Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 06-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Lester Conner gone, Walter McCarty in?

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...nner-departing

Quote:
Indiana Pacers lead assistant coach Lester Conner will not return next season, multiple people with knowledge of the situation said.

Every Pacers assistant coach's contract expires June 30. Dick Harter left after the season. The status of assistants Frank Vogel, Dan Burke and Jay DeFruscio is unknown.

O'Brien could promote a current assistant to the lead role or look outside the franchise, possibly to a former head coach.

Louisville coach Rick Pitino posted on his website Wednesday that Walter McCarty will interview with the Pacers "sometime next week."

O'Brien was an assistant at Kentucky when McCarty played there. O'Brien later coached McCarty in Boston.

This is awful if the case. I assume WALTAH! to be an O'Brien yes man. The dude was Troy Murphy before Troy Murphy, PF playing like a tall SG. All next year I was preparing myself to keep saying "well, soon as we fire JOB Conner'll take over and we might have a diamond in the rough."

I guess JOB only does have the one year left, no one sees him coming back after that, so the options are limited. Maybe Conner's being proactive and he knows for a FACT none of the staff's back after next year so he's getting the jump on a new gig. Right?!

Last edited by InspiredLebowski : 06-09-2010 at 04:26 PM.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
tj#5
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: Lester Conner gone, Walter McCarty in?

Oh no. I really liked Conner when he came in and coached a few games when O'Brien was dealing with family issues last season, and unfortunately I believe we are sending the wrong coach out. Personally, I think Conner could be a much better head coach than Jim O'Brien is going to be, but obviously the rest of the Pacers organization doesn't agree. Hopefully we get someone who actually knows how to coach, and not a guy like McCarty who will just go along with whatever O'Brien says. Conner questioned O'Brien's system because it isn't working, and now he's gone because of it.
tj#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...nner-departing

This is awful if the case. I assume WALTAH! to be an O'Brien yes man. The dude was Troy Murphy before Troy Murphy, PF playing like a tall SG. "

similar offensive styles but i wouldn't compare the 2 so closely. Murph is way better than McCarty ever was. wow, we're cleaning house lately.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
similar offensive styles but i wouldn't compare the 2 so closely. Murph is way better than McCarty ever was. wow, we're cleaning house lately.
Yeah, I just meant playing style, not so much being comparable talent wise. At least it seems like I'll have a full year to look at college coaches and assistants from other teams to pick who I want to be the next coach. The 6ers just nabbed Quin Snyder, he was on my radar.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: