Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #16
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Cant function well in 5 vs 5 systems

lol you should never have any pressure just playing for fun.. thats just dumb. its a game, its suppose to be fun. quit living inside your head and go have some fun
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
Nanners
Great college starter

Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I do the same thing. When I play my friends I can rip a 3v3 or 2v2 to shreds but I usually just feel kind of lost in 5v5
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Do you play 5 vs. 5 on full court? 5 vs. 5 on half-court is just awful.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #19
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

I felt this way before, but now I know how to score better so instead of looking at my defender I will look at his help and find gaps in the D. I will take the first defender off the dribble and get in the lane with my speed and quickness. If the lane is clogged up I will shoot a mid range, floater, or use an acrobatic move to score. Now that I know I can score I look to create for my teammates.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
scm5
Good college starter

scm5 has decent reputation

Also, if you're playing pickup 5v5, it's like a chaotic mess in there a lot of the time.

You could end up driving and have a teammate cutting, running right at you. You could have teammates that don't know how to perform a pick and roll and essentially just brings an extra defender to you.

These players in a 5v5 situation make it harder for you to score as well.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #21
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

It's all about spacing. You see how hard it is for guys in college to drive and score... it doesn't happen often cus the spacing isn't as good and the lanes get clogged so fast. In the NBA, guys can do it all the time because the the spacing is so much better. In 3 on 3... the spacing is fantastic. there is no rotation to speak of either so if guy comes to help his guy is going to be wide open. In 5 on 5... especially when playing against a good defensive team... it's tough. when playing pickup games nobody rotates so it's pretty much the same as 3 on 3 except with more bodies... so it is a little more challenging in that sense, but still not a true test.

You are a center tho correct? What exactly is your role on the team? Are you sure you need to play a lot better?
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #22
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
It's all about spacing. You see how hard it is for guys in college to drive and score... it doesn't happen often cus the spacing isn't as good and the lanes get clogged so fast. In the NBA, guys can do it all the time because the the spacing is so much better. In 3 on 3... the spacing is fantastic. there is no rotation to speak of either so if guy comes to help his guy is going to be wide open. In 5 on 5... especially when playing against a good defensive team... it's tough. when playing pickup games nobody rotates so it's pretty much the same as 3 on 3 except with more bodies... so it is a little more challenging in that sense, but still not a true test.

You are a center tho correct? What exactly is your role on the team? Are you sure you need to play a lot better?

it helps that the 3 pt line is moved back a couple feet
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #23
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJDW
Do you play 5 vs. 5 on full court? 5 vs. 5 on half-court is just awful.
Who da fck play 5 v 5 half court.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #24
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Who da fck play 5 v 5 half court.

People look at it like it's ridiculous... but in reality it's just the same just no transition game. In pick up games at least half your points are going to come off transition tho so that's why everybody is like wtf?? But when you have 5... you might as well play full court... It's really the only good amount to play full with.

Quote:
it helps that the 3 pt line is moved back a couple feet

Well yea... but it's not as big a deal as you might think... NBA players are the as long as they come and generally more athletic so they can close better. The spacing in general is just better... but I'm going to deny that the 3 point line has something to do with it because it definitely does. Driving and posting up are almost non existent in the College game because everything is so bunched together and frantic. It's all about cutting, screens, and transition.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 06-02-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #25
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Button has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

thnx for the advice guys

well yeah you can kind of call me a center, eventhough im only 1.95 (6'4) ? the 2nd biggest is like 5'12 eventhough we play in the under 20 age league. (im 19) my job is to go up for the rebounds, in offence post up, draw in the defense pass out or go for my own actions (never learned alot of post moves)
But i preffer to play more a sf role, but i dont complain, i do this for the team and love working for them.

also because i dont preform good in games, still starter though, people think i kind of suck, eventhough when we play in practise,i can score on them if i try.
Players, coach told me multiple times to play like i do in practise, in games, and i have tried but it just doesnt come out
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 AM   #26
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Sticks has an OK reputation so far

Give me a center who battles down low for rebounds anyday. Although you do feel a little undersized as a center. Considering I'm 5 cm shorter and I basically play SG/SF. Had to do with bodybuild as well I guess. Can't do much as a C when you way 77kg.

But you said you wanted to work for your team, that's the proper spirit. Just keep that attitude in mind and the rest will come.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #27
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks
Give me a center who battles down low for rebounds anyday. Although you do feel a little undersized as a center. Considering I'm 5 cm shorter and I basically play SG/SF. Had to do with bodybuild as well I guess. Can't do much as a C when you way 77kg.

But you said you wanted to work for your team, that's the proper spirit. Just keep that attitude in mind and the rest will come.

well i knowim kind of short for a center, but as im the tallest, and 2nd tallest is 10-15 cmers shorter then me i kind of have to be, played 1 and 2 guard first 5 years when playing basketball, always was very short, i weigh 90 kg btw, so not very ''big'' also
Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #28
Sticks
Serious playground baller

Sticks has an OK reputation so far

Well sounds like my current team as well. But playing below my level due to coming back from injury and enrolling to the team late which kind of sucks. Our "center" is about your size and weight as well. And seeing as I'm the 2nd tallest guy I have to defend opposing big guys when he goes for a rest whilst playing the 2 guard spot on offense.

And then I start playing with the first team again and centers are all of a sudden 205cm+ and 100kg+ and can leap out of the gym. Gives you a different perspective when you drive to the hoop, there's your reason for me wanting to be a jumpshooter.

Make the most out of the experience though, your postmoves and experience will help you when you move into the PF/SF spot later on as it makes you a much more versatile player and it allows you to exploit match-up problems and post up on switches on Pick and Roll. It also primes you for being a rebounder which is a great asset on every spot on the floor. And it should help you understand positioning and when you do and do not want the entry-pass and where you need to throw an entry-pass. All valuable skills in Basketball.
Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #29
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Practice doesn't translate to game for most people... you have to be on another level confidence wise for that to happen. But... eventually it could, it just takes a lot of time. You should be practicing post moves tho if you are a center... i mean that's kind of standard.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #30
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote:
Practice doesn't translate to game for most people... you have to be on another level confidence wise for that to happen. But... eventually it could, it just takes a lot of time. You should be practicing post moves tho if you are a center... i mean that's kind of standard.

Well i got some, wich worked well for me in practise, but havent tried them in games, cous i kept thinking i would fail.
i most of the time, just score by fastbreaks or mid range jumpers.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: