Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default As teammates, what do you think?

I'm a point guard, and I like to think of myself as a pass-first one. The problem is that I do it way too much, and it can get kind of disadvantageous. Defenses start to sag off and I still don't shoot not because I'm afraid to, but because I think it's my job to keep my teammates happy with lots of shots.

Now, I never thought that I needed to get shots up there. I know I can be a scorer, but I've never needed to have the ball to be happy/effective. What about you guys? Who do you like to play with? What is the ideal point guard for you?
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Re: As teammates, what do you think?

This is similar to my post. An ideal PG is Chris Paul and I try to imitate his game. Some days I will feel that I don't even need to score because there are so many faults in the defense and I can easily get points for my team by passing, this is more of the Steve Nash/Jason Kidd type game. Other nights I will feel like just straight up attacking the defense and looking to score and create for my team through penetration, this is more of the Allen Iverson side of the PG position.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

The ideal player to play with is guy who can drive and finish, but kicks it out when the D collapses. It seems like a simple philosophy, but it's amazing how many people either can't do it or don't do it. I'm sitting at the 3 point line wide open going "Yooo!" and they just take a contested shot in the lane (smh). I am very confident in my shot and if you don't give it to me when I'm wide open... I'm pissed

The last time I played a really competitive game of 5 on 5 I had a guy like that on my team. He could get in the lane at will and finish, but whenever I was open he hit me (other teammates as well). I went 4/5 on 3's in 2 games and we won both of them. I'd rotate to the spot I needed to be for him to make an easy pass to me and boom... shit was so effective and it was all because of his penetration (that's what she said) and willingness to pass that rock. A pass first PG is still very nice, but if he isn't really a threat to score, generally you won't get the ball in as good of positions. Still tho... I mean the only thing worse than a ballhog is a chucker... at least ballhogs will take it to the rack and try to get a decent shot lol... but neither are fun to play with.

Bottom line tho, if you are open, you need to shoot. You don't have to every time, but keep the D honest. You make 1 or 2, they are just plain stupid if they don't come and guard you. That will force them to play tighter and then you can drive and dish. Don't force thing that aren't there.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 06-03-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

ideal pg for me is someone that reads the floor well, if there's a mismatch for him then go ahead and score, play good perimeter defense, hit open teammates and call out things that are happening on the court

i feel you on the situation, i'm in the same shoe too. in one of the team that i'm playing with, i'm the first offensive option on the team and they make me play point . i try to distribute as much as i can but sometimes you just gota take over when the team is struggling on the offensive end. Also, when your offense opens up, they'll collapse and try to double you that's when your teammates are gona get some easy buckets. Most of the time we just play good defense and run fast breaks off a turn over or a defensive rebound.

i assume you play organized bball? (pick up 5 on 5s can be a big disaster if you just have a bunch of random folks) if that's the case, try to talk to your coach and your teammates, it helps a lot with a coach guiding the team, also knowing what your teammates are thinking so everyone's on the same page, you'll be surprised how many people have no idea what they are suppose to do on the court.

also you need to shoot that ball if you are open, if you are not even a threat, you are making it harder for your teammates to score since you are not spreading the floor and they have the opportunity to collapse on your teammate or disrupt the passing lane
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Maize'N'Blue
Super Yooper

Maize'N'Blue has an OK reputation so far

Swaggin thats pretty much the role I play during the season lol. Except I have a massive ballhog on my team so it's kind of hard to do my job as a wing.
Maize'N'Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I'm a point guard, and I like to think of myself as a pass-first one. The problem is that I do it way too much, and it can get kind of disadvantageous. Defenses start to sag off and I still don't shoot not because I'm afraid to, but because I think it's my job to keep my teammates happy with lots of shots.

Now, I never thought that I needed to get shots up there. I know I can be a scorer, but I've never needed to have the ball to be happy/effective. What about you guys? Who do you like to play with? What is the ideal point guard for you?
There's a PG like you in my league. It's fine as long as you know how to shoot when someone sags off. Look at Steve Nash, without his shooting skills he would be nothing.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah, I'm really working on the mid range but it kind of sucks because many games I get carried away perfecting running the point and end up taking like 1 shot (and I make that shot), I like keeping the team happy but I wouldn't mind scoring either... I think a team where everyone is a passer/scorer would be pretty cool, I played pickup like that once and we were unstoppable.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
There's a PG like you in my league. It's fine as long as you know how to shoot when someone sags off. Look at Steve Nash, without his shooting skills he would be nothing.

In mine too, he leads the league in assists and his team is dead last. His teammates can't create and opposing teams cut off his passing lanes. Also I think he chose guys who didn't/couldn't go one on one, he picked spot up shooters. So when he was nullified, they couldn't create their own shots.

Nothing wrong w/ averaging 10 assists and 15+ points.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really working on the mid range but it kind of sucks because many games I get carried away perfecting running the point and end up taking like 1 shot (and I make that shot), I like keeping the team happy but I wouldn't mind scoring either... I think a team where everyone is a passer/scorer would be pretty cool, I played pickup like that once and we were unstoppable.

Rarely do you get a team like that where everyone is a good decision maker like that especially in pick up. If you have 3 people on your team that shoot/drive and kick... then you will probably win. 5 of em, you will definitely win. There are just too many people out there who don't have confidence in their handle, shot, or just have a one track mind.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The ideal PG for Swaggin it's me but more taller .
Admittit it bro
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Wow. What a cool PG you are. You are an ideal PG; pass first, awesome. U and I would blend well. I am a post player that likes to pass out to a wing or a cutting teammate. But you are an ideal teammate for streetball because you have 2-3 shooters on your team, always. And with that many people crying for the ball, it makes life easier for your teammates. But you would blend well with our league.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
The ideal PG for Swaggin it's me but more taller .
Admittit it bro

Well I know you are pass first so yea that is step 1
Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Being pass first kind of sucks, because lately I've gotten the label of "pass only". Everyone knows I'm going to pass it and 90% of the time I usually do. It usually doesn't become a problem, however, until I play smaller games like 2s or 3s and they start backing off and my shot isn't falling.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

I have this problem too. The thing that works for me is to envision and plan everything beforehand. The logic for me is that if I'm driving in and just pass it to an open man near the freethrow line, he'll be surprised and 1: If he's a noob: he'll just shoot it and 8/10 miss 2: If he's good: he'll drive in which sort of made the pass unecessary 3: If he's pro: I wouldn't care since he's pro
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

i didnt read any body elses posts so sorry if im repeating someone but you have to make sure that people respect your game when ur on the court. sure pass the ball thats great if you dnt mind about scoring.. but you have to be able to hit the open jumper when given the chance.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: