Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
alexthegr8
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default Re: John Wall Sports Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Not really, I have played with a ton of players that could do that. I'm not sure that I couldn't do that myself on the first try. I actually think Wall's passing isnt one of his strong points, he is gonna have to work on it because it doesnt come natural to him imo.

A behind the back pass to a target 15 feet away using only your peripheral vision after quickly discerning which hoop to pass it through at a moments notice is impressive. I don't know whether you or your mates could do it on your first try, but I'd bet against it.

I agree with you that Wall doesn't have the elite vision or the great feel for when to pass the ball of a Nash or Chris Paul, but his touch when passing the ball (the actual technical aspect of passing the ball) is as good as any player in the league IMO. That's what that drill showed to a limited extent IMO.
alexthegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #17
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegr8
A behind the back pass to a target 15 feet away using only your peripheral vision after quickly discerning which hoop to pass it through at a moments notice is impressive. I don't know whether you or your mates could do it on your first try, but I'd bet against it.

I agree with you that Wall doesn't have the elite vision or the great feel for when to pass the ball of a Nash or Chris Paul, but his touch when passing the ball (the actual technical aspect of passing the ball) is as good as any player in the league IMO. That's what that drill showed to a limited extent IMO.

Again I disagree...the most important part of passing is putting the right amount of pace, spin etc. on the ball. Touch would be controlling the pace and placement of the ball and the ability to put spin on it at a moments notice when necessary...To pretend like he is even in the same category as Steve Nash or Jkidd is a huge slight to them. To even put him above a forward like Lebron James is a slight..
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #18
alexthegr8
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Again I disagree...the most important part of passing is putting the right amount of pace, spin etc. on the ball. Touch would be controlling the pace and placement of the ball and the ability to put spin on it at a moments notice when necessary...To pretend like he is even in the same category as Steve Nash or Jkidd is a huge slight to them. To even put him above a forward like Lebron James is a slight..

I understand the requisite components of passing a basketball (that drill tested mainly ball placement, but IMO, he has the other elements down pat too), and it's ok that we disagree. I think that Wall is going to surprise a lot of people with his passing prowess throughout his NBA career. He doesn't have the tremedous court sense of Kidd and Nash (an integral part of what people call "vision", which is basically a catch all term for anticipation, elite understanding of how to read a defense etc.), but you'll see a number of perfectly placed, beautiful passes from the kid that show off the technical side of his passing ability from his first day in the league IMO.
alexthegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #19
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
I grew up playing AAU with NBA players on my AAU squad(one was a much better dunker than Wall, and has a higher vert)...The people I play with now are just former D1 and D2 players...I doubt they can dunk on Jerry Stackhouse in a game situation, but they are pretty athletic.

All Im saying is that the segment looks dumb when they act like passing to stationary targets is some display of court vision.

lol ill take it you werent good enough to make it on the college level
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #20
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
lol ill take it you werent good enough to make it on the college level

I played small college ball but that is irrelevant.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
I played small college ball but that is irrelevant.

d3?
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #22
FireMcFailPlease
Loserville USA

loL @ the john wall dance when he was wired up
FireMcFailPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #23
JustinJDW

Another overrated young PG prospect.