Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board
Default Worst franchise in NFL History (Super Bowl era)?

Title says it all.

Who's the worst franchise in NFL history? Not who's the worst team this year. What franchise has had the worst history?

There are now 4 teams who have never appeared in a Super bowl; Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions.

Many will say the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but that is wrong. Tampa has a Super Bowl Title, something a lot of teams can't say, and the Bucs have made plenty of playoff appearances. When this franchise came into existence as an expansion team, it was different. There weren't supplemental drafts like there are today. Half of those players came off the street. I know the Bucs started 0-27, but it was a different time. And a few years after their birth, they were minutes away from the Super Bowl, losing to the Rams in the NFCCG.

The Saints are a worse franchise in my opinion than the Bucs. They've had less playoff apperances, less division titles and this is their first Super Bowl appearance. Even if they win, I still think Tampa Bay has a tiny lead over New Orleans. The Saints have only had like 10 winning seasons in their entire history. The BUCS ended their terrible 0-27 start with a win against the Aints.

How about the Detroit Lions? NEVER been to the Super Bowl even though they're one of the oldest franchises. They haven't won a playoff game in YEARS. Flat out doormant franchise.

The Browns? They were once a very good team, but have sucked more often than not lately.

Falcons? Only ONE B2B winning seasons, this past year.

Bengals?

In my opinion, I think the worst franchise overall throughout the history of the NFL is the Lions followed by the Saints.

Last edited by MK2V1GP : 02-07-2010 at 03:30 PM.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Worst franchise in NFL History?

The Browns?

Are we talking about their whole franchise history? If so, the Browns are near the TOP of the list. The Buccaneers are definitely bottom dwellers. One good decade and two sh*tty ones dont really mean much.

Come on man. Cleveland Browns: 480-387. 553 winning pct.

That is impressive as hell when you remember that includes the sh*tty ass new Browns and the fact that Baltimore should have been our team. Also, 8 Championships dont lie. That's third. 28 years in the playoffs, that's third.

Last edited by phoenix18 : 02-07-2010 at 02:08 PM.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

1976-2009 208 323 1 .392

TB Bucs fans

Also do your homework on NFL championships. And I dont see how Detroit and Clevland (especially) is on your list. Silly Bucs fans
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The SB win saves the Bucs from being at the bottom. The Browns are far from the worst franchise. I think they have the 6th highest win %, 8 championships (yeah, they're not the same as SB wins), a number of playoff appearances, they had just 1 losing season from 1946-1973, and just 7 from 1946-1990.

I'd probably say that Arizona is #1, Atlanta #2, New Orleans #3 (unless they win), Cincinnati #4, and Detroit #5.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board

I wasn't considering all that AFL/NFL stuff prior to the Super Bowl years. If we're including all of that, then forget about what I said. I should've been more specific. (How do you edit the title of a thread?)

Who is the worst franchise in the Super Bowl era?

I know Tampa has the lowest win percentage, but like I said, when we came into the league as an expansion team, its not like it is today. Expansion teams started from practically nothing. And I have no problem admitting we were a flat out joke for years. But people also don't realize how good we were in 1979. A great defense and we were minutes away from the Super Bowl....3 years after their expansion season and that 0-27 start. You can't say one Super Bowl title doesnt help cancel all that out.

And GOBB, I still think you're upset at

Last edited by MK2V1GP : 02-07-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
I wasn't considering all that AFL/NFL stuff prior to the Super Bowl years. If we're including all of that, then forget about what I said. I should've been more specific.

Oh.

Browns>>>>>>Bucs.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I wasn't considering all that AFL/NFL stuff prior to the Super Bowl years. If we're including all of that, then forget about what I said. I should've been more specific. (How do you edit the title of a thread?)

I know Tampa has the lowest win percentage, but like I said, when we came into the league as an expansion team, its not like it is today. Expansion teams started from practically nothing. And I have no problem admitting we were a flat out joke for years. But people also don't realize how good we were in 1979. A great defense and we were minutes away from the Super Bowl....3 years after their expansion season and that 0-27 start. You can't say one Super Bowl title doesnt help cancel all that out.

And GOBB, I still think you're upset at

Hardly upset at that. Funny thing to me was a TB Bucs fan having the balls to make a thread like this. Lets face it you're success wasnt even long term. And you werent really a conscience fan during the dog years. You came along the Dungry regime which made that pathetic franchise respectable. Is it the worst in the SB era? Probably not, but I dont see how a damn TB Bucs fan can run off at the mouth like this. I guess the word "humble" doesnt exist much like the NFL prior to the SB start.

My only issue. Some fans really need to pump thier breaks before poking out their chest. And TB Bucs fans are the last to go around the NFL shytting on franchises. Do your homework, learn the history of your own franchise.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Hardly upset at that. Funny thing to me was a TB Bucs fan having the balls to make a thread like this. Lets face it you're success wasnt even long term. And you werent really a conscience fan during the dog years. You came along the Dungry regime which made that pathetic franchise respectable. Is it the worst in the SB era? Probably not, but I dont see how a damn TB Bucs fan can run off at the mouth like this. I guess the word "humble" doesnt exist much like the NFL prior to the SB start.

My only issue. Some fans really need to pump thier breaks before poking out their chest. And TB Bucs fans are the last to go around the NFL shytting on franchises. Do your homework, learn the history of your own franchise.

Hey douche. What gives you the right to tell someone you've never known when he was a fan of a certain team. I've been a fan since I was 5 years old, and have never abandoned ship. If I weren't a real fan and haven't been along for the ride with my Bucs since I knew what football was, do you still think I'd be backing them after a 3-13 season like we just had? Don't ever imply I'm a bandwagon fan or haven't been through the rough years. Dumbass. I know about my franchise man. This is why you're a dumbass. You go around talking **** to people you have no reason to. A couple months ago, you continually criticized every one of my posts and I said something about it and you got all defensive. But its true. What did I do to you to piss you off all the time? I was just curious to see what other people thought was the worst franchise and I wanted to see how many people thought it was my favorite team.

And I even admitted, that overall, we're one of the worst franchises in history, there's no denying that. BUT, we're not the absolute WORST during the SB era. We're probably in the bottom 5.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:

We're probably in the bottom 5.

Agreed.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Agreed.

I just said that man. I'm not sad to be a Bucs fan. I'm proud to be a fan. I'm proud to be a TRUE fan. With all the bandwagon/fair weather fans these days, you should give true fans of teams like Tampa and St. Louis some credit. If Philly was winning only 3 games in a season, I doubt you'd be as supportive.

And thanks for your weak reply. Have nothing else to say? The two times I've come back at you like that, you either don't reply, or you do this.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Only one Bengals mention so far. *whew!*

If it wasn't for our 2 Super Bowl appearances, I'll be honest, we may take the cake as the worst franchise in NFL history. I wouldn't have any real beef with someone who put them in the worst top 5.

Since 2003, we have actually been pretty average. Not horrible, but average (besides 05 and this past year.).

I think we have shed the "Bungles" label, but looking at the overall history.......yeah, pretty bad
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

I would say the Bucs have had a worse overall franchise than the Bengals. But its close. We have a Super Bowl. But ya'll have a lot more wins overall. tampa has just had better recent success. I really wish Cincy didn't have to face the Niners those two years, or the Bengals would have two SB Titles. Its kinda like the Jazz would've won two titles if it weren't for the Bulls.

I come in here and admit my team is bottom 5 and get criticized. But I, unlike others, give you props mlh1981, for bein real. I won't crap all over you like I got crap.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
The Browns are far from the worst franchise. I think they have the 6th highest win %, 8 championships (yeah, they're not the same as SB wins), a number of playoff appearances, they had just 1 losing season from 1946-1973, and just 7 from 1946-1990.

True, they are nowhere near worst all time. But they indeed take the cake for this past decade. From 1999 - 2009 no other organization is worse
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I would say The Falcons are the worst. They have only had consecutive winning seasons once in their entire existence. Think about that stat for a second.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
I would say The Falcons are the worst. They have only had consecutive winning seasons once in their entire existence. Think about that stat for a second.

True

And that "once" was this year, when they finished, 9-7 (right?) and their last win to finally have back to back winning seasons came against Tampa bay in the final game of the season lol.

Throw the Falcons in the top 5. They were also perhaps one of the worst Super Bowl teams ever when they made it against Denver.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: