Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #16
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Training Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
Yes, that sounds right. The only problem is that other players and even some coaches don't want me to play that way. I want to be the best all-around player I can be and for me to become that player I need to make my weaknesses my strengths. I am slow, especially the acceleration and have a bad verticle jump. I want to be able to get faster, which is really important for me right now. My feet on defense are way too slow as well, so I am training a lot with the speed ladder. The lateral quickness has to improve. I also need to be able to react quicker in order to become a better defender, working with tennis balls (exercises can be found on the nikebasketball version of sparq).

I use physio balls, medicine balls, etc. etc. a lot. I do a lot of weight lifting these days since I can't do much leg training. I focus on upper body and mostly on core strength and balance. That will change once I get cleared by the doctor.

To sum it up, I want to become a better player by focusing on the weaknesses. That will make me a much more polished offensive player and at least a decent defensive player. I don't want to be one dimensional.

What is your vertical? Have you measured it or your 40 yard time?
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

No sir. Both are below average, can assure you that. I believe getting faster and having a higher vertical will help my game a lot. Before all the knee troubles I couldn't dunk at 6'2, got close tho. That's not good. Was still an estimated 2 inches away from dunking. I will do it once I am cleared to do some program. Will post the results here.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Getting into better shape will benefit my speed and jumping ability as well. I can still cut down on the fat but that's mostly diet. Hate that.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
First of all, I need soles in my shoes because my feet are flat (= knees are out of position) but more importantly I have played ball for years, practically every day until I started to grow 10 inches a year. Afterwards my knees became horrible, it is the overuse of both knees. Pretty bad too. I've had it for over a year now.

My physical therapist allows me to play basketball, football, running as long as my knee feels great. No sprinting tho. But I haven't heard anything about not being able to do the speed ladder. Right now I won't do it because my knee is really f-cked up but on some days I will, mostly focusing on form instead of doing too much. I have to do strength training, don't get me wrong here, just not those exercises. I have to do knee and leg strengthening exercises (squats, leg press, leg extension) 4 times a week.

Sucks dude... well at least you can still play sports.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Swaggin, do you think swimming once a week to get into shape and strengthen my knee will really be bad for my vertical jumping ability and speed? I don't think doing so once a week can have a huge effect.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Swaggin, do you think swimming once a week to get into shape and strengthen my knee will really be bad for my vertical jumping ability and speed? I don't think doing so once a week can have a huge effect.

I really like swimming for my knee... it really helps it every time I do it. The problem is, it's hard on my hamstring so I can no longer do it. Nah once or twice a week shouldn't hurt at all. It should help if you don't feel any pain.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Okay, since swimming isn't exactly explosiveness training. I think swimming will be great training for my knee so I will do it. I'm also going to do that 4 week football program (the exercises which I may do) to see what I need to add in order to make the final program. I'll start next week, including swimming. I can add swimming since I have no basketball practice or games yet and the 4 week program is only 3 days a week.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #23
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

I think I might be able to dunk very soon once I am cleared to work on my legs again. Even though I only did some basic leg and knee strengthening exercises, which included squats with no weights I still upped my vertical jump. And I was in terrible condition. I was also faster. Can't wait to get back into shape and be able to perform on the court.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:03 AM   #24
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Nearly finished the first week of the Nike Sparq program. Will do the final workout today. I really like it even though all that bench pressing is exhausting. I like some of the on-field drills and I absolutely love the Icky Shuffle. Will post again after today's workout and looking at the next week.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:05 AM   #25
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
What is your vertical? Have you measured it or your 40 yard time?

I will test them once I finished my current 4-week program, once I start the real program and when I finish that one.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 AM   #26
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Nearly finished the first week of the Nike Sparq program. Will do the final workout today. I really like it even though all that bench pressing is exhausting. I like some of the on-field drills and I absolutely love the Icky Shuffle. Will post again after today's workout and looking at the next week.

Yup Ickey Shuffle is the shit
Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #27
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

There is a lot of weight training and it is definitely helping me. Two weeks ago the highest bench press I recorded was about 154 (I know, it's terrible but I never try to measure my maximum by doing one rep) and that's how much weight I used for the first week. I am now starting week 3 and I did 198 yesterday. It's still not a lot but it's still a huge improvement IMO. Hope I can keep this up. I'm not one of those guys who lies about having a 40 yard dash of 4.25, a 43 inch vertical and a 300 lbs bench press.

In my opinion being 6'3, 193 lbs. and being able to bench 198 puts you well above the average shooting guard here. I don't know how the 2's are near you guys?

My knees felt better yesterday so I put in some real sprintwork on the field, feels great. I love being exhausted once I'm done with that. Only problem is I'm headed into the weight room after that workout.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #28
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea and you actually shouldn't feel exhausted before you hit the weights. That was my problem on VJB, I was always tired and I didn't feel like doing a bunch of weight. You should feel like you are rocked and ready to roll... like after that first game of pickup.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #29
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea and you actually shouldn't feel exhausted before you hit the weights. That was my problem on VJB, I was always tired and I didn't feel like doing a bunch of weight. You should feel like you are rocked and ready to roll... like after that first game of pickup.

Yeah fortunately I can motivate myself before entering the weight room. I like the fact that I worked hard and can put in more work after that. Just make sure I had enough sleep and good food in my body before starting every workout. It's just three times a week so I have enough energy everyday. The first week was hard but I am getting used to it. Just over halfway now.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #30
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

I was very dissapointed in my bench press today, couldn't lift 209 and couldn't lift 198.

Swaggin, do you think this is the right way to increase the max power in my bench press and the amount of reps I'll be able to do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLN0vr4nQDw

if not, what do you suggest?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: