Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
alexthegr8
Kids at the park dunk on me

alexthegr8 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: John Wall is very overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
It looked like he was dogging it.
Other workout videos of his look much better.
I don't think he wants to play for the Wizards.

Well, who among us can blame the kid for not wanting to play for Washington? Just kidding Wizards fans :).

But really, he seems sincere in his desire to want to play for the Wiz (or at least to be the number one pick in the draft, something that he's said repeatedly was a dream of his), I just think that it was a half speed, non chalant workout. Why would he need to push himself in a workout for a team that is definitely going to pick him barring a catastrophic injury, or a cataclysmic event? I doubt the team even wanted to see him push himself very hard since they've clearly already made up their minds on the matter, and the only thing that can come out of an intensive workout would be an unfortunate injury.
alexthegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
steve

steve is considered somewhat coolsteve is considered somewhat coolsteve is considered somewhat cool

Second opinion? Draft Express Workout.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

We will soon see if he is overrated or not. I will wait until the season starts.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
alexthegr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Second opinion? Draft Express Workout.

He and Rondo both have weirdly long arms. Just abnormally long arms.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #20
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean
We will soon see if he is overrated or not. I will wait until the season starts.
This.

I dont think his numbers are going to blow the world away. I think he'll have a Baron Davis-like career in the NBA. A guy who people will always claim was worth the #1 pick and is a Top 10 PG but never the top PG in the NBA. There isn't 1 thing about Wall's game in my opinion that is head & shoulders above everyone else in the NBA.

Wall is fast, so was Mike Conley.
Wall is tall, so was Shaun Livingston.
Wall is athletic, so was Steve Francis.

People get too caught up on measurables instead of focusing on the player. He does a lot of things well but nothing great.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #21
alexthegr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
This.

I dont think his numbers are going to blow the world away. I think he'll have a Baron Davis-like career in the NBA. A guy who people will always claim was worth the #1 pick and is a Top 10 PG but never the top PG in the NBA. There isn't 1 thing about Wall's game in my opinion that is head & shoulders above everyone else in the NBA.

Wall is fast, so was Mike Conley.
Wall is tall, so was Shaun Livingston.
Wall is athletic, so was Steve Francis.

People get too caught up on measurables instead of focusing on the player. He does a lot of things well but nothing great.

I agree with this somewhat, but I think what makes Wall a unique player is his combination of gifts, not any one trait. Conley and Wall are both fast no doubt, but Conley isn't nearly as tall or long as Wall, and he doesn't have the same growth potential as Wall either (in this instance I'm referring to ability to add good weight.) Livingston is tall, taller than Wall even, but he didn't change ends nearly as well as Wall does IMO. Francis is athletic, but he isn't as tall, long or as gifted a playmaker as Wall is. Because Wall combines unique size for the position with speed, explosiveness, length, skill and very good intangibles, I believe his physical package is pretty rare for this league.

I don't think he'll be the best pg in the league though (he might, but I don't think that he will.) I can see him being a top 5 pg in the league in the next five seasons, behind Deron Williams, CP3 and perhaps Rose, but in the same stratosphere as Russell Westbrook and Rajon Rondo.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #22
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)

Yung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8
I agree with this somewhat, but I think what makes Wall a unique player is his combination of gifts, not any one trait. Conley and Wall are both fast no doubt, but Conley isn't nearly as tall or long as Wall, and he doesn't have the same growth potential as Wall either (in this instance I'm referring to ability to add good weight.) Livingston is tall, taller than Wall even, but he didn't change ends nearly as well as Wall does IMO. Francis is athletic, but he isn't as tall, long or as gifted a playmaker as Wall is. Because Wall combines unique size for the position with speed, explosiveness, length, skill and very good intangibles, I believe his physical package is pretty rare for this league.

I don't think he'll be the best pg in the league though (he might, but I don't think that he will.) I can see him being a top 5 pg in the league in the next five seasons, behind Deron Williams, CP3 and perhaps Rose, but in the same stratosphere as Russell Westbrook and Rajon Rondo.
Rondo is and will continue to be ahead or Rose so I don't see how wall would be in the same stratosphere
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
tgan3
Local High School Star

tgan3 has decent reputation

This thread deserves to be deleted. John Wall is a future superstar and if you can't see that you're blind.

i'll pull up this thread one year later and you would see how silly you are..
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #24
alexthegr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
Rondo is and will continue to be ahead or Rose so I don't see how wall would be in the same stratosphere

Yeah, I was doing a little projecting with my list (hence the "in five seasons" qualifier.) I'm a huge, huge Rondo fan, but I think that Rose has more upside than him, and will surpass him at some point down the road. Maybe he won't, but if I had to give my best guess, I would predict that he will at some juncture.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #25
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)

Yung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgan3
This thread deserves to be deleted. John Wall is a future superstar and if you can't see that you're blind.

i'll pull up this thread one year later and you would see how silly you are..

Funny

I heard that about Kwame Brown
Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #26
tgan3
Local High School Star

tgan3 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
Funny

I heard that about Kwame Brown

What.. is John Wall even compared to Kwame now?

Kwame sucks period, he was just a 7footer who uses his physical gifts to dominate in high school. Wall is a proven prospect in college with big game.

See the difference!
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #27
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Yeah, I was doing a little projecting with my list (hence the "in five seasons" qualifier.) I'm a huge, huge Rondo fan, but I think that Rose has more upside than him, and will surpass him at some point down the road. Maybe he won't, but if I had to give my best guess, I would predict that he will at some juncture.

Rose's upside is higher than any PG in the NBA(probably ever at the PG position). I just dont know what people think his ceiling could be.

If this is as good as he gets hes still a consistent All Star selection. That says a lot.

Rondo gets better each season also.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:

Kwame sucks period, he was just a 7footer who uses his physical gifts to dominate in high school. Wall is a proven prospect in college with big game.

Thats not true at all. Kwame tested out and showed how good he was up until the NBA Draft, its not like he was some giant from the middle of nowhere he was a top recruit expected to be great at Florida.

Kwame failed because he had no desire to win, had small butterfingers, and was immature.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #29
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)

Quote:

See the difference!
Quote:
One of John Wooden’s alumni from UCLA who didn’t achieve NBA expectations, Washington had a mediocre six season career. Washington’s first two NBA seasons showed promise, as he averaged roughly 13 points-per-game and 8.5 rebounds-per-game in those seasons. After those seasons, Washington’s career derailed and did not live up to the expectations and achievements of most UCLA alumni.

Richard Washington so great college players can't be bust?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #30
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Well said.

I was just pointing out overall skill, I cant think of 1 thing John Wall does that puts him over the Top 5 PG's in the NBA. I got the Baron Davis comparison from that because Baron is cursed in the same way. Does everything well, but nothing great enough to be considered #1.

I'll just add on that Francis is 6'3, stronger, and was a playmaker in his prime.

Quote:
I feel the same way. I think he'll always be up there but I dont think he'll ever be a guy you say is #1 or #2 or #3 for that matter.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: