Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 11-13-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
deadissue34
Can barely lace up my sneakers

deadissue34 has an OK reputation so far
Default Fire Doc Rivers NOW!!!

I’ve had it! In the Utah game he’s faced with a situation (in a game we can win), where Sloan takes out Fisher and inserts another big, with the front line consisting of Kirilenko, Boozer and Okur. Doc responds by taking out Ryan Gomes (at the time the tallest player we had on the floor) and bringing in another guard, making Pierce the center. We can’t cover their guys on the post and we can’t pull down a rebound. We lose the game. Tonight we’re playing Orlando and what does he do as Aziza heads to the line for 2 shots? If he hits both, Orlando is up by 3 with about a minute left. Aziza isn’t that good of a free throw shooter, so a rebound is likely. Doc pulls out Perkins and “goes small”…Aziza misses the second and the substitution equals an offensive rebound by Turkoglo, who Perkins would have been on had he remained in the game.Compounding Doc’s stupidity in terms of personell is that Orlando was able to call the exact same play twice in a row with under a minute left and beat us with it both times. On the first play, Nelson runs the pick and roll, and Gomes automatically switches with Rondo. Nelson crosses him over and drives right past for two. After a timeout, where Doc has a moment to draw up something new on defense, what happens? Nelson again gets a pick, and Gomes again automatically switches with Rondo…two points.

Here’s what I posted last time on Rivers, and I challenge anyone who disagrees to tell me how I’m wrong.

http://deadissue.com/archives/2006/1...-to-dust-off-…

It’s not to say that Doc doesn’t have a head full of good basketball smarts; he’s just a horrible head coach. At least Jim O’Brien’s teams weren’t providing every team that came into town an easy 50% shooting night and any matchup they wanted at any time. At least Obie could wrap his head around what was happening right in front of his face and adjust. With the leadership of Doc Rivers to rely on, the players are doomed to fail on the defensive end, night in night out. He’ll never understand it. So if Danny Ainge hasn’t realized this fact just yet, then perhaps he’s not the man for his job either!
deadissue34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Right, but who do you suggest the Celts hire? We have to have a plan on who to hire before we go fire crazy. I don't want another Jim O' situation here.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:01 AM   #3
deadissue34
Can barely lace up my sneakers

deadissue34 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
Right, but who do you suggest the Celts hire? We have to have a plan on who to hire before we go fire crazy. I don't want another Jim O' situation here.

Promote the top assistant and begin a search for the next guy. Sometimes the replacement was actually the guy, just needed a chance. This team can win games if they have someone who can harness this tallent on the defense end and take advantage of mismatches. They don't do anything to disrupt what the opponent is trying to do in their half court offense. All they do is react to the play and hope for the best. I'd take O'Brien back if he was willing to take the job. This team has a lot more tallent than the teams he was left with.
deadissue34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Yeah but this team doesn't coincide with O'Brien type of offense. O'Brien harnessed walking up the court and isolating a 2 on 2 man game with and Antoine while everyone else would be kick out men. I don't think I'd trust him with this squad which is built on speed.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Kemosabe
High School Varsity 6th Man

Kemosabe has decent reputation

Definitely i think Rivers isnt the right coach to this team.
I had his chances and blown them.
I agree with the promoting a assistent coach idea. Boston needs a fresh start.
Kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

In the event of a firing, I'd want Adelman to teach the team offense or bring back Jim O'Brien and commit to his D...his offense wasn't good, but the team won a decent amount of games with his d and a guy like Rondo that can just create for teammates doesn't need a highly structured offense, and he'd be a great fit defensively. The team has a few good individual defenders (Perkins, Rondo, West, Ratliff, and Tony Allen...though Allen would need more direction offensively than O'Brien gave) that could be formed into a cohesive defensive unit with the proper guidance. O'Brien may even be able to turn Gerald Green into a stopper, with Green's physical gifts. Perhaps see what it would take to lure Larry Brown over here.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Ew Brown? I'll take a large PASS on him.(See how he handles young talent, BAD)
Old 11-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Not really. He doesn't like to play rookies over vets but that doesn't mean that he doesn't teach them anything. Except for NY he's had a a positive effect on every team he's coached, and in NY he wasn't granted free reign to deal with players as he saw fit.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:31 PM   #9
C2geez
I Hit Open Layups

C2geez has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Not really. He doesn't like to play rookies over vets but that doesn't mean that he doesn't teach them anything. Except for NY he's had a a positive effect on every team he's coached, and in NY he wasn't granted free reign to deal with players as he saw fit.

I think we all need to just face the music. The C's just aren't repected in this league. Here is a team that can be as exciting to watch as any team in this
league, the problem is when thier in a game other teams are given the benefit of the doubt. I don't want to pick on officials because the really do a good job and everything is fast past, but they have their teams that they dont mind blowing whistles on. The C's can get up on a team and the other team is allowed to get back in games. When they're down they're kept down. I've seen to many games were the C's try and play as agressive as who they're playing but to many time the whistle blows against them when they
have a chance to change the game. I watched the Utah game and saw Andrei Kirilenko come from the other side of the court created the contack on Paul Pierce and flop to get the call and he got it, now if the C's were still down 18 points it would have been let go, but because it could have changed the game buy putting the C's n position to possibly win.. he got the
whistle. that's just one of the many things that happen with them, they can't play because the whistle constantly blows.
C2geez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #10
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Please don't blame the team's struggles on the whistles. Most of us have seen the Cs with regularity, and seen the team turn the ball over. Only Orlando does it more, but they compensate with good shooting and good defense. The Celtics only have average shooting and poor defense. And with Paul Pierce shooting more free throws than anyone how can you say that this team isn't getting calls? That actually reminds me of a third major flaw: failure to hit free throws. The team loses because they constantly fail to capitalize on opportunitis, not because the refs are against the Celtics.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #11
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Me thinks Doc isn't gonna be around much longer.

Some of the lineups he throws out there are just baffling. Its almost like he's just experementing just in case something works out.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #12
Lebowski
Sweden Loves the Green

Lebowski has decent reputation

Anything in the Boston media about this ?

Dont know what to think, havent seen any games yet so. But after reading here what's been going on it does not seem to be a, a, uhm, perfect fit.
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool

Celtics are a pretty good team and they have some great players. They are just going through a stage. They will get over it and be a pretty good team. No need to go firing anybody just yet.
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:50 AM   #14
braden.
Great young streetballer

braden. has decent reputation

Keeping Doc Rivers is the best thing that could happen to this team. They'd have a terrific shot at Oden.
braden. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:03 PM   #15
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

I don't blame Rivers for the whole blown lead, but the last two plays...hmm.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: