Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Default Handling the ball?

I'm losing my ability to handle the basketball in an open court. In transition I'm pretty good, but it seems lately when I try and start a break in traffic the defense closes in on me and I turn the ball over or make a terrible pass. In the half court, when I try to cross my man up, I sometimes get the ball picked out from me.

How can I improve this? I can do the stationary dribbling drills pretty well but it seems like my actual game handle is weak.

Saw a basketball once jerzymade's Avatar

Default Re: Handling the ball?

well to me it sounds like the ball is too much into your palm. Idk i could be wrong but how you described it sounds like your not using your fingers or finger pads some ppl call it. To me stationary drills are pointless because it not really simulating a game situation. What i did was first of all i dribbled everyday, second i pounded the ball which could be another reason. Because if you aren't dribbling the ball hard enough you wont get a lot of backspin which helps with the finger pad control. It's like a give and take situation. IF you give a little expect like in return. SO pound the ball to get a better control. Work on pounding the ball on your crossovers and game like dribbles. Like i said earlier i never did drills but i practice game like moves full court for hrs when i was younger and i pounded the ball. Sorry this was an unorganized and unnecessarily long post/

dedicate

dribble in a lower stance

get your entire non dribbling side of the body out in front of the dribble

practice the above in full court setting, just keep changing directions every 2~3 dribbles

get someone to play defense and rough you up as you change directions

you gona be slow at first but once you get it down, it will be hard to pick off your dribble without fouling you

things you can do immediately to avoid the problems you see now is to allow more space between you and your defender when you cross over , if you do it too close up, it's easy to get picked. from a stand still i usually cross the guy when there's a good 1~2 person gap between me my defender. in a fast break, i do it 2~3 person gap. never allow defense to close in on you. it should be the other way around.

you can probably do less of the stationary dribbles. i think it's great for beginners to build up the fundamental or for people who wants to develop better touch. but i dont think that's where your problem is right now

NBA Superstar

Great advice, fellas. I'll reiterate three things mentioned that I am sure to use in order to keep my handle tight:

1) Pound the ball when dribbling (and especially while practicing dribbling).

It's a little underrated by some outlets. There seems to be more concern on what dribble movies can be pulled off rather than at what speed. My reasoning for this type of practice is to get my handle tighter, quicker and stronger. I ask myself, "What's harder to pick off, a soft cross over, or a hard and fast one?" Further, a stronger dribble will allow for more maneuverability.

I warm up every day by just super pounding the ball in my hand for a few minutes. If nothing else, it gets the blood flowing in my hands, which gives me a better feel for the ball.

2) Dribble Lower

Again, even a slightly lower dribble may mean it can be twice as difficult for a defense to rip you off the bounce. Further, it'll also once again improve maneuverability, for the ball is returning to your hand quicker and more frequently, creating a reduction in the amount of time one must way for the ball in empty space. On top of everything else, every dribbling move ever is ten times easier to pull off in a lower stance.

And again to quote 623 Baller:

3) Practice your ballhandling against a real, live, active defender

I do believe in solo dribbling drills when that's all that's available. But I definitely believe there's no better way to improve ballhandling than by learning through trial and error while playing against people who will punish your mistakes. It suddenly becomes clear how much one must clean up their handles in order to succeed. It creates a clear goal to reach.

My game handle isn't very good either because I have hardly played... but you have to do full court dribbling drills full speed, and also just just keep dribbling in games... keep trying. You will get some success and your confidence will go up. I played for the first time in well over 3 months yesterday and I got picked once bringing the ball up the court, and got picked from behind once. My handle was trash becuase I am not used to A. playign 5 on 5, and B, playing against swarming pressure defense (they were bringing a lot of doubles). Experience is your best friend, just keep at it and don't get down. Just continue to try and get better. Eventually you will get to the point where the defense is more afraid of getting shook then you are of turning it over.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Thanks for the tips, I used to have a little bit of a handle but I guess it degraded to now it's shaky even in an open court fast break.

I'll definitely do the full court dribbling drills, they work even when you're by yourself right?

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Eventually you will get to the point where the defense is more afraid of getting shook then you are of turning it over.
    The ultimate goal is for the other player to fear me offensively and defensively... too bad I'm not that imposing. I'm more annoying on defense than intimidating.

Yeah pounding the ball builds finger, wrist and arm strength. You will know if your going hard is when after your done with the pound drill you will feel it. Idk but if i haven't played ball in a long time i never really lose my handle, the ball just feels weird on my fingers, but you can never lose the coordination part.

this happens to me at times. What you got to do is go back to the basics. figure 8s, around the world, pound the ball, etc. This will help you regain your feel for the basketball.

yeah don't mean to bump this but i wanted to say this, When i person learns the fundamentals of dribbling you usually hear "don't let the palm touch the ball" and "use your fingertips". It sounds basic but is really misleading (i was going to make a thread but i can't because i need my account to be activated or something). (Back to the topic) I had talked to the best ball handler on my team when i was growing up (AAU). I ask him if he can keep the ball off his palm. He said "no, the ball bounces on some of my palm not the whole thing. Another thing is that with that misconception a player finds themselves thinking about trying to prevent the ball from touching the palm. Which effects the rest of their game. Now the fingertips, dribbling, passing and shooting all use the same grip. The correct name is the fingerpads, which are the whole fingers, and pads under them here are examples of the fingerpads which are used for passing shooting and dribbling http://www.breakoutbasketball.com/ti..._06182007.html i use example one. Tips or info for players that didn't know

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jerzymade
    yeah don't mean to bump this but i wanted to say this, When i person learns the fundamentals of dribbling you usually hear "don't let the palm touch the ball" and "use your fingertips". It sounds basic but is really misleading (i was going to make a thread but i can't because i need my account to be activated or something). (Back to the topic) I had talked to the best ball handler on my team when i was growing up (AAU). I ask him if he can keep the ball off his palm. He said "no, the ball bounces on some of my palm not the whole thing. Another thing is that with that misconception a player finds themselves thinking about trying to prevent the ball from touching the palm. Which effects the rest of their game. Now the fingertips, dribbling, passing and shooting all use the same grip. The correct name is the fingerpads, which are the whole fingers, and pads under them here are examples of the fingerpads which are used for passing shooting and dribbling http://www.breakoutbasketball.com/ti..._06182007.html i use example one. Tips or info for players that didn't know
    Nice reply, repped

Well since this thread was bumped... I played again on Sunday (2nd time playing in 3 months... but 2nd in 5 days) and my handle was almost back to where it was. It was so bad last Tuesday that I almost didn't know what to do with myself I had to go the park on Friday and do full court dribbling/finishing drills... and that seemed to really help because I had no problems and was confident out there on Sunday. I definitely have to recommend those full court drills... they really help with your control at higher speeds and also because it takes a lot of dribbles to get down court. I basically just freestyle my way up and down the court and envision defenders trying to stop me. I call it the John Wall drill
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 11-10-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ2k8
    Nice reply, repped
    thanks, i think it just misleading how alot of young players were taught. Drills wise i would say repetition that's all you need to get better. You don't even need to dribble the ball to get better. I have seen alot of professional players do simple drills such as around the world, figure eights, pound dribbles, swing the purse etc. But yeah i feel dribbling is alot easier than what most ppl make it out to be.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

yeah, you guys are right about the drills once again. I don't know how to explain it, but it seems that handling the ball is based off of reaction and how good you are dribbing for me. I used to just focus on reaction exercises and was able to pull off the crossover perfectly when someone tries to reach in. I couldn't pull off advanced stuff like crossover-spin move-behind the back-reverse layup or something until I started doing drills. My mistake was working on the drills most of the past summer and not working on my reaction anymore. It's just an example to warn people :O WORK ON EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR GAME.

cone drills are really good in improving handles. If you don't have cones then use imagination not just in dribbling but throughout your workouts. IF you imagine a swarming defender or a nba idol that helps keep the intensity up. Which make your practices efficient. your workouts should be about quality than quantity. I learn that players that were good players spend less time practicing than bad players that spend three hours on the court . Why because the good players have a more intense workout and get ten times the results than, someone shooting the ball and jogging around the court .

College superstar

One of the most important aspects of ball handling, isn't really ball handling. It's learning to use your other hand and your body to protect the ball. Always put yourself or your other hand in a position that keeps your opponent from being able to get to the ball cleanly.