Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #16
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Which to Trust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Well I don't know about you guys... but if someone yells at me in pickup I just think they are a joke. It depends how they yell tho... if I feel that is a solid meaning behind it then that's different, but if it's just like a "you suck" kind of thing, then screw em I don't need that. I haven't gotten that kind of treatment in a long ass time tho. I don't need to try and prove em wrong and fill their ego knowing they got to me... unless I feel like I am really doing something stupid I guess then I will try for my own sake. The people who bring out the best in others are those who get on you if you aren't playing up to snuff, but that don't try to bring you down and also let you know when you did something well. Me personally, I just say simple things like "Man you can't let him do you like that... lock up" or "You have to put that in the cup man... get em next time"... ya know just simple things and in a calm demeanor. That is enough to motivate people without alienating them... cus people know when they did something wrong. The goal is to make sure they don't get down about it, but instead rise up and get to another level.

Same with me. I really don't get how yelling negatively is supposed to help the team, all it does it lower confidence. In pickup I usually don't even say anything unless I feel like I'm the leader, and when something bad happens usually I just tell him it was a good look (if it was) and that they'll get it next time. If they start throwing up shots, I might tell them to drive or keep swinging.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Wow, I know the perfect response to this. It's a motivational speech by Micah Lancaster about negative responses :)

http://mltraining.blogspot.com/2009/...ing-house.html
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
Kobe8
Banned

Kobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Wow, I know the perfect response to this. It's a motivational speech by Micah Lancaster about negative responses :)

http://mltraining.blogspot.com/2009/...ing-house.html

Thanks Bro
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #19
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

the way i see it, you have two options

#1 ask them to let you go play post for 1 game, just 1 game so you can show them what you are capable of , of course, you gota own in that one game otherwise they'll talk more trash to you haha

#2 learn how to play the wing and take their suggestions. i know a lota people who had to switch from center to PG because they were tall at an earlier age but stopped growing, and they struggled real bad. if talking shiet is bad, then the real old traditional coaches and basketball systems from asian countries are a lot worst than that. i've basically seen the coach just throw the ball at the guards in the head when they made a mistake, or the coach just walked on the court and litearlly kicked them in the ass haha. but, everyone learned real fast after that ....

Personally, i think you should take this as a chance to add some versatility to your game and learn how to play the wing. maybe you'll face someone who's got better post defense than your post offense then you can pull out and work your magic. it's gona take time to learn and grow as a player, but use their negative connotations as a driving force, you'll prove them wrong when that day comes.

also you mentioned the people in the same grade as you said you are the 2nd best in the year, imagine if you didnt played with the older and better crowd, you most likely won't be in that cateogry in the first place

stay thirsty my friend
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:44 AM   #20
Kobe8
Banned

Kobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller
the way i see it, you have two options

#1 ask them to let you go play post for 1 game, just 1 game so you can show them what you are capable of , of course, you gota own in that one game otherwise they'll talk more trash to you haha

#2 learn how to play the wing and take their suggestions. i know a lota people who had to switch from center to PG because they were tall at an earlier age but stopped growing, and they struggled real bad. if talking shiet is bad, then the real old traditional coaches and basketball systems from asian countries are a lot worst than that. i've basically seen the coach just throw the ball at the guards in the head when they made a mistake, or the coach just walked on the court and litearlly kicked them in the ass haha. but, everyone learned real fast after that ....

Personally, i think you should take this as a chance to add some versatility to your game and learn how to play the wing. maybe you'll face someone who's got better post defense than your post offense then you can pull out and work your magic. it's gona take time to learn and grow as a player, but use their negative connotations as a driving force, you'll prove them wrong when that day comes.

also you mentioned the people in the same grade as you said you are the 2nd best in the year, imagine if you didnt played with the older and better crowd, you most likely won't be in that cateogry in the first place

stay thirsty my friend

Nice One Bruh , Ill keep those things you said in my mind.
thanks ;)
Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #21
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Well, dude, alam mo naman yung mga naglalarong kalye dito eh. Mayayabang at di marunong maglaro sa loob ng isang pangkat o grupo. Gusto ng lahat mag-feeling Kobe.

Okay, enough with the Tagalog, but dude, I know how you feel. As a young'n playing with older people during pick-up, I know how it feels when these assholes who are at the court on when they should be working make you feel like you're worthless. I just learned to not listen to them because they're kinda being hypocritical when they do that. I only open my ears when they say something constructive. I can understand them being pissed or disappointed and all, but then not when they start lashing out coz it's gonna do nothing but just ruin the game for everyone. As for who to listen to, I'd say yourself, your coach, and people you're not exactly friends with, but then you get to play with a lot. These guys that don't have their heads on right would just give you false word. And yeah, just stay hungry to learn.

P.S: Hit me up when you come back, dude. You live in QC?

Last edited by NotYetGreat : 06-01-2010 at 09:57 AM.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #22
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea just listen to people who know what they are talking about, and those you respect.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #23
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

just don't here the "wrong things" that they say to you .. Older players are always complaining about everything that you do, even if it wasn't your foul.
And i know what i'm saying, i play semi pro basketball in Europe and i'm only 19
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #24
Kobe8
Banned

Thanks ya;ll.. I live in CDO
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: