Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 06-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
TrueDiesel3

Default Who plays weak-side and strong-side LBs in the NFL?

It's hard for me to tell, It's obvious who plays the MLB in the league....Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, etc. but It's hard for me to tell who plays weak-side and strong-side LBs in the league, so anybody want to help me out?

The only player I know that plays weak-side LB and I know that for sure if Lance Briggs. Derrick Brooks use to play that, but he's retired so....who wants to help me out?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who plays weak-side and strong-side LBs in the NFL?

weak side would be the ROLB and the strong would be the LOLB...in general...unless the opposing team's strong side happens to be the opposite maybe...cause the QB is left handed...

I don't hear that term used much with LBs anymore though...never heard Ware reffered to as a "weak-side linebacker"...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
TrueDiesel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
weak side would be the ROLB and the strong would be the LOLB...in general...unless the opposing team's strong side happens to be the opposite maybe...cause the QB is left handed...

I don't hear that term used much with LBs anymore though...never heard Ware reffered to as a "weak-side linebacker"...
Well, weak-side is the one that typically defends the one that has no TEs and that's what Ware does, same with Dumervil. Basically DEs playing LBs in a 3-4 defense trying to get sacks. Isn't the weak-side in a 4-3 defense, typically for those who are good at coverage?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDiesel3
Well, weak-side is the one that typically defends the one that has no TEs and that's what Ware does, same with Dumervil. Basically DEs playing LBs in a 3-4 defense trying to get sacks. Isn't the weak-side in a 4-3 defense, typically for those who are good at coverage?
the weak side is (in general) is the QB's blind side...in most cases the TE would line up at the right (assuming the QB is right handed), but could line up anywhere...or come with 2 TEs even...

that wiki page doesn't do a good job of explaining it, but like I said, I don't hear that term used much in refference to LBs anyway...

most of the time you just have you best rusher at ROLB and your best pass defender at LOLB
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
TrueDiesel3

Quote:
the weak side is (in general) is the QB's blind side...in most cases the TE would line up at the right (assuming the QB is right handed), but could line up anywhere...or come with 2 TEs even...

that wiki page doesn't do a good job of explaining it, but like I said, I don't hear that term used much in refference to LBs anyway...

most of the time you just have you best rusher at ROLB and your best pass defender at LOLB
I'll take that you don't understand what you are talking about, anyways I'm not hear to debate what a weak side or strong side is because I know what they are. Strong side LBs line up with the side of a TE and the Weak side LBs line up with the side that doesn't have a TE. It's clear to me you probably never played football in your life, or at least organized football.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDiesel3
I'll take that you don't understand what you are talking about, anyways I'm not hear to debate what a weak side or strong side is because I know what they are. Strong side LBs line up with the side of a TE and the Weak side LBs line up with the side that doesn't have a TE. It's clear to me you probably never played football in your life, or at least organized football.
and you would be wrong, not only did I play organzined football but for a time I also played a little TE...and RB...and WR....and CB

the weak or strong side could be either side, yes, but IN GENERAL the strong side is usually the side the QB throws too (usually where the TE lines up because of that) and the weak side is his blind side...

if you are going to to come in hear and ask questions and then accuse the people that give you answers of not knowing anything then don't ask...

I have tried to say this 3 times now but you don't seem to listen:

ROLB: usually the best pass rusher on the team, blitz alot because he is facing the Qb's back (usually the weak side)

LOLB: usually the best pass defender, run stopper, because he is facing the QB's front (usually the strong side)
Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

this convo is funny
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

I am not even sure what the hell he is asking anymore...

Quote:
Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, etc. but It's hard for me to tell who plays weak-side and strong-side LBs in the league, so anybody want to help me out?

the outside linebackers are weak and strong, did you just want names?

Ware, Harrison, Merriman, ect...???

I hate kids...
Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation here

I believe strong side is the side where the tight end is lined up

Edit: According to Wikipedia

Strongside linebacker

The strongside linebacker (SLB) is often nicknamed "Sam" for purposes of calling a blitz. Since the strong side of the offensive team is the side on which the tight end lines up, or whichever side contains the most personnel, the strongside linebacker usually lines up across from the tight end. Often the strongside linebacker will be called upon to tackle the running back on a play, because the back will be following the tight end's block. He is most often the strongest linebacker; at the least he possesses the ability to withstand, shed, and fight off blocks from a TE or a FB blocking the backside of a pass play. The linebacker should also have strong safety abilities in pass situation to cover the tight end in man on man situations. He should also have considerable quickness to read and get into coverage in zone situations.

Weakside linebacker

The weakside linebacker, or "Will", must be the fastest of the three, because he is often the one called into pass coverage. He is also usually chasing the play from the backside, so the ability to maneuver through traffic is a necessity for Will. Will usually aligns off the line of scrimmage at the same depth as Mike. Because of his position on the weakside, Will does not often have to face large interior linemen one on one unless one is pulling. In coverage, Will often covers the back that attacks his side of the field first in man coverage, while covering the weak flat or hook/curl areas in zone coverage. In a 3-4 defense the "Will" Linebacker plays on the "weakside" of the two middle Linebacker positions and a 4th Linebacker comes in to play the weakside. Known as a "Rush", "Rover", "Jack" and/or "Buck" Linebacker, their responsibility is more pass rush based but often is called into run stop (gap control) and pass coverage.

Last edited by jazz873 : 06-17-2010 at 08:53 PM.
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

/faceplam

okay, apparently I didn't do a good job of explaining...

yes, the TE lines up on the strong side, which is also usually the the QB's front side, which (because just about every QB is right handed) is the right side....making the the ROLB facing the weak side and the LOLB facing the strong...

^^^ does that make sense?

the strong side could be the opposite though if the play calls for it to be, and in today's NFL the TE could be f*ckin ANYWHERE...a TE will line up in the backfeild or even in the slot...or there could be 2 TEs, even 3

does anyone even use the term "weak-side LB" anymore though?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
I believe strong side is the side where the tight end is lined up

Edit: According to Wikipedia

Strongside linebacker

The strongside linebacker (SLB) is often nicknamed "Sam" for purposes of calling a blitz. Since the strong side of the offensive team is the side on which the tight end lines up, or whichever side contains the most personnel, the strongside linebacker usually lines up across from the tight end. Often the strongside linebacker will be called upon to tackle the running back on a play, because the back will be following the tight end's block. He is most often the strongest linebacker; at the least he possesses the ability to withstand, shed, and fight off blocks from a TE or a FB blocking the backside of a pass play. The linebacker should also have strong safety abilities in pass situation to cover the tight end in man on man situations. He should also have considerable quickness to read and get into coverage in zone situations.

Weakside linebacker

The weakside linebacker, or "Will", must be the fastest of the three, because he is often the one called into pass coverage. He is also usually chasing the play from the backside, so the ability to maneuver through traffic is a necessity for Will. Will usually aligns off the line of scrimmage at the same depth as Mike. Because of his position on the weakside, Will does not often have to face large interior linemen one on one unless one is pulling. In coverage, Will often covers the back that attacks his side of the field first in man coverage, while covering the weak flat or hook/curl areas in zone coverage. In a 3-4 defense the "Will" Linebacker plays on the "weakside" of the two middle Linebacker positions and a 4th Linebacker comes in to play the weakside. Known as a "Rush", "Rover", "Jack" and/or "Buck" Linebacker, their responsibility is more pass rush based but often is called into run stop (gap control) and pass coverage.

yes, like Ware would be a "weak side LB"...although I never hear that term

I said earlier in here that the wiki page did a poor job of explaining it...it makes it sound as though LBs follow where ever the TE goes or something...

but for the most part, Ware lines up on the right, he doesn't care where the TE is...
Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Garrett will get sneaky and throw Ware on the left sometimes though...

confuses the QB at the RT is like "oh shit"...
Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #13
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Primetime.....is.......right!......ahhhhhhh

damn, that was a struggle gettin out
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Primetime.....is.......right!......ahhhhhhh

damn, that was a struggle gettin out
I am right 99.99999999% of the time in here...unless it is cocky homer type comment that I do quite often...

Romo > Montana
Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
I am right 99.99999999% of the time in here...unless it is cocky homer type comment that I do quite often...

Romo > Montana

lol!
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: