Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 06-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Steve Smith breaks his arm, again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...keep-it-quiet/

Quote:
Steve Smith breaks arm again, tried to keep it quiet

Posted by Mike Florio on June 21, 2010 12:39 PM ET
The injury woes in Carolina continue. Not long ago, linebacker Thomas Davis tore an ACL during offseason workouts.

Now, receiver Steve Smith has broken his arm while playing flag football in a North Carolina adult league. Adam Schefter of ESPN was the first to report it; we have since confirmed it.

We're told that the break occurred in the same arm he broke late in the 2009 season. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Smith already has had surgery on the arm, and that he'll miss the beginning of camp.

It happened, we're told, as Smith tried to deflect a pass. His arm struck another player, and he instantly knew he had been injured. He also called together his flag football teammates and urged them to not say anything to anyone about the injury.

So much for that.

While Schefter characterizes the injury as having occurred at Smith's "football camp," we're told that it actually happened in the championship game of an adult flag football league in which Smith and other NFL players had participated for the entire duration of the league's season. Also taking part, we're told, were Panthers receiver Kenny Moore and former Panthers quarterback Josh McCown.

More to come on this one.

UPDATE: The Panthers have officially confirmed the injury.

0-16 here we come.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

Default Re: Steve Smith breaks his arm, again.

the first thing i thought when i heard about it was that Jimmy Clausen was f*****

do the Panthers have any other receivers? (that are good)
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
the first thing i thought when i heard about it was that Jimmy Clausen was f*****

do the Panthers have any other receivers? (that are good)

We've got Wallace Wright, Dwayne Jarrett and a bunch of rookies.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Flag football?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

I was coming here to post this too. The report I saw said he broke it playing at a children's football camp. This article was posted no less than 20 minutes ago:

Quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith will miss the start of training camp with a broken left forearm.

Blame it on a game of flag football with kids.

Playing the non-contact brand of football with children at his camp Saturday, the four-time Pro Bowl pick fell and fractured his left arm. He’ll be sidelined for at least the first couple of weeks of camp, but is expected to be ready for the season opener Sept. 12 at the New York Giants.

“They were messing around, the ball went over his head and he slipped,” agent Derrick Fox said Monday. “He put his arm out to brace himself. When he did he felt a sharp pain. He went in (Sunday) afternoon to have an X-ray and it showed a break.”

Smith had surgery Sunday night to have a small plate and screws inserted in his arm. Fox said while it’s the same arm he broke at the end of last season, it’s in a different spot and not his wrist. Smith suffered no nerve damage, is expected to make a full recovery and could return as soon as midway through the preseason.

Smith annually hosts a youth football camp in Charlotte which began Thursday, the day after the Panthers concluded voluntary spring workouts.

“Steve talked to me and he feels terrible about it,” Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. “Now his focus is on rehabilitating process and getting back as quickly as he can.”

The 31-year-old Smith ranks first in team history with 58 touchdowns and 32 games of 100 or more yards receiving. Smith, who led the NFL in catches, yards receiving and touchdown catches in 2005, had 65 catches for 982 yards and seven touchdowns in 15 games last season.

His absence from the start of camp on July 28 will coincide with major changes made at quarterback for Carolina. The Panthers released longtime starter Jake Delhomme(notes), promoted Matt Moore(notes) to starter and drafted Jimmy Clausen(notes) of Notre Dame in the second round.

The Panthers also enter the season looking for a No. 2 receiver after Muhsin Muhammad(notes) wasn’t re-signed and then retired.

Man, for him to be such a beast on the field, he can be soooo fragile at times. It seems like he gets hurt at least once per year.

How does one of the top WRs in the NFL fracture his arm playing FLAG FOOTBALL with CHILDREN?

He'll be ready for the regular season, so it shouldnt be that big of a deal, but he's super fragile nowadays.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
craigthomasb
College star

he will be alright for the start of the season im sure, losing thomas davis is bad news, still not quite enough talent on the team to do any damage as far as im concerned
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

On a side note, this is why the NFL is so great. Two years ago, it was the Bucs and Panthers dominating the NFC South. Now those two teams are rebuilding and the Falcons and Saints are on top.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
On a side note, this is why the NFL is so great. Two years ago, it was the Bucs and Panthers dominating the NFC South. Now those two teams are rebuilding and the Falcons and Saints are on top.

Hello parity!

Last edited by GOBB : 06-21-2010 at 03:39 PM.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I'm guessing he will be good to start the season. I hope he has fun dealing with double and triple coverage all season.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I'm guessing he will be good to start the season. I hope he has fun dealing with double and triple coverage all season.

What are you talking about? Don't you remember they traded UP to get App State QB Armanti Edwards to use him as a WR?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Flag football?

First thing I thought of. How in the f*ck do you break your arm in motherf*cking flag football?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
AirGauge23
Sound the Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP

Thank Heaven for the AFC West.
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
PowerGlove
By Any Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I'm guessing he will be good to start the season. I hope he has fun dealing with double,triple,quadruple and quintuple coverage all season.

That is the summary of Steve Smith's career.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGauge23
Thank Heaven for the AFC West.

No one else in the AFC West has been relevant for the past 5 years other than the Chargers. I remember for a few years the Chiefs owned that division in the earlier 00's. The Broncos have started out strong the past 3 years, but always choke.

I think it's safe to say the West divisions from both conferences are a joke. KC, SD, Oak, Den, StL, Arz, SF, Sea
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

It's a shame... Carolina was definitely heading to the Super Bowl this year!

QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: