Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

Default How popular are the Celtics?

I would say they are third in New England behind the Pats and Sox(Red not the White one). I'm surpise consider their history but they don't have as many bandwagon and true fans as thoses teams do. I saw a old thread about this but it was gone for some reason. Lets keep it clean here.
Lebron Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
AK47DR91

Default Re: How popular are the Celtics?

I think C's are definitely 3rd behind the Sawks and Pats.

I feel that the only way, we'll be more popular than the Pats is if they(Pats) totally turned into a garbage team.

I hate to bring race into this but I feel that if Celtics can get a Bird or McHale-like players and win rings here then I'd say it's our only chance of having Celtics as the #1 team. Even over Red Sox for a short term.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

I agree with the Pats part. However I don't think they will take over the Red Sox for a long time to come.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

I also like to ask why the Celts aren't that popular here?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
Kobe8
Banned

There second to the lakers , Cuz of hollywood and lakers is in L.A.

And boston was only known cuz of the celtics.

but props to celtics for givin me a heart attack 3-2.
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron Bryant
I also like to ask why the Celts aren't that popular here?
Most fans are in the Boston/New England area, and I don't think a of them know about ISH.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
Most fans are in the Boston/New England area, and I don't think a of them know about ISH.

But other teams fans like the Lakers know ISH. I meant with a history like the Celts, why aren't they bigger?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
AK47DR91

Quote:
But other teams fans like the Lakers know ISH. I meant with a history like the Celts, why aren't they bigger?

Just my opinion...I think a lot of Laker fans are young and with a player like Kobe they will always generate a lot of new fans and fans outside their city/state.

This Celtics squad is more like the 2004 Pistons, where there no true superstar on the team but as a whole they are stars. Pierce is the closest superstar we got but he's nowhere near Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Melo or Nash or Dirk's level of popularity.

And also, a lot of die-hard C's fans are 35+ who remembered probably aren't as fanatics for the team as they were in the 80's.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #9
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
Just my opinion...I think a lot of Laker fans are young and with a player like Kobe they will always generate a lot of new fans and fans outside their city/state.

This Celtics squad is more like the 2004 Pistons, where there no true superstar on the team but as a whole they are stars. Pierce is the closest superstar we got but he's nowhere near Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Melo or Nash or Dirk's level of popularity.

And also, a lot of die-hard C's fans are 35+ who remembered probably aren't as fanatics for the team as they were in the 80's.

Got good points there. In your area, how big is the Celts and how is the demographic? Lot of Celtics fans I see are very young altough don't see as much of them as the past two years.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
AK47DR91

Quote:
Got good points there. In your area, how big is the Celts and how is the demographic? Lot of Celtics fans I see are very young altough don't see as much of them as the past two years.

I live in Western Ma and it borders New York state so I see a lot more Yankee fans than C's fan.

I think basketball is a lot bigger in urban and bigger cities. I live in a small town outside of Springfield and it's all about the Red Sox here with some Yankee fans as well. Mostly it's baseball and football around where i live.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:

well you have to remember the lakers own los angles fans hearts and minds, LA is a basketball town...
when magic came to town alot changed in LA, the lakers were suddenly on the same level as the dodgers and los angles rams and stayed that way and even grew in popularity as the lakers reeled off the 9 trips to the finals in magics time....
then the 90's came, the rams left town, the dodgers hit the skids and even thought the lakers were not as good a team they were relavent and always made the playoffs then kobe and shaq arrived the buzz grew louder and it hasn't stopped since...

also while thinking about it it occurs to me that the rams moved to LA in 1946, the dodgers 1950 and the lakers 1959 so unlike the bo-sox which have had boston's rapt attention since time began the lakers never had to compete against fan loyalty so deeply entrenched in the publics hearts, all they had to do was win and that's what they have done since they arrived pretty much...

add in the fact that even in the 60's the lakers have been drawing hollywood types to games and that level of star power both playing the game and watching is a certain way to generate public interest

both owners jack kent cooke and dr buss have always understood the best way to draw fans and create loyalty in LA is to win games...

there are longtime hardcore fans like myself, lots of us out there but for every guy like me there's another one that would become a clipper fan at the drop of a hat if lebron were to sign with the clipps... or will move on to the next superstar led team when kobe retires
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #12
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

Good points there gts. Another thing there not many fans would be sterotyping NBA players. I read someone say both LA and Boston would have 9 out of 10 players in jail. People make a big deal out of it. They don't say about this about the NFL yet NBA gets hate for this.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #13
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Good points there gts. Another thing there not many fans would be sterotyping NBA players. I read someone say both LA and Boston would have 9 out of 10 players in jail. People make a big deal out of it. They don't say about this about the NFL yet NBA gets hate for this.
just ignorance for the most part.. an nba team has what 12-15 players on it's roster and somewhere out there is a rainman type that can name every player on every nba roster, and any decent fan can name every player on his own team...

an nfl team has 65 and even the most diehard fan would be challenged to name every player on his own team! what that means is that if joe schmoe of the lakers gets busted everyone and their mother hears about it because its a known player, it's a national story in 24 hours because any basketball fan has probably heard of the guy...

if the fourth string offensive tackle of the bears gets popped for drunk and disorderly it never even makes the papers in chicago let alone los angels or new york because no one really cares....

colin cowherd read some stats a year ago on this subject and it was crazy how many nfl players are in trouble with the law yearly and it never gets off the back page of the sports section.. it was ten times the number of nba or mlb players that get in trouble but then their roster is alot bigger so it's not really a surprise...

i'll see if i can dig this up this weekend

edit: just found this.. this is a list of nfl players arrested since 2000, 505 arrests!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

Last edited by gts : 06-19-2010 at 01:57 AM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:27 AM   #14
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

edit: just found this.. this is a list of nfl players arrested since 2000, 505 arrests!

Jesus Christ, that's a lot!

Another difference in each league's off the court troubles is that the NBA usually get into off the court troubles every couple of years or so. Kobe in '03, Palace Brawl in '05?, Arenas recently with the gun incident. I know these were the major headliners so I'm sure I'm missing a few incidents.

NFL, on the other hand, gets into off the field trouble EVERY single year. This year it was Big Ben rape allegations, last year was McNair and Henry's strange death incidents, 2008 was the Plaxico gun thing, and I can't even tell how many shhit Pacman Jones got into with the law.

It's disgusting how biased some sports fans are in the way they look at the NBA.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #15
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
just ignorance for the most part.. an nba team has what 12-15 players on it's roster and somewhere out there is a rainman type that can name every player on every nba roster, and any decent fan can name every player on his own team...

an nfl team has 65 and even the most diehard fan would be challenged to name every player on his own team! what that means is that if joe schmoe of the lakers gets busted everyone and their mother hears about it because its a known player, it's a national story in 24 hours because any basketball fan has probably heard of the guy...

if the fourth string offensive tackle of the bears gets popped for drunk and disorderly it never even makes the papers in chicago let alone los angels or new york because no one really cares....

colin cowherd read some stats a year ago on this subject and it was crazy how many nfl players are in trouble with the law yearly and it never gets off the back page of the sports section.. it was ten times the number of nba or mlb players that get in trouble but then their roster is alot bigger so it's not really a surprise...

i'll see if i can dig this up this weekend

Well here is the Celtics roster list.

PLAYER POS HT WT DOB FROM YRS
20 Ray Allen G 6-5 205 07/20/1975 Connecticut 13
42 Tony Allen G 6-4 213 01/11/1982 Oklahoma State 5
7 Marquis Daniels G 6-6 200 01/07/1981 Auburn 6
11 Glen Davis F 6-9 289 01/01/1986 Louisiana State 2
40 Michael Finley G-F 6-7 225 03/06/1973 Wisconsin 14
Tony Gaffney F 6-8 205 11/14/1984 Massachusetts R
5 Kevin Garnett F 6-11 253 05/19/1976 Farragut Academy HS (IL) 14
0 Oliver Lafayette G 6-2 190 05/06/1984 Houston R
43 Kendrick Perkins C 6-10 280 11/10/1984 Clifton J. Ozen HS (TX) 6
34 Paul Pierce F 6-7 235 10/13/1977 Kansas 11
4 Nate Robinson G 5-9 180 05/31/1984 Washington 4
9 Rajon Rondo G 6-1 171 02/22/1986 Kentucky 3
44 Brian Scalabrine F 6-9 235 03/18/1978 USC 8
30 Rasheed Wallace F-C 6-11 230 09/17/1974 North Carolina 14
13 Shelden Williams F-C 6-9 250 10/21/1983 Duke 3

Don't think many people could name them but they think they are all "thugs". If they are saying all Celtics players are thugs, then why not called all the Patriots that. Belichick spy on a team once, Wilfork poke people into their eye, Brady a asshole, and Moss getting trouble with the law.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: