Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: CBS Sports: Most overrated and underrated on each team

This guy is an idiot....for all the reasons mentioned by previous posters.

But he also said "Ronde Barber: His name still holds clout, but he isn't an elite player anymore -- if he ever was."

"IF HE EVER WAS"?!? Hahaha. Ronde has been one of the top CBs the past 10 years. No, he hasn't always been a top 3 CB, but up until this past season, he was definitely one of the more feared and respected CBs in the NFL. He is always the center of a huge, game-changing play and has come up with a number of clutch plays. He's the definition of consistency (up until the past two years).
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #17
jazz873
College star

While i agree with Sitton being underrated, i don't agree with Jennings being overrated. His numbers went down only because Finley became such an important player in the packers offense last season. And you can't forget they also have another 1000+ wide out in the ageless Driver.
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #18
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
While i agree with Sitton being underrated, i don't agree with Jennings being overrated. His numbers went down only because Finley became such an important player in the packers offense last season. And you can't forget they also have another 1000+ wide out in the ageless Driver.

Agreed. James Jones, too. They have weapons. They aren't a one wideout team like the lions basically were in Calvin Johnson.

Glad you pointed that out.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
AxionJaxion
Semper Primus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
This guy is an idiot....for all the reasons mentioned by previous posters.

But he also said "Ronde Barber: His name still holds clout, but he isn't an elite player anymore -- if he ever was."

"IF HE EVER WAS"?!? Hahaha. Ronde has been one of the top CBs the past 10 years. No, he hasn't always been a top 3 CB, but up until this past season, he was definitely one of the more feared and respected CBs in the NFL. He is always the center of a huge, game-changing play and has come up with a number of clutch plays. He's the definition of consistency (up until the past two years).
Don't pretend Barber didn't benefit tremendously from the likes of Simeon Rice, Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, John Lynch, and Monte Kiffin.
AxionJaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #20
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Cedric Benson overrated? "but I just don't think he has the real pop backs need."

what?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Samuel overrated

He is the best corner on the team and its typical philly fan to hate our better players.... Philly fans are ass backwards sometimes

he needs to improve his tackling, but his cover skills are great...

Philly fans forget who sparked us on our last real playoff run... It was Asante Samuel who who gave us the boost we needed against the Vikings and it was Asante Samuel again in the very next playoff game who gave us an important advantage over the Giants...

How many of our other defensive players bothered to make any plays in the playoffs recently?

I cant think of any...

But Samuel is overrated
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #22
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Samuel overrated

He is the best corner on the team and its typical philly fan to hate our better players.... Philly fans are ass backwards sometimes

he needs to improve his tackling, but his cover skills are great...

Philly fans forget who sparked us on our last real playoff run... It was Asante Samuel who who gave us the boost we needed against the Vikings and it was Asante Samuel again in the very next playoff game who gave us an important advantage over the Giants...

How many of our other defensive players bothered to make any plays in the playoffs recently?

I cant think of any...

But Samuel is overrated
He's a playmaker. Cover guy he is not. And of course he's the best corner on the team. Who's competing with him? Ellis Hobbs? Joselio Hanson? Saying he's overrated doesn't mean he doesn't have any value. He's extremely valuable to the team and maybe the best playmaker on the team not named DeSean Jackson. But making a fantastic play every game doesn't make up from the several you give up. Wherever he got this reputation that he's a good shutdown corner is false. Quarterbacks fear Samuel, not receivers.

Last edited by Posterize246 : 06-01-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #23
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
He's a playmaker. Cover guy he is not. And of course he's the best corner on the team. Who's competing with him? Ellis Hobbs? Joselio Hanson?

that makes it even more stupid to hear philly fans b*tch about him... Look who else is in our defensive backfield....

and again, who else makes plays on this defense?

he's not a lock down cover corner, but the way he clues in on the QB and makes plays is invaluable to the team... Its frustrating to hear philly fans(in general) rag on the guys who get the most done out there on the field. its ass backwards and contributes to our poor rep as fans...Guy has a great year...makes plays all over the place and yet you hear talk like we should be getting rid of the guy..

fans act like we got somebody better to put out there..

makes me wonder if some of these fans are really as drunk as they act
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #24
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
that makes it even more stupid to hear philly fans b*tch about him... Look who else is in our defensive backfield....

and again, who else makes plays on this defense?

he's not a lock down cover corner, but the way he clues in on the QB and makes plays is invaluable to the team... Its frustrating to hear philly fans(in general) rag on the guys who get the most done out there on the field. its ass backwards and contributes to our poor rep as fans...Guy has a great year...makes plays all over the place and yet you hear talk like we should be getting rid of the guy..makes me wonder if some of these fans are really as drunk as they act
He's one of the most criticized on the team but I haven't heard anyone talk about how they'd get rid of him. Never heard them go that far. Every time he jumps a route and gets a pick he's a hero, every time he jumps it and the receiver turns it into 25+ yards he looks like an idiot. Being a gambler is what makes him great and in the same sense awful at the same time.

The tackling of course is another issue. And I don't agree with his defending of himself saying "I'm a cornerback, I''m not out there to tackle". When you make plays like this (:05, :32) it's unacceptable. He thinks he can tackle without using his arms.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #25
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
He's one of the most criticized on the team but I haven't heard anyone talk about how they'd get rid of him. Never heard them go that far. Every time he jumps a route and gets a pick he's a hero, every time he jumps it and the receiver turns it into 25+ yards he looks like an idiot. Being a gambler is what makes him great and in the same sense awful at the same time.

The tackling of course is another issue. And I don't agree with his defending of himself saying "I'm a cornerback, I''m not out there to tackle". When you make plays like this (:05, :32) it's unacceptable. He thinks he can tackle without using his arms.

you wont get me to try and defend his tackling..... that arm tackling sh*t has to stop... its ridiculous...he needs to stop playing around and wrap dudes up..

but I'll take his gambling, because he is right much more than not and him being right means turnovers... I can accept the gamble of turnover vs. 25 yds since he makes soo many plays
Old 06-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #26
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

and who would be your pick for most overrated rasheed?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #27
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
and who would be your pick for most overrated rasheed?

on the eagles? I dont think we have any truly overrated players on the eagles...

Desean is great but not overrated yet... Maclin and kolb are still too new... Sometimes Cole disappears but I wouldnt call him overrated...

in the league? the cowboys are overrated, I know that much and we owe them a punch in the mouth too...

I'd call Marion Barber overrated even though his hype came down this year...

Brett favre is occasionally overrated even though I would call him a great all time QB
Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #28
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

DeSean jackson is by far the most overrated player on the Eagles...

Wade exposed how to shut him down, which is easy, all you have to do is take a saftey out of zone and glue him on top of DeSean, he is too little to jump up and fight for catches Fitz style...

he is a little speed receiver...take away the deep threat and he gets NOTHING...

and that is why every time he plays Dallas he goes home with NOTHING...

Asante is awesome though...
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #29
AxionJaxion
Semper Primus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
DeSean jackson is by far the most overrated player on the Eagles...

Wade exposed how to shut him down, which is easy, all you have to do is take a saftey out of zone and glue him on top of DeSean, he is too little to jump up and fight for catches Fitz style...

he is a little speed receiver...take away the deep threat and he gets NOTHING...

and that is why every time he plays Dallas he goes home with NOTHING...

Asante is awesome though...
Not when used correctly. Get him in space, and he's the best in the league, along with Chris Johnson.
AxionJaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #30
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Using Desean on screen plays is the way to beat the way Dallas was playing him. I was screaming for them to throw him a screen pass the whole damn game and by the time Reid's stubborn ass decided to use it the game was out of hand. And he scored a TD with it too. Figures.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: