Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: How many miles do you run to stay in b-ball shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
oh for sure, i appreciate the input, no doubt. I'm familiar w/ high intensity interval training and it's an amazing workout w/ out question. i usually do it running up a hill, at the beach or football field. i'll give it a go on the threadmill. thanks again.

Sounds like a plan. Hill work is great too.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #17
Kobe8
Banned

Kobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I would never run to stay in bball shape. I would only play basketball to stay in bball shape... if I couldn't run games, I would find a court somewhere and simulate a game (run up and down the court, shoot jumpers, drive hard, etc.). Running itself is only 1 part of the game... you can run all you want, but your vert is going to suffer as is every other explosive part of your game (Quickness, agility, acceleration) if you don't train them.

I don't really see why if you have time to run you don't have time to ball tho.

Yeah , this ..

I hate running , and I just wanna play ball .. while you do that you gain stamina
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #18
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'll add this though. There have been times where I asked myself, "Does running a few miles really make me better on the basketball court?" and I'll wonder and sometimes I'll decide not to do it. However, if it's between sitting at home, not playing basketball, or doing anything at all vs. going out for a run, then I say run.

I do believe it makes a big difference stamina wise, for what it's worth. If anything, I'm more confident and know I can run longer than others on the floor.

Rip Hamilton is big on distance running, if that helps. I think I read he runs 3 miles (key word "runs") every day in the off season.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'll add this though. There have been times where I asked myself, "Does running a few miles really make me better on the basketball court?" and I'll wonder and sometimes I'll decide not to do it. However, if it's between sitting at home, not playing basketball, or doing anything at all vs. going out for a run, then I say run.

I do believe it makes a big difference stamina wise, for what it's worth. If anything, I'm more confident and know I can run longer than others on the floor.

Rip Hamilton is big on distance running, if that helps. I think I read he runs 3 miles (key word "runs") every day in the off season.

The problem with distance running is it has a tendency to produce overuse injuries. Now the distance runners will defend that to their death, but unless one is a distance runner, there really is no benefit. One could say if you were overweight you could benefit from distance running, but again, overweight equals overload on the joints, so even the slightest abnormal gait pattern will be amplified.

So IMO, if you are slightly overweight, do intervals on the bike until you reach the desired weight. If training for basketball, play basketball or use short distance sprinting split into different cycles, one day is a short distance, explosive, short duration workout and the other is a short duration, slightly less explosive, yet longer in duration workout.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
jesingle
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jesingle has an OK reputation so far

I usually never run for fun. That shiz is a pain. The best way to get in basketball shape is to play basketball
jesingle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: