Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #16
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I hate the tone the article takes. As if it's even a decision. It's not a decision! Aldridge will be a near-all-star at worst; Bargnani is the most certain and obvious bust ever. Not only that but Bargnani is such a horrible fit for the Raptors that there should be a new word added to the English language to describe it that would mean "really, really, really, really ****ing horrible."

If Colangelo picks Bart over Aldridge... wow. Just wow. If you decide Aldridge will be a bust, fine, TRADE THE PICK. But even if Bart turns into Dirk Nowitzski overnight he still doesn't fit and he still doesn't solve any team needs. And they have a LOT of needs.

Post of the day award
TheReturnofCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:47 PM   #17
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
I don't think Bargnani will ever be as good as Dirk but no reasonable GM or any other high-up person in management would ever follow your line of thinking there.
Dirk is considered by some to be the best player in the NBA... and considered by all to be top 5. The chances of this guy being a top 20 player are next to none. But considering how often 7' white soft euros with jumpshots turn into NBA superstars are "worth it," I'd say don't pick him.

You have to have supreme faith in a player to take him over a guy who solves nearly every need your team has, is a better player now, and arguably has more potential. All the while this player is just like your draft picks of the last two years: 6'11, thin as a rail, jumpshooter, questionable in almost every area. Meanwhile you can get Aldridge. Lamarcus fricking Aldridge. And you turn that down for a one in a million shot at the next Dirk when you already have the next Dirk on your roster: Chris Bosh.

I just don't get it. HOW is this a decision. Unless Colangelo has a time machine and this guy is the next Larry Bird and KG rolled up into one, I can't see how anybody would consider taking Bart.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:09 PM   #18
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
You have to have supreme faith in a player to take him over a guy who solves nearly every need your team has, is a better player now, and arguably has more potential.

And that's probably where you and an NBA general manager differ in opinions. Bargnani has had a good season and recently in the past week is playing especially well in his teams playoffs. The top Euro league vs the NCAA's, hard to put one significantly over the other.

As for potential, it's all an opinion at the moment and I think most people are willing to trust the opinion of Colangelo on this one. If he sees Bargnani as the better talent, with all the access to video and scouting and other resources he has, then Bargnani is the pick.

The team needs aspect is irrelevant here. Both are power forwards who the Raptors are gonna try to pawn off as C's or let come off the bench for a season or maybe even play PF with Bosh at C. The Raptors already learned their lesson recently about picking for need and it ended with a gigantic waste of an 8th overall pick.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #19
humrey

GeeWiz as always is talking out his a$$....you haven't seen Bargnani or "bart" as you seem to call him, play...you haven't scouted him for the last 5yrs like BC...you're not bringing in the best european GM as an eye for talent who also happens to be Barg's GM, so basically STFU...

I'm not saying Barg is necessarily the right pick, but he's not a sure bust as you say and has a crazy amount of potential...i'd be happy with Aldridge, Gay, Morrison or Barg...i trust BC to make the right decision
Old 06-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #20
dpgreen
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
No doubt, truth be told though i would be most excited about Gay.

word. I've tried to convince myself I want aldridge, but I'd rather have Gay.
dpgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:48 PM   #21
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgreen
word. I've tried to convince myself I want aldridge, but I'd rather have Gay.

Your choice I guess.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:19 AM   #22
ThaKid
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsLakerfan4eva
Bosh is overrated.

im a really really really big raptors fan and i do think that bosh is a little overrated at times, jus a little, but thats only his game, the only reason that hes so big wiht everyone is that hes such a good team player, team leader, knows what to say, very humble and one of the top personalities in the nba and thats why i like him....i think sometimes people take his game better that what it really is....but he is still really really sik!!
ThaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:23 AM   #23
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
GeeWiz as always is talking out his a$$....you haven't seen Bargnani or "bart" as you seem to call him, play...you haven't scouted him for the last 5yrs like BC...you're not bringing in the best european GM as an eye for talent who also happens to be Barg's GM, so basically STFU...
He's a 7' euro white guy that shoots jumpers. I don't need to watch him play. I can tell you right now that Aldridge will be the better option for the Raptors. Without a shadow of a doubt. If he turns out to be better than Aldridge it won't be enough to justify picking a player that fits no needs. And that's if he isn't a complete bust altogether.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:42 AM   #24
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

^Defend that biitch!

^Number 1 Pick!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #25
dffsaf
Banned

Default man

manrat
dffsaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #26
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

What about Haywood and the #18 for the #1? If you're going to waste the pick like that, you might as well give it away and solve a need in the process. Hell, solve 2 needs. You can have Daniels too.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #27
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffsaf
arguably the best young bigman in the game happy, especially when hes playing for you....
I'd take Yao Ming and a healthy Amare over him...they're the only ones I can think of, though.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #28
craigthomasb
College star

srely the raps are going to trade #1 and alvin williams for #3 and hopefully still get aldridge

all the mock drafts have chicago taking ty thomas, which i think is just silly compared to aldridge but that would be the perfect draft for the raptors
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #29
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

I don't think Aldridge will still be around at #3, but I do like that trade, and we could easily still end up with Gay or Morrison (who I'm liking the idea of more and more)
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #30
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Cool

i think this article was written this way to negate any notion that aldridge didn't want to play in canada, not that he was the surefire #1 overall selection.

as a couple other raptor fans mentioned earlier, i don't care who the raptors pick, so long as colangelo and co. believe that he is the best player available.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: