo. This is his best team since the '00 championship squad.

Virginia Tech's going to be really good. Memphis is young and some of their recruits may be busts. That is their only potential downfall.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

And as far as Pitt goes watch out for Gilbert Brown to have a huge year. I think he will have a Sam Young type of senior year.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxionJaxion
I ranked Florida low because they are soft. Kenny Boynton's a good player. Vernon Macklin couldn't cut it at G'Town.

Still don't understand the infatuation with Ohio State. Still can't believe folks are doubting Tom Izzo. This is his best team since the '00 championship squad.

Virginia Tech's going to be really good. Memphis is young and some of their recruits may be busts. That is their only potential downfall.
Who's doubting Izzo? We all know how great of a coach he is. I have them No. 3 and I don't think that's really doubting them.

It's picking nits, but I don't think this team will be as good as the 2001 MSU team: Charlie Bell, Jason Richardson, Zach Randolph, Andre Hutson, Marcus Taylor, etc.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
AxionJaxion
Semper Primus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Who's doubting Izzo? We all know how great of a coach he is. I have them No. 3 and I don't think that's really doubting them.

It's picking nits, but I don't think this team will be as good as the 2001 MSU team: Charlie Bell, Jason Richardson, Zach Randolph, Andre Hutson, Marcus Taylor, etc.
The championship team with Cleaves and Peterson was better.

Michigan State is better than Purdue. State loses Raymar Morgan, but adds Adreian Payne and Keith Appling. Lucas was injured, just like Hummell, and State had the better season. Hell, they made the final four without their best player.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Pitt sucks.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Can I start a troll war in this one?

Anyway, I don't really disagree with some of you (meaning Game and wang I think) that Kramer's invidual on ball defense was overrated, much as I did love it. I still don't think he's easily replaceable though, I can't recall at all what happened at Duke when Wojo graduated, but it's that type of leadership vibe. Call if overrated, nonconsequential, whatever, but there is a lot to be said for a 6'3 guy more than willing to go bang with Colton Iverson the next half when your stud busts his knee.

Not so much the skills as much as the mindset and the attitude it brought to the team, I mean you see Kramer earning his scholarship and getting cheered like a folk hero it can't do anything but encourage you to get down in your stance and stave off the penetration. The crowd cheering is another thing, people in west central Indiana ADORE Chris Kramer, he'll never pay for a meal again in this part of the state. I generally don't put all that much stock in "home court advantage," but when you're in a 2 possession game and the Folk Hero swims across the floor to knock it off the leg of the other guy outta bounds, tides are shifting. It's those momentum shifting type plays that not having him will hurt most, not straight up ball pressure perimeter D. Anyway, I have a Chris Kramer poster over my bed, so I'm biased.

Good to know fanbases outside of WL recognized the Keaton Grant hadn't done anything (save the game winner over Minnesota in the Hummel game) since his sophomore year other than suck. In general I'm COMPLETELY against forcing players you've committed a scholarship to, but with the backcourt depth coming in I'd have welcomed Ryne Smith or John Hart transferring to allow Donnie Hale to play right away and not go to a prep school. We've got a ton more size, but Marcius and Carroll (especially Carroll) aren't ready to step in in the event of Johnson foul trouble or, God forbid, injury. And Bade, my god, is he Greg Kite's son?
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
Pitt sucks.

Someone's bitter.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxionJaxion
The championship team with Cleaves and Peterson was better.

Michigan State is better than Purdue. State loses Raymar Morgan, but adds Adreian Payne and Keith Appling. Lucas was injured, just like Hummell, and State had the better season. Hell, they made the final four without their best player.
You said the best SINCE the championship team. Also, I think it's debatable who was better between the 2001 and 2000 MSU teams. The championship team played a No. 8 and a No. 5 seed in the Final Four, while the 2001 team played one of the most talented teams of the decade in the Final Four.

Speaking of matchups, Purdue played the eventual national champion in the Sweet 16. Michigan State played Northern Iowa. Do you think Michigan State would've beat Duke without Lucas? They were lucky to win each of their tournament games, with or without him. Could've easily lost any of them. And that wouldn't make them any better or worse heading into 2010-11.

So you can certainly argue that Michigan State is No. 1 heading into next year instead of Purdue, but last season's NCAA tournament is a pretty crappy reason.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 05-24-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Also, while we don't have an overwhelming number of regulars here, I think it'd be cool if everyone did their super-early preseason Top 25. Then we could do a real ISH Top 25. A few years ago we did a composite Top 25 throughout the season.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
bballer
King of ISH

I don't think UNC will be in the top 10 by the end of the season. im thinking they will MAYBE win 18-22 games.
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

You're saying a team with Harrison Barnes and John Henson has a ceiling of 22 wins? Really?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
AxionJaxion
Semper Primus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
You're saying a team with Harrison Barnes and John Henson has a ceiling of 22 wins? Really?
Not really that outlandish. Henson underwhelmed last season and the paucity of a PG and D may adhibit them from a great season, yet again.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: