Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 05:38 AM   #16
JustinJDW
....
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,521
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

Yeah, I'm trying to work on my Pul-Up jumper too. Pull-Up jumpers, mid-range jumpers and shooting off the dribble are the main things I'm working on this Summer. I'm a great stand still shooter, but I want to become a better overall shooter.

I'm really good at cutting screens and moving off the ball, so I'm trying to utilize that talent by working on my mid-range game. Pull-up jumpers and shots of the dribble. That kind of thing.

It takes serious practice. You got to get up high. My shots different with pull-up jumpers. (Probably not a good thing, but I said I'm workin on it, lol). You got to plant your feet and get up high. Then of course, you have to time that release. But the hardest part for me is body control after the jump. Thats the key to pull up jumpers.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #17
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,688
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
I'm not sure how high I should jump when I shoot, or at what point to release the ball. I'm most comfortable just barely getting off the ground on my jumpers, but that doesn't give me enough elevation to shoot over a defender. Any advice or videos would be helpful.

Beating the defender to your spot, jumping quickly and under control, getting square to the rim, and a quick release are more important than how high you jump.

I know some folks advocate the hard dribble, but a really good defender will key off that.

Offense in basketball is like playing WR in football. You know...or should know... where you're going. The defender doesn't. Unless you're seriously undersized for your position on the floor, you don't need lots of tricks to create necessary separation.

Practice to make sure you jump straight up off your plant regardless of the direction you're moving. High Jumpers use the trick of running full speed, turning, planting and jumping to touch a point (ball suspended by a string works well) at the desired height directly above their plant mark. Work on being able to do that, jumping and landing inside a circle you've drawn at the spot of your plant. You can do it repeatedly without a ball or hoop just to get the mechanics.

It's all about converting horizontal speed into vertical thrust while remaining under control, eyes focused, shoulders square. Make the run/plant/jump motion so second nature that you don't have to think about it. Then your natural jumper will flow.

Work hard. Good luck. You'll be surprised to find the harder you work, the luckier you'll get.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #18
scm5
Good college starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,039
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

I have about a 30 inch standing vertical which I think is decent. I don't get up very high at ALL on my jumpers because it never felt very comfortable to do so. As a result, my shots were sometimes easily blocked.

However, I have since changed my pull back and release points to higher over my head and rarely get blocked anymore. Something I've noticed since changing my release, I actually naturally elevate a little higher now because of the higher release. Not much higher, but slightly.

This is my reasoning:

My shot naturally takes longer now, I have to elevate it higher over my head before I shoot. Because of this, I have compensated on pull up jumpers by pulling my arms up faster than usual, creating more upwards momentum than I normally get.

In my original shot, only about 1/4 of the ball was actually directly over my head. My shot now has the entire ball directly over my head at it's furthest point in the "**** back" motion of the jumper.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #19
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star
 
Birmingham1955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 625
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
I'm not sure how high I should jump when I shoot, or at what point to release the ball. I'm most comfortable just barely getting off the ground on my jumpers, but that doesn't give me enough elevation to shoot over a defender. Any advice or videos would be helpful.

Jumping on a jump shot is overrated. A prime example is Stephon Curry, he is arguably the best shooter in the NBA. At just 6'3, isn't that athlete for an NBA player. He barely gets off the ground for his jump shots, and don't even think he gets off the ground, but he has one of the sweetest fastest releases you can imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRXGg...eature=related
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #20
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
I have about a 30 inch standing vertical which I think is decent. I don't get up very high at ALL on my jumpers because it never felt very comfortable to do so. As a result, my shots were sometimes easily blocked.

In my original shot, only about 1/4 of the ball was actually directly over my head. My shot now has the entire ball directly over my head at it's furthest point in the "**** back" motion of the jumper.

I'm exactly the same. I have the same vertical but when jumping for a shot I'm below 6 inches. I hold the ball pretty high, but not too high. It's above my forehead, probably around the OJ Mayo height.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
Jumping on a jump shot is overrated. A prime example is Stephon Curry, he is arguably the best shooter in the NBA. At just 6'3, isn't that athlete for an NBA player. He barely gets off the ground for his jump shots, and don't even think he gets off the ground, but he has one of the sweetest fastest releases you can imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRXGg...eature=related

That vid was nice, his shot looks so fluid. After seeing that I also looked for a video on Monta Ellis's shot, it's quick also and not too high off the ground. Keep in mind that Ellis is an incredible athlete also, but he doesn't jump too high when shooting.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #21
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner
 
thejumpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,405
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
Jumping on a jump shot is overrated. A prime example is Stephon Curry, he is arguably the best shooter in the NBA. At just 6'3, isn't that athlete for an NBA player. He barely gets off the ground for his jump shots, and don't even think he gets off the ground, but he has one of the sweetest fastest releases you can imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRXGg...eature=related

Huh? For 99% of the ballers out there, jumping on a jumpshot is pretty important. If you don't, youre a set shooter who needs to spot up. Low elevation on your shot means it's tougher to shoot over defenders and you essentially become easier to guard. Steph Curry is a horrible example because he has practiced that technique for years and is in the NBA. And he's not that short either. There is a reason why no one else in the league shoots like that.

OP...I use to shoot with little elevation but it got to the point where my shot was inconsistent, kinda flat, and I kept getting blocked by guys 2-3 inches shorter than me. After I started to get my legs underneath me, it helped me like crazy. I try to release the ball at the peak of my jump and it has made my shot 100x more smooth and consistent. I read somewhere that MJ use to jump 30" of the ground at times for his jumper. Obviously I can't do that but I really do try to jump as high as I can. It helps me knock down pull up J's, spot up shots, off the dribble....whatever. Even catch and shoots. Working out your calves/legs is must....

Of course, this could just be me so IDK. All I know is that my brother shoots with no elevation and if I stay with him(he's quicker), it makes him so much easier to guard and his shot easier to contest. I play with guys who are the same height as him (5'10), WITH elevation....and it's a world of difference. Much harder to guard and contest.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
Ghettobird
Banned
 
Ghettobird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 363
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

good read
Ghettobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #23
mjkittredge
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

Make sure you look at the rim before you start the shooting motion. Remember that after picking up the dribble you can take two steps in any direction - sometimes I take two short really quick ones just to get my balance & stability before jumping. You may want to go straight up once you pick up the dribble for speed if that gives you an advantage against the defense. If the defense is playing you tight and is trying to block you, like others here have said, put it up above or behind your head so you get a high release - much harder to block that way. If that type of shot doesn't work for you, a fast release is another good way to beat the defense. I've had shorter players get off shots in my face just because they had really fast releases on their pull up jumpers - by the time I realized they were shooting and started to lunge in and put my hand up the ball had already left their hand and it was too late.

I'd recommend shooting as you're still going up with your jump. Once you reach the apex (highest point) of your jump you lose your upwards momentum which often makes players shots come up short and have very little arc on them. If you're moving in a direction other than straight up, it can help to try and bank the shot in off the glass. I also like to pick a spot on the floor to get to for the pull up, like the left side from an angle. Smart defenders try to force right handed players to go left, but if you're comfortable going left you've got the advantage.

The great thing about pull up jumpers is that a lot of times the defense will give it to you and fall back to protect the basket from layups. So if you can consistently make them the defender has to choose between playing you tight and potentially giving up the drive or hoping you start to miss and this will open up more options for you. Take what the defense gives you.
mjkittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #24
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
jerzymade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

you have to stay low always. For one thing you will have better control of the dribble because your low. You will have a better base. And you will have a better explosion form your knees rather than if you were upright. SO just stay low and work on you footwork and balance and it really is, is balance.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #25
lilojmayo
#lovethat32
 
lilojmayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,626
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJDW
Yeah, I'm trying to work on my Pul-Up jumper too. Pull-Up jumpers, mid-range jumpers and shooting off the dribble are the main things I'm working on this Summer. I'm a great stand still shooter, but I want to become a better overall shooter.

I'm really good at cutting screens and moving off the ball, so I'm trying to utilize that talent by working on my mid-range game. Pull-up jumpers and shots of the dribble. That kind of thing.

It takes serious practice. You got to get up high. My shots different with pull-up jumpers. (Probably not a good thing, but I said I'm workin on it, lol). You got to plant your feet and get up high. Then of course, you have to time that release. But the hardest part for me is body control after the jump. Thats the key to pull up jumpers.

Those are good things to work on man. For the op, I would say moreso then trying to get a lot of elevation, is emphasis really using your legs. like you want to feel that dip down, then going into our normal shooting motion. That is what did the trick for myself, when I was learning to make my game more dynamic from being just a set shooting, to having the baility to shoot off the dribble, off balance etc etc shooter
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #26
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

What is the most efficient way to bring the ball from your dribble to shot pocket? I have extremely short arms, so my poor standing reach means it doesn't take a good defender to contest my shot. Usually by the time I'm in the air for a shot, the defender is up in my face and I'm forced to either pass it off or take a bad shot. I also don't jump very high while shooting.

I've tried experimenting with different things, the hard dribble, changing my release point; as of right now the way I do it is I drive at my defender like I'm going to penetrate then I stop on my inside foot and kind of fade back.

Sometimes I try shooting it like Kevin Durant also, shoot the ball right in front of my face so I don't have to waste time getting it above my forehead. But this requires extreme precision and isn't a good look for me. So what's the best way to really master the pull up?

My vertical isn't bad, but like others have mentioned it's not about how high you jump. So what are the ways I can really boost it? It's the weakest part of my game and my short height dictates that I should have a solid shot to be effective.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #27
623baller
dedicate
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 186
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
What is the most efficient way to bring the ball from your dribble to shot pocket? I have extremely short arms, so my poor standing reach means it doesn't take a good defender to contest my shot. Usually by the time I'm in the air for a shot, the defender is up in my face and I'm forced to either pass it off or take a bad shot. I also don't jump very high while shooting.

I've tried experimenting with different things, the hard dribble, changing my release point; as of right now the way I do it is I drive at my defender like I'm going to penetrate then I stop on my inside foot and kind of fade back.

Sometimes I try shooting it like Kevin Durant also, shoot the ball right in front of my face so I don't have to waste time getting it above my forehead. But this requires extreme precision and isn't a good look for me. So what's the best way to really master the pull up?

My vertical isn't bad, but like others have mentioned it's not about how high you jump. So what are the ways I can really boost it? It's the weakest part of my game and my short height dictates that I should have a solid shot to be effective.

quicker release
get open through screens and fake cuts
drive at your defender and take it all the way to the rack
start from triple threat position
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
Venom
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 298
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
What is the most efficient way to bring the ball from your dribble to shot pocket? I have extremely short arms, so my poor standing reach means it doesn't take a good defender to contest my shot. Usually by the time I'm in the air for a shot, the defender is up in my face and I'm forced to either pass it off or take a bad shot. I also don't jump very high while shooting.

I've tried experimenting with different things, the hard dribble, changing my release point; as of right now the way I do it is I drive at my defender like I'm going to penetrate then I stop on my inside foot and kind of fade back.

Sometimes I try shooting it like Kevin Durant also, shoot the ball right in front of my face so I don't have to waste time getting it above my forehead. But this requires extreme precision and isn't a good look for me. So what's the best way to really master the pull up?

My vertical isn't bad, but like others have mentioned it's not about how high you jump. So what are the ways I can really boost it? It's the weakest part of my game and my short height dictates that I should have a solid shot to be effective.

My method: Determine when you want to bring the ball up from your dribble, and start to gather your feet. As you do that, you catch the last dribble, go into triple threat, and raise up so shoot, all in one fluid motion. My jumpshot used to be really slow which gave defenders plenty of time to get up and swat it. Instead of bring the ball up, arching it, and releasing, it all becomes one motion.

The best way to master your jumpshot is to find a rhythm that works and stick to it. You must have the same jump, the same release time, and the same footwork every single time.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 PM   #29
623baller
dedicate
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 186
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
My method: Determine when you want to bring the ball up from your dribble, and start to gather your feet. As you do that, you catch the last dribble, go into triple threat, and raise up so shoot, all in one fluid motion. My jumpshot used to be really slow which gave defenders plenty of time to get up and swat it. Instead of bring the ball up, arching it, and releasing, it all becomes one motion.

The best way to master your jumpshot is to find a rhythm that works and stick to it. You must have the same jump, the same release time, and the same footwork every single time.

venoms got it
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #30
DUP
ambition
 
DUP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 443
Default Re: I Need Some Advice On Pull-up Jumpers

easiest thing to practice in basketball hands down
DUP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy