Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 06-04-2006, 05:57 AM   #1
WildStyle
High School Starter

WildStyle has an OK reputation so far
Default Kemp to Denver?

Kemp eager to return to game
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post NBA beat reporter

Word of a slimmer Shawn Kemp recently seemed like stories of the Loch Ness monster or the Tooth Fairy. But late Friday night at a downtown Denver hotel, I confirmed the stories were true: The once 340-pound Kemp now looks like the all-star he was years ago.

After a two-season NBA hiatus full of drama, during which he was too overweight to play, the 36-year-old is about 70 pounds lighter and focused on ending his hoop career the right way, possibly with the Nuggets.

"What made it not fun was carrying around two bodies," Kemp said. "You can play at a high weight. You often feel like you can do things mentally, but physically you can't do it. That's what was going on for me. The instincts and all that were there, but I couldn't get the job done. Athleticism, conditioning, that is not a problem now."

Kemp was a six-time all-star, a three-time All-NBA third-team selection, a member of Dream Team II and was arguably the best player - yes, better than Michael Jordan - in the 1996 NBA Finals. But this weekend, "The Reign Man" was starting from scratch at the Nuggets' free-agent training camp that ends Monday.

"It's humbling, but it's fun," Kemp said.

How did this former NBA great go from one of the league's most popular players to free-agent camp?

The New York Post reported Kemp had a drinking problem while playing for Seattle in the mid-1990s.

During the lockout in 1998, Kemp reportedly went from 260 pounds to nearly 320 pounds. His scoring average dipped to 6.8 points his last season with Orlando three years ago.

In spring of 2001, Kemp checked into a rehabilitation clinic for cocaine abuse.

In April 2005 he was arrested in the Seattle area for having small amounts of marijuana and cocaine in his car.

Kemp knows his past will affect his NBA future and blames only himself.

"I'm a player with a history," he said. "Most teams, regardless to what the sport is, it scares them. ... It scares them simply because they don't want to wake up in the morning and read something, look and hear something. And that is what the situation is now.

"The only thing I can say to teams is I've been playing basketball all my life, man, and the time I took off, I learned more in those two years than the previous 10."

Nuggets coach George Karl, who coached Kemp in Seattle, sees a difference.

"Shawn always had a good heart," Karl said. "He just now seems a little more clearer, little more matured and more together."

Dallas has interest in Kemp and his agent, Tony Dutt, said three other teams do, too. But Denver could be the best fit.

The Nuggets have three free-agent big men in Nene, Francisco Elson and Reggie Evans and are exploring a trade for forward Kenyon Martin, who was suspended in the playoffs for conduct detrimental to the team. And Denver badly needs a veteran leader.

"I know which (teams) need big men and which ones doesn't," Kemp said. "The teams I work out for this summer will definitely need big men. Denver's one of them."

Kemp would have the makings of a solid support system in Denver. Nuggets director of player personnel Mark Warkentien recruited Kemp to UNLV and worked with him in Seattle and Portland. Nuggets assistant Tim Grgurich played a big role in developing Kemp's game in Seattle. Kemp's longtime attorney, Scott Boatman, lives in Denver, and assistant coach Scott Brooks and guards Andre Miller and Earl Boykins are former teammates.
Kemp said if Karl wants him, there is a "strong possibility" he can play for Denver. Karl said he could better evaluate Kemp at the end of the camp.

"George - and I wouldn't say that about very many coaches - but as far as just him, man, I can work for him," Kemp said.

From the short time I saw Kemp in Saturday morning's scrimmage, he was agile, played great defense, looked strong, rebounded well and ran smoothly. Karl said Kemp shot jumpers initially - to his chagrin - but moved into the post.

Financially there is little risk involved should the Nuggets sign Kemp. They would have to pay him $744,551 for a one-year deal, with the NBA paying the other $433,797 since he has played 10 years.

If Kemp is just 60 percent of what he was, you've got a quality backup who is more than worth the risk. And, best of all, the former No. 40 would have a positive ending for his book that is in the works, "From 40 to 340 and Back."

"To make this happen now would be the biggest accomplishment of my life," he said.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_3897710?source=rss#

---------------

He was one of my favourite players back in the day. From that picture, he does look bigger then his all-star days. But instead of fat, it looks more like muscle. Denver would be a good fit, playing for George Karl again. Good luck to Shawn.
WildStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

I'm glad to see that he's made an effort to get his life back on track and it has paid off for him. I'd love to see him make a comeback.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

TheReturnofCed is starting to rub some people the wrong wayTheReturnofCed is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle
Kemp eager to return to game
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post NBA beat reporter

Word of a slimmer Shawn Kemp recently seemed like stories of the Loch Ness monster or the Tooth Fairy. But late Friday night at a downtown Denver hotel, I confirmed the stories were true: The once 340-pound Kemp now looks like the all-star he was years ago.

After a two-season NBA hiatus full of drama, during which he was too overweight to play, the 36-year-old is about 70 pounds lighter and focused on ending his hoop career the right way, possibly with the Nuggets.

"What made it not fun was carrying around two bodies," Kemp said. "You can play at a high weight. You often feel like you can do things mentally, but physically you can't do it. That's what was going on for me. The instincts and all that were there, but I couldn't get the job done. Athleticism, conditioning, that is not a problem now."

Kemp was a six-time all-star, a three-time All-NBA third-team selection, a member of Dream Team II and was arguably the best player - yes, better than Michael Jordan - in the 1996 NBA Finals. But this weekend, "The Reign Man" was starting from scratch at the Nuggets' free-agent training camp that ends Monday.

"It's humbling, but it's fun," Kemp said.

How did this former NBA great go from one of the league's most popular players to free-agent camp?

The New York Post reported Kemp had a drinking problem while playing for Seattle in the mid-1990s.

During the lockout in 1998, Kemp reportedly went from 260 pounds to nearly 320 pounds. His scoring average dipped to 6.8 points his last season with Orlando three years ago.

In spring of 2001, Kemp checked into a rehabilitation clinic for cocaine abuse.

In April 2005 he was arrested in the Seattle area for having small amounts of marijuana and cocaine in his car.

Kemp knows his past will affect his NBA future and blames only himself.

"I'm a player with a history," he said. "Most teams, regardless to what the sport is, it scares them. ... It scares them simply because they don't want to wake up in the morning and read something, look and hear something. And that is what the situation is now.

"The only thing I can say to teams is I've been playing basketball all my life, man, and the time I took off, I learned more in those two years than the previous 10."

Nuggets coach George Karl, who coached Kemp in Seattle, sees a difference.

"Shawn always had a good heart," Karl said. "He just now seems a little more clearer, little more matured and more together."

Dallas has interest in Kemp and his agent, Tony Dutt, said three other teams do, too. But Denver could be the best fit.

The Nuggets have three free-agent big men in Nene, Francisco Elson and Reggie Evans and are exploring a trade for forward Kenyon Martin, who was suspended in the playoffs for conduct detrimental to the team. And Denver badly needs a veteran leader.

"I know which (teams) need big men and which ones doesn't," Kemp said. "The teams I work out for this summer will definitely need big men. Denver's one of them."

Kemp would have the makings of a solid support system in Denver. Nuggets director of player personnel Mark Warkentien recruited Kemp to UNLV and worked with him in Seattle and Portland. Nuggets assistant Tim Grgurich played a big role in developing Kemp's game in Seattle. Kemp's longtime attorney, Scott Boatman, lives in Denver, and assistant coach Scott Brooks and guards Andre Miller and Earl Boykins are former teammates.
Kemp said if Karl wants him, there is a "strong possibility" he can play for Denver. Karl said he could better evaluate Kemp at the end of the camp.

"George - and I wouldn't say that about very many coaches - but as far as just him, man, I can work for him," Kemp said.

From the short time I saw Kemp in Saturday morning's scrimmage, he was agile, played great defense, looked strong, rebounded well and ran smoothly. Karl said Kemp shot jumpers initially - to his chagrin - but moved into the post.

Financially there is little risk involved should the Nuggets sign Kemp. They would have to pay him $744,551 for a one-year deal, with the NBA paying the other $433,797 since he has played 10 years.

If Kemp is just 60 percent of what he was, you've got a quality backup who is more than worth the risk. And, best of all, the former No. 40 would have a positive ending for his book that is in the works, "From 40 to 340 and Back."

"To make this happen now would be the biggest accomplishment of my life," he said.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_3897710?source=rss#

---------------

He was one of my favourite players back in the day. From that picture, he does look bigger then his all-star days. But instead of fat, it looks more like muscle. Denver would be a good fit, playing for George Karl again. Good luck to Shawn.

Good to hear Shawn doing well. He sounds like he is ready to contribute the NBA again. Positively.
TheReturnofCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

McDyess at best. On the right team, he could help, but Denver needs to save its money for shooters.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

Juvenile has no real reputation yet.

Well, they wouldnt exactly have to throw millions at him. Read the whole article.
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

glad to hear kemp is gettin it back together. i think he'll actually contribute given the minutes

Quote:
The playoffs have proved that Dwyane Wade and LeBron James are INARGUABLY the two best perimeter players in the league.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
pizzahungry
Can barely lace up my sneakers

pizzahungry has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanOnSteroids
McDyess at best. On the right team, he could help, but Denver needs to save its money for shooters.

Good call on the comparison. A young Kemp was never a player who built his game on fundamentals, just explosiveness. It will be nice to see if & how he has changed his game to account for his age & diminished athleticism..
pizzahungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:57 AM   #8
rifleman
I airball my layups

rifleman has an OK reputation so far

Kemp's got game - he's the 90s Amare.

He def will be better than Vin Baker's comeback

Wish him all the best, maybe the less he gets paid, the less money goes to food, drugs, hos, etc...

A bit OT, but any word on spree?
rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

spree's dead of starvation.

kemp is broke by child support.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #10
SmokyMcNasty
I hit open 5-footers

SmokyMcNasty has an OK reputation so far

Denver's frontcourt is always in foul trouble. And in the West, with all those talented PF's in the conference... at worst.. he's 6 more fouls that this team will need..
SmokyMcNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:10 AM   #11
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

denver's problem isn't their front court, its their guards. if they can get kemp easily for cheap, great, but their attention should be focused elsewhere.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #12
pizzahungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman

A bit OT, but any word on spree?

i've read somewhere that he's still working on his game privately in a town in which he owns a bussiness. he should have taken a shot with a playoff bound team (a la tim thomas) with the possibility of earning a big contract this off-season. (he could have helped himself if he found the right team to play for.) it appears though that he will not budge on his request for a sizeable contract to come back to the nba. the guy has got game but no brain.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #13
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

his game left him a long time ago too. he sucked in minny.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #14
pizzahungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanOnSteroids
his game left him a long time ago too. he sucked in minny.

i agree that his skills have dropped off, however the same was said about tim thomas. spree just needed to latch on to a team (like thomas), hit a few shots in the playoffs(like thomas) & there would be a gm out there stupid enough to sign him for the 7 mil he wanted(maybe I. thomas :P). another player example is J. James. in last years playoffs. he just played well in 1 series & he got a nice $$$ figure.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #15
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Looks like they're making room to get rid of Martin...
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: