Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #31
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Default Re: Cant function well in 5 vs 5 systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Button
Well i got some, wich worked well for me in practise, but havent tried them in games, cous i kept thinking i would fail.
i most of the time, just score by fastbreaks or mid range jumpers.

Well positive thinking may or may not work, but negative thinking does work (just heard that on the Scott Van Pelt show today ). If you think you are going to fail then you probably will. The main thing on the court is to get to a point where you aren't overthinking things, just more or less reacting. Besides, if you never try, you will never know if you are going to succeed or fail (cliche I know). What I see from most people in the post is overexcitement. They will get the ball and they are either too excited to do anything so they just pass it back out, or they just start going to work immediately and are out of control. The key with the post is to be in control, feel your defender, look for cutters/open people (you can do both at the same time), then start going to work. You can try all the moves you want, but you really only need a few to be effective in the post because because your moves are based on weight distribution. Basically a little hook, drop step lefty, and up and under would be just fine... that's all you would need. A spin move off your defender is good to have to because many time you will feel your defender putting a lot of his weight into you and that spin (if done effctively) will leave him with his pants down. If not done effectively, then you will be off balance... so do it right lol.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 06-03-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #32
Button
I dunk on 12 year olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Well positive thinking may or may not work, but negative thinking does work (just heard that on the Scott Van Pelt show today ). If you think you are going to fail then you probably will. The main thing on the court is to get to a point where you aren't overthinking things, just more or less reacting. Besides, if you never try, you will never know if you are going to succeed or fail (cliche I know). What I see from most people in the post is overexcitement. They will get the ball and they are either too excited to do anything so they just pass it back out, or they just start going to work immediately and are out of control. The key with the post is to be in control, feel your defender, look for cutters/open people (you can do both at the same time), then start going to work. You can try all the moves you want, but you really only need a few to be effective in the post because because your moves are based on weight distribution. Basically a little hook, drop step lefty, and up and under would be just fine... that's all you would need. A spin move off your defender is good to have to because many time you will feel your defender putting a lot of his weight into you and that spin (if done effctively) will leave him with his pants down. If not done effectively, then you will be off balance... so do it right lol.

I can use some of those things like the sping move and the drop steps, i already practised the fade away, close to basket, worked nice also. dont think hook shots are for me, maybe more powering through, trying to get a foul called so i can get a easy 2
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #33
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Who da fck play 5 v 5 half court.

I play, sometimes for the entire practice.
Playing 5x5 half court is about technique, vision and timming .. Play half court it's the most realistic thing to do when you try to get consistence for your team.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #34
Slimdunkin
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Ive got the exact issue, maybe crowds and stuff make you a liitle nervous and you not as comfortable. And the game is probably takin more serious by your team mates and you dont wanna mess up. I think its mostly a confidence and comfort thing. More pressure from more people in the audience and on the court
Slimdunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #35
Slimdunkin
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
I play, sometimes for the entire practice.
Playing 5x5 half court is about technique, vision and timming .. Play half court it's the most realistic thing to do when you try to get consistence for your team.

i like that idea
Slimdunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #36
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Playing 5 on 5 non-rec ball can be starkly different from pick-up basketball. It's not necessarily worse, but it's different. One of the biggest differences is the lack of open spaces inside the paint. Particularly in high school, a versed zone defense can potentially lock down the opposition. These zones are one of those things I don't really miss, looking back on my non-rec organized play.

I assist with a varsity basketball squad and often scrimmage with their second unit as a means of providing fire power for the first unit to work against. We do not have an elite program, or even an elite defense, but I still have to vastly alter my offensive approach. A 2-3 or 1-2-2 zone can really clog the paint, a paint I often like slashing through. As such, with a trio of 6'5'' 220 gentlemen clogging things up, we're often forced to operate from the outside, looking to shoot the first unit out of their zone.

I bring this up because I believe often, with a lot of high school zones and a lot of high school clubs who have mediocre offenses (or lack of deep ability to execute), the big men on the offensive end often don't get the clean looks they might see during single coverage in non-varsity games. There's not a lot of traditional "size your man up, make a move and get the paint for the finish" happening.

Often, scoring inside (or scoring for a big) will be the result of a team that can swing the ball, shift a zone, draw in defenders, and find the open man (possibly you) in position to score. Other ways for a big man to make an impact in the half court are going to come through doing all the dirty work. Offensive rebounds, solid screens (and rolling effective off of screens), boxing out, opening up opportunities for your teammates, etc. The difference between Official Real Game Playing Me and Pickup Basketball Me is that the Real Game version had to concentrate a lot more time on finding smaller, more detailed ways to contribute rather than just biding my time until I had the opportunity to do something with the ball.

Another huge way I had an effect in organized 5 on 5 games came by running the floor. Since a set zone defense can often be a nuisance on this level, I found running the floor in transition and pushing the tempo was one of the best ways to play the game my way. When you have guards that want to run, this can be a beautiful way to get involved. Just the same, perhaps one of your issues may be that you want to run, but your team does not.

It can be very easy for an undersized "big man" to get lost in a strictly half-court structured team. My advice: remain active and do the little things. As an undersized 6'4'' power forward in high school, my biggest games did not come on the days where I was just killing my man off the dribble on every possession and hitting jumper after jumper like I was on fire. Instead, my 20+ games were often made up of something like: two tip-ins (4pts total), 2 transition buckets (8 points total), a couple moves off the dribble or via back door cut (12 points total), a garbage bucket - being in the right place at the right time (14 points total), a three pointer (17 points total), and 5 to 8 Free throws made (22-25 points total).

Be resourceful.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: