Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Button has an OK reputation so far
Default Cant function well in 5 vs 5 systems

Ok in my 8th year of playing basketball i found out that i cant function in a 5 vs 5 system well enough as i would like to play.
Whenever i play 1 vs 1 2 vs 2 3 vs 3 i play like 5 times better, take more initiative, make more shots, less turnovers.
I have no idea why this is, or how it got like this (always has been like this)
Any ofyou know what im talking about, of have had this same problem?
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
scm5
Decent college freshman

scm5 has decent reputation
Default Re: Cant function well in 5 vs 5 systems

I think it has to do with your handles and ability to create shots for yourself in traffic.

While you might be good enough to do whatever you want in 3v3 or 4v4 situations, in 5v5 situations, you will find the lanes are more clogged and help defenders are closer than you're used to.

I find that 3v3's are ridiculously easy to score at times.
scm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
I think it has to do with your handles and ability to create shots for yourself in traffic.

While you might be good enough to do whatever you want in 3v3 or 4v4 situations, in 5v5 situations, you will find the lanes are more clogged and help defenders are closer than you're used to.

I find that 3v3's are ridiculously easy to score at times.

well i dont feel confortable, when im playing 5 vs 5 in taking my own shots, going for my own actions, i just rebound pass out, and just play defence, also the shots i take then i kind off **** them up, take bad decisions, or miss easy shots.
but in 3 vs 3 i can go 1 vs 3 and make the hard shots, shoot the 3 + put alot more effort in everything i do, its way more easier to put in more effort but dnno why that is.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Sticks has an OK reputation so far

3v3's and even 4v4's have far more spacing then 5v5. You're almost never going to have an uncontested lay-up and there are far more situations where you're away from the ball.

There's less defenders so less traps, less people playing weakside help in the passing lanes and all of that.

I must say I also prefer 3v3 over 5v5 at times but 5v5 can be extremely fun since it gives you much more options. You have to be a more complete player in my opinion though to function as well in 5v5 as you do in 3v3. There's only one solution and that is practice.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks
3v3's and even 4v4's have far more spacing then 5v5. You're almost never going to have an uncontested lay-up and there are far more situations where you're away from the ball.

There's less defenders so less traps, less people playing weakside help in the passing lanes and all of that.

I must say I also prefer 3v3 over 5v5 at times but 5v5 can be extremely fun since it gives you much more options. You have to be a more complete player in my opinion though to function as well in 5v5 as you do in 3v3. There's only one solution and that is practice.

Im not realy talking about being able to take and make the shot, more about the pressure in my mind, from my teammates, opponants, and the crowd knowing if i **** up , every1 will see.
but if i have the same opponants, crowd etc etc. i can make those shots in 3 vs 3. i also dont mind taking the shots

also i quit my team because of this reason. cous they know what im able of doing, but whenever a 5 vs 5 starts , i perform under my ability.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #6
Sakkreth
Raptors/LTU/Zalgiris

Sakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation hereSakkreth has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Button
Im not realy talking about being able to take and make the shot, more about the pressure in my mind, from my teammates, opponants, and the crowd knowing if i **** up , every1 will see.
but if i have the same opponants, crowd etc etc. i can make those shots in 3 vs 3. i also dont mind taking the shots

also i quit my team because of this reason. cous they know what im able of doing, but whenever a 5 vs 5 starts , i perform under my ability.

You answer to your question urself that it's psychological problems somehow, now you gotta find why u have them when playing 5v5.
Sakkreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

well any1 know a solution how i can work on this, because i love this game, and if i can fix this problem, i can be more of use by my teammates
Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
Sticks

Never, ever quit on your team... You're letting yourself down and you're letting them down. They want you there I'm sure of it. I'm sorry to say it but you're just mentally soft. You need to toughen up. As soon as you hit the hardwood there is 1 thing that matters and 1 thing only. You and the game. Nothing else should matter, it should all be about playing your heart out. You can have a good game or a bad game but as long as you keep hustling your team will be happy with you.

Never ever should it even enter your mind what the crowd is thinking, I don't even notice they are there when the game is going on, my girlfriend has even chewed me out for that once since I didn't even look at her when she walked in.

You know you can do it, you just need to stop worrying and let go. When you go to the arena put on some music to get you into a gamemood or maybe helps you relax and focus. Don't overthink things, be confident in what you can do. Or as some people like to call it let the game come to you. And maybe talk to your coach about it, he should be able to help as well.

In the immortal words of Barney Stinson: "When you're sad, stop being sad and be awesome instead!"
Old 06-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote:
Never, ever quit on your team... You're letting yourself down and you're letting them down. They want you there I'm sure of it. I'm sorry to say it but you're just mentally soft. You need to toughen up. As soon as you hit the hardwood there is 1 thing that matters and 1 thing only. You and the game. Nothing else should matter, it should all be about playing your heart out. You can have a good game or a bad game but as long as you keep hustling your team will be happy with you.

Never ever should it even enter your mind what the crowd is thinking, I don't even notice they are there when the game is going on, my girlfriend has even chewed me out for that once since I didn't even look at her when she walked in.

You know you can do it, you just need to stop worrying and let go. When you go to the arena put on some music to get you into a gamemood or maybe helps you relax and focus. Don't overthink things, be confident in what you can do. Or as some people like to call it let the game come to you. And maybe talk to your coach about it, he should be able to help as well.

In the immortal words of Barney Stinson: "When you're sad, stop being sad and be awesome instead!"

Well i know it kinda sux, and ill prob return, but what will prob make yo understand the situation more.
in my first 4-5 years of playing basketball i was always benched, playing 1 -2 mins a game if iwas lucky (if some1 needed a break or smth)
then suddenly coming in playing for the 1st team, i got a starting position, and i knew what to do and how to play, just couldnt let it out.

this year i had 1 good game, where the whole crowd was against us, yelling cursing throwing balls in the game to stop us from scoring. arguing with refs.
and i played like a beast and we won the game with 2 points diff, their center was prob 15 cm bigger then me but i outreboundid him like a mad man. was awsome. the negativity of the crowd actually helped me, in wich in the end of the game, i walked on the court alone and thanked them.

Ill try some of the advices you gave me to get my mind at the game, be prepared, to be able and do my thing

Btw the quote,Legen (and i hope ur not lactose intollerant since the next word is DAIRY
Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
Sticks

Well going from Bench Warming to starting can be rather daunting off course, especially if it's your teams main club. It sounds like you just need to play more and get used to the pressure.

Don't worry too much about it, just keep playing. And show up at the court at the campus sometime during the summer ;).
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #11
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote:
Well going from Bench Warming to starting can be rather daunting off course, especially if it's your teams main club. It sounds like you just need to play more and get used to the pressure.

Don't worry too much about it, just keep playing. And show up at the court at the campus sometime during the summer ;).

ye, gonna get playing for clubs 1st team next year if i continue, new group, older players, so will be tougher, but well be fun.

i might even come to campus this summer, see what the level of play is there, might be fun
Old 06-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Sticks

I'll drop you a message on here if we're planning on playing pick-up. Anyone else in the area of Enschede let me know.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #13
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote:
I'll drop you a message on here if we're planning on playing pick-up. Anyone else in the area of Enschede let me know.

i might bring 1 along, tall guy also played basketball for phew years
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

Well, prep yourself just a little bit before you play. Tell yourself that "Hey, I'm good enough to hold my own with other guys and I'm not gonna mess this up." I know where you're coming from. I used to be this little kid that the older ones never respected, and that translated into my play. I was scared to hold the ball in fear that those asshole older dudes who are supposed to be role models would just shout at me or get pissed. Growing up after that, I just made myself get better and think that I can play with them. I also suggest you listen to some of this guy's podcasts. Look for Coach Koran Godwin on YouTube. His podcasts have also helped me a bit.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
Well, prep yourself just a little bit before you play. Tell yourself that "Hey, I'm good enough to hold my own with other guys and I'm not gonna mess this up." I know where you're coming from. I used to be this little kid that the older ones never respected, and that translated into my play. I was scared to hold the ball in fear that those asshole older dudes who are supposed to be role models would just shout at me or get pissed. Growing up after that, I just made myself get better and think that I can play with them. I also suggest you listen to some of this guy's podcasts. Look for Coach Koran Godwin on YouTube. His podcasts have also helped me a bit.

thnx, yes thats kind of how i feel, so ill look him up listen to what he has to say
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: