Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
gblz
I airball my layups

gblz has an OK reputation so far
Default Ankle Injury

So I rolled my ankle about a month and a half ago. I've proceeded with the traditional R.I.C.E. treatment after the injury, walked with crutches and all that. But my ankle is still not 100%. It just seems kind of off that it's taking this long to heal from a sprained ankle.

If anyone has any tips about recovering from a sprained ankle, please fill me in on it.
gblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Ankle Injury

If you've done that and it's still not 100%, I think it's time for rehab. You'll need to strengthen the ligaments and muscles in/around your ankle. If you can't go to one, stretch your calves regularly and do ankle movement exercises using resistance bands. Would help some, if I remember right.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea you have to start strengthening it. A sprained ankle can take a long time to heal.. but obv. you sprained it worse than normal. It happens though dude... the injuries I've gotten lately have even healed and it's been 6 months... and they are not 6 month injuries. You just have to role with it. By doing low impact exercises, it will get the blood flowing to that area and the muscles around the ankle will get stronger... and then boom it will heal. Just make sure whatever you do isn't too uncomfortable and doesn't hurt... some slight discomfort it ok, but you be the judge. You know you body.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
just chill
Can barely lace up my sneakers

just chill has an OK reputation so far

I recently sprained mine too. I read if you walk/run on a inclined treadmill it speeds up the process by building the muscles around your ankles. Also try wearing a different pair of shoes. I sprained my ankle in low top baskeetball sneaks now whenever i play i go back to my jays. Try to keep it wrapped in a ace bandage. hope i helped .

when will i be able to make my own threads?
just chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
gblz
I airball my layups

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll start on some light exercises/workouts and see how it goes.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
just chill

just chill has an OK reputation so far

good luck
just chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

I will never buy the low top/high top theory when it comes to ankle sprains. If you land on somebodies foot, you are spraining your ankle no matter what. If you just roll it on your own that is your own damn fault don't blame the shoes... you were either too tired and couldn't pick up your feet right, or you just took a bad step. My dude sprained his ankle 3 times in 6 months wearing high tops... I got my Kobe V's now and they are the best damn basketball shoe I've ever played in. Last time I sprained my ankle (bout a year ago) I was in high tops and I landed on someones foot... nothing I could do about that. It lasted about a 10 days and then I was back playing.

Just my little rant
Old 04-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #8
aintn0busta

aintn0busta has an OK reputation so far

I sprained my right ankle pretty bad about a month and a half ago. I also had the whole crutches, bandage icepack thing going on too. Had to go to physical therapy for it and basically I was told to just do ankle exercises and ice it afterwards.
My therapist also told me that the simple act of rotating your foot around helps a lot too, even if you don't have any resistance bands. I also had to work on getting my balance back by standing on this half cylinder. After doing all that somewhat irregularly, I'm back to about 80% of what my ankle was before i sprained it.
aintn0busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak

DarkSephiroth has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I will never buy the low top/high top theory when it comes to ankle sprains. If you land on somebodies foot, you are spraining your ankle no matter what. If you just roll it on your own that is your own damn fault don't blame the shoes... you were either too tired and couldn't pick up your feet right, or you just took a bad step. My dude sprained his ankle 3 times in 6 months wearing high tops... I got my Kobe V's now and they are the best damn basketball shoe I've ever played in. Last time I sprained my ankle (bout a year ago) I was in high tops and I landed on someones foot... nothing I could do about that. It lasted about a 10 days and then I was back playing.

Just my little rant

I actually agree. I have played in lows for the later half of my career. I wear the line of Nike shoes that went from :Jet Flight => Zoom Drive => BB (II) Low=>Zoom MVP. I wore all of those shoes religiously Of course, I have a history of bad ankle sprains, but...I feel I hurt myself less often playing in lows.

When I was playing College Ball, we were given Team Shoes. They were Nike Shox Elite TB (High Top). We had to wear tape or braces every practice. Fact is, I hurt myself far more often when I was wearing those shoes than any other shoe I have ever worn in my life. I was spraining my ankle roughly every month and a half or so; it was pretty ridiculous. I always noticed that the shoes felt so high up off the ground to me, compared to my low-shoes that I'm used to wearing that hug the ground.
Due to this, I believe that the base-balance of the shoe is actually the most important aspect of a shoe's ankle support.
I actually just sprained my right ankle 3 weeks ago, and I'm still recovering from the partially torn ligament in my left ankle from October.

But yes, you really need to start with RICE. When the pain is mostly gone, you should start doing flexibility exercises. I do them every day with a Theraband on both ankles. After your flexibility is getting better and your strength returns, you should start doing some basic strength and balance exercises, like Standing on one leg and Calf-raises.

In addition, you need to be consistently stretching. For the ankle, stretch out the calfs well. One thing I have noticed is that an ankle injury puts more stress on the rest of the body, because your body has to compensate for the injured ankle. This will set some of your other muscles out of wack. You need to stretch all parts of your legs to ensure that your muscles are in the best shape they can be. After you exercise, ice it, on both sides.

I do all this nearly every day, and have been for the past 6 months or so. You won't actually be able to notice much improvement, and it's gradual, but I think it works.
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

here's something that might help which aligns with some of the stuff people have been saying regarding strengthening/rehabbing ankles

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru49.htm
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

I agree with Swaggin on the hightop-low top thing. As for the ankle itself. Need to get rid of edema first. Ice, movement in pain free motion, effluerage, compression sleeve. Then get the entire motion back with stretching and mobility. Then move on to strength with calf raises, ankle 4-way, etc. Of course, some of these are done concurrently and not as a seperate entitity.

Sprains of the ankle can and do last upwards of 6+ months, even after one is able to return to the court the injury is still present and healing. (we are always on our feet and moving the ankle, therefore presenting the joint with constant inflammation) Since it should be the off season if you are in high school, take it slow. I personally wouldn't use a brace or tape for more than a few weeks once you return to the court.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
gblz
I airball my layups

Lots of great information, thanks guys. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with H.E.M? It's supposedly an ankle treatment program that works better than the traditional R.I.C.E.

I haven't been able to find anyone who's tried it personally. But I think the basic idea is to start rehab ASAP - like doing range of motion exercises right away and then icing the ankle.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblz
Lots of great information, thanks guys. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with H.E.M? It's supposedly an ankle treatment program that works better than the traditional R.I.C.E.

I haven't been able to find anyone who's tried it personally. But I think the basic idea is to start rehab ASAP - like doing range of motion exercises right away and then icing the ankle.

Any thoughts?

Yea that's pretty much how you heal stuff... you just do little exercises to stimulate the muscles in and around the problem area and then you ice the shit out of it.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblz

Any thoughts?

I agree, though never heard of the acronym HEM. Move the ankle in a pain free arc. There is some that would even say traction (pulling) the ankle is a great way to come back earlier as well.

http://www.jumpstretch.com/osc/catal...products_id=91
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
JerrySteakhouse
WE FIGHT! WE FIGHT!

JerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I messed up my ankle too. Happened a couple of weeks ago, really hoping it heals quick since i got a ball tourney comimng up 3-4 weeks. Going to be a coming out party, haven't played a organized game for couple years but im not gonna dissappoint, gonna give it my all.

R.I.C.E. is helpful but man it doesn't do it all for you. I've messed up my ankles many times and the best thing to do is some physio to be honest. Worst case atleast just use those resistant bands to help strengthen your ankle and help gain some motion.

Also, the low cut thing does matter, i've played ball with low cuts and rolled on it and i fractured it and tore ligaments. When i don't wear low cuts and roll my ankle it isnt as bad but either way you cant prevent the injury.
JerrySteakhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: